what skid plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what skid plates

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what skid plates

my build sheet says I have stock gas and xfer case skids, what should I get next?

truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Engine skid plate and steering box skid plate.

Skid Row has a 3/16" thick skid plate, with versions that mount to your control arm and protect the exhaust, or a long arm version that can sit a little higher but does not protect your exhaust.

Jeep Medic has a 1/4" thick plate that is like the Skid Row long arm kit (you can run both with your stock short arm setup).

The Medic is stronger, but heavier. I've not seen a Skid Row fail to protect an engine, but I have seen one that got dented. I would imagine that there are rocks in this world that curse the name of Jeep Medic.

I run the Skid Row, I've only dragged it once, it held up great. Avoid the Warn engine skid, it's 1/8" thick and bends when you come within 2" of a pebble.

For the steering box, about 2 dozen manufacturers make skids and all run about $50. Just get 3/16" steel or thicker. Skid Row, Kilby, Warn, many others.

Eventually, you'll want to replace your gas tank sid and your t-case skid. Both can be replaced with tougher models that provide higher clearance, but both may require additional mods to make them work (a body lift for both, a driveshaft and/or SYE for the t-case skid).
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Rusty the Scoob

The jeep Medic skid is actually a lot lighter than the short-arm version of the Skid Row skid due to being so much narrower. I have held them both and although I never put either one on a scale, the difference was very noticeable.

Apart from that I agree with everything you said. Protect your oil pan, steering box (mostly because it's cheap and easy), and rockers if you care about looks or plan to wheel it on medium to hard trails. Your stock tranny and gas tank skids will take a lot of abuse without major damage.
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.