What "stage" are you in your build? Me, I'm at 0. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What "stage" are you in your build? Me, I'm at 0.

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What "stage" are you in your build? Me, I'm at 0.

So, we have all seen the Quadratec "Stage Buildups".

Just wondering if anyone followed these, and what they think about Quad's selections.

Here is the 3 stages of their 97 TJ

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

What I really want to know (and yes, my jeep is stock) is what is REALLY needed out of these upgrades and what is just "sensless add-ons"

I plan to do a Stage 1 myself this winter/spring and have thought about the "givens" - Tires, lift, bumpers, armor. But all the "little" things I am not so sure about. New wires and plugs? C(ool)AI? Headlights?

Given that most of you have modded your rig, what would you consider a Stage 1 upgrade?

I mean where is a newb suppose to go to find out what NEEDS to be done so he doesn't ruin his baby?

Thanks in advance

~Nick.

Neeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
iwishihad1

no such thing as stages in the jeep world. thats purely a ricer term.....and a very annoying one at that.

me hearing "yea, i just put a stage 3 intake, and exhaust kit on my honda" honestly makes me want to slap a baby.

theres far to many different ways to build a jeep for there to be categorical stages. some people who want to low COG might run stock suspension, with dana 60s and 38s. its been done many times before, but to say their jeep isn't stage " " because it isn't lifted isn't right.
[CENTER]1995 fire red XJ, new 4.0, ARB safari snorkel, sye, front DS, aussie locked 8.8 5:13s 38 SXs, trussed/locked 44 front, hydro assist, DOM steering/COLOR]
YJ. 91 body, body off resto, crate chevy 350, 700r tranny, 2 inch springs, SOA, ford 9 rear, dana 44 front, both detroits, cage, 4:88s, and 36X14.50s. strictly street queen
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
iwishihad1

and this forums, tech section is about the most helpful newbie friendly forum around....so youve found it
[CENTER]1995 fire red XJ, new 4.0, ARB safari snorkel, sye, front DS, aussie locked 8.8 5:13s 38 SXs, trussed/locked 44 front, hydro assist, DOM steering/COLOR]
YJ. 91 body, body off resto, crate chevy 350, 700r tranny, 2 inch springs, SOA, ford 9 rear, dana 44 front, both detroits, cage, 4:88s, and 36X14.50s. strictly street queen
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't do stages, they only waste money, if you want 35's build it for 35's, save yourself the money and do it the way you want.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm at stage 1,957, version 9.2

Oh wait, maybe that was steps...

Hell, I'll be at ground zero when my head implodes from the frustration!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishihad1 View Post
no such thing as stages in the jeep world. thats purely a ricer term.....and a very annoying one at that.

me hearing "yea, i just put a stage 3 intake, and exhaust kit on my honda" honestly makes me want to slap a baby.

theres far to many different ways to build a jeep for there to be categorical stages. some people who want to low COG might run stock suspension, with dana 60s and 38s. its been done many times before, but to say their jeep isn't stage " " because it isn't lifted isn't right.
Understood. maybe i should have worded it differently. How does 1st Round of mod's sound?
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm at stage 0.15392.

I have great dreams of reaching stage 0.5.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Don't do stages, they only waste money, if you want 35's build it for 35's, save yourself the money and do it the way you want.
Well, I want 35's but don't normally rob banks, so, I have to do it in "stages".
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
element54
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you are unfamiliar with what you want your jeep to do then i would suggest you do a search for "Build Threads" and read through a few of those. They will give you ideas and impressions of what "stage" you will need your jeep to be for what you want to do with it. It took me 3 years to finally come to the conclusion of what i wanted my jeep to be capable of. After that much time i had a really good idea of what kind of lift, tires and upgrades i would need for my jeep to be what I wanted it to be not what Quadratech or your neighbor expects a jeep to be.

For my jeep specs you can check my stats over there under my avatar.
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neec0 View Post
Well, I want 35's but don't normally rob banks, so, I have to do it in "stages".
I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the people here on JF that built for 35s have never robbed a bank, I know I haven't!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If we are goin by that chart..i'll be at stage 1..but with 32s instead of 31s and without gay tube bumpers and i dont have coil pucks..i have springs. I plan on being at stage one for a while

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by element54 View Post
If you are unfamiliar with what you want your jeep to do then i would suggest you do a search for "Build Threads" and read through a few of those. They will give you ideas and impressions of what "stage" you will need your jeep to be for what you want to do with it. It took me 3 years to finally come to the conclusion of what i wanted my jeep to be capable of. After that much time i had a really good idea of what kind of lift, tires and upgrades i would need for my jeep to be what I wanted it to be not what Quadratech or your neighbor expects a jeep to be.

For my jeep specs you can check my stats over there under my avatar.
I have been wasting my companies money by reading build threads during my free time at work (Idaho's, Gunkel, LSU's, Spyder, Bennets). I have a great idea of what it is that I want to do, just don't know where to start. I guess i could have worded it all better. I don't have the resources to drop 5k at once, so I wanted to do it in "stages" (there's that darn word again no one likes). I guess i will just start with new plugs/wires. Already have BFG AT 31X10.5 (going to 33's then 35 KMG's/MTR) so I could probably do a small BB (spacer) lift and get away with the stock shocks for now. Damnit! Just don't know where to start. I am sure the "uneducated crew" jumps in with a lift and new tires than spends more time fixing the broken tie rods, mounts and all the other things that need "beefed up", than actually enjoying it.

Oh and this is my DD. And i want a low center of gravity. Don't want to be flopin her right away. I live in Nebraska and we don't have too many rocky trails mostly just the easy stuff. But do want to be able to mob MOAB and Tuttle and others...
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dream up your ultimate rig. In the meantime go wheel her stock. Find a Jeep club that drives with some finesse so you're not trashing your Jeep and learn what you really need vs what you want. Going to 35s is a lot more expensive than 33s and maybe you don't need 35s.

I wheeled my Jeep basically stock for 4 years and now am confident I built the right setup for my wheeling. Any bigger and I'd get myself in trouble quick.

I started with armor to protect what I've got. Steering box, diff guards, bumpers, Engine, etc. Then I got the winch when I started tackling tougher terrain and found myself in need of serious recovery. That led to 2.75" spring spacers up front and 0.75" out back to level her out.

I saved up and paid cash for my RE lift, tires, wheels, all at once and don't feel like I waisted money on stage builds.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
jeepn012
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, definitely do NOT copy what they are doing there. Unless I missed it, their "Stage 3" build has 36" Radial Iroks on a front Dana 30 with just a new ring and pinion and an ARB....no mention of upgraded shafts.

You'd be spitting out u-joints at every turn. Well, not really, but they won't last too long.

I'm sweating 36's with my 44 front and longfield CV's.....

You'll be fine with 32's -33's on your stock axles, gearing is questionable, but in my opinion(and we all have em) not worth the time unless you're going up to a 35" tire...

Good luck to you and your wallet....
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/happy-wife-happy-life-05-lj-rubi-budget-build-1481914/[/url]
jeepn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Stages are for ricers. A Jeep's build never ends.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.