What tools do you need for to completely install a long-arm suspension lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What tools do you need for to completely install a long-arm suspension lift.

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
umphreak
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What tools do you need for to completely install a long-arm suspension lift.

Everything. From the smallest screwdriver or clamp to a wirefeed welder. Jacks and stands as well. Absolutely everything.

Sets are acceptable (ie wrench set, socket set) but if it's an odd size please specify.

If the reason for the tool isn't obvious, please specify why it's needed.

If there are tools that would make it easier, but aren't absolutely needed, include them but indicate that they aren't essential.

umphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

IDK, but holy crap you're asking the members of this forum to do absolutely every bit of searching FOR YOU!

How about you search, then ask nicely rather than demand info
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

Most install manuals include what is needed for the install.
Meep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
umphreak
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wasn't really demanding information, I was just wondering.

This is more of a thought experiment, I want to see the different opinions and different (if there are any) methods.

It's not like I'm going to get a list and go out and buy this stuff. I was just wondering what people thought.
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I kind of agree with cesaros but not to that extreme...
I mean really... who would know exactly how many jack stands you need other than you can never have too many...
Welder... depends, do you have a weld on kit or a bolt on kit???

Last, you're going to get more about people talking you out of long arms... Mid arms work well cause a short wheelbase TJ cannot handle large lifts and be of any benefit other than looks.

Get a budget boost ( BB ) which are simply spring spacers to give you 2" of lift, then some aggressive 31" tires and go play... If you still have money burning a hole in your pocket, Get the Savvy Under Armor, an SYE and a DC driveshaft. This will give you more belly clearance so you won't drag the skidplate... and no matter what you do to the Jeep later on, the only money wasted will be the BB but they are usually $100 or less so its not bad to sell off when you do a lift.
Spend at least a year looking at the forum regularly reading about anything and everything. You'll learn a lot and more importantly, you won't waste money on crap...
like I did on my Rusty's steering... total junk, created a dead spot in the steering and I can't adjust the toe in / out except for one revolution at a time which is not good, I have bupm steer and everything from it...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
3fifty

You need this tool and only this tool.
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 07-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ that'd be the best tool you can have. Free of charge make sure you use the piss out of it. You're only doing your self a favor

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Four 6-ton jackstands, two 12-ton jackstands, and two floor jacks. Assorted air tools including impact, ratchet, and angle drill. An angle grinder and sawsall. Impact sockets in metric and standard. Open and closed end wrenches in metric and standard. Pliers, vice grips, prybars, and both regular and phillips screw drivers of various sizes. Crescent wrenches, a pipe wrench, and hammers that include dead blow, rubber, hand sledge and regular. A 1/2" drill motor and various sizes of drill bits. A good torque wrench is mandatory. Don't forget safety glasses, mechanics gloves, bandages and duct tape for your mouth because there will likely be injuries along the way and the temptation to use some rather colorful language at times.

Sent from DROID2

Last edited by robncar; 07-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Stupid typo!
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ratchet strap for the trackbars.
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The ability to use a tape measure and welder, along with everything Robncar said.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
umphreak
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew this thread would probably get some people telling me to just search around, so that's okay.

I'm just starting to build up my garage, I'm trying to make one major tool purchase per month as it's really all I can afford. At the same time I'm trying to save up for a lift and 33s, still not sure on what lift to get.

Tags
garage , lift , tools

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.