What size of spare do I need to use? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What size of spare do I need to use?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

If you do not have a LSD or locker you can use a smaller diameter tire as a spare. Most compact spares are in fact narrower and less tall than the other tires (if they were the same size they wouldn't be compact spares). Just follow the same guidance given for them and you will be fine: try to limit to no more than 50 miles and don't exceed 45 mph.

Not optimal by any means but it will work.

Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
riscal33
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I certainly understand that tires are not cheap but its nice to have the peace of mind when going off road that if you get a flat you can swap it out and not lose 4wd.... and face it... its a jeep the chances of getting a flat are a little higher... and chances of getting a flat in a 4wd situation probably even higher than that. As far as the tire carrier it can be temporarily made to handle a 33 till you get the funds back up
riscal33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Since I never wheel alone there is always a full size spare available. In our tyipcal group 2 guys have winches, 1 guy has an on board welder, 2 with on board air, 3 with recovery straps and 4 guys with a 33" inch spare. If I needed it I could borrow their spare to get off the trail and then put my "compact spare" 30" to get home.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Running a smaller tire on one side will have your axle shafts spinning at different speeds. Thus your spider gears are going to be working over time till they go BOOM!
I don't think this is true. Spider gears can spin full speed all day long for 100,000 miles with no harm. That is how a front axle disconnect on all YJs, lots of XJs, and thousands of other 4wd vehicles work when they are running in 2wd. The driver's side axle shaft and side gear spins forwards and the side gear and stub axle shaft on the passenger side are spinning backwards full speed all the time. The spiders are therefore spinning full speed. This is what keeps the front drive shaft and ring and pinion from spinning, which is the whole purpose of the disconnect.

Bottom line is you won't hurt an open diff in the least by running different size tires. It would of course increase the wear on the clutch plates in a limited slip, but probably not much more than driving a comparable distance on a windy, twisty road. Probably shouldn't use 4wd unless absolutely necessary, and in the case if 4wd is absolutely necessary, you would probably have enough tire slippage to compensate. I have no idea about different size tires with an auto-locker. Seems like that might not be a good idea.
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

This thread is getting added to my Boot Camp thread

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
beachbuggy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i think the rule of thumb is 2 inch difference in diameter smaller or larger. that assumes you have open diffs. can't remember where i saw that so i can't back it up but i've had good success with it. i even used a 28 inch spare once from another jeep when i had 31's on and even though that is 3 inches different, it got me out of the woods and home without a problem.
beachbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #22
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Definitely do not have it in four wheel drive otherwise the smaller tire will spin faster than the vehicle is moving essentially creating a very long burn out.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #23
Rynoman27
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling up an old thread, but o well. Ive got a 285/75/16 as my winter tires. Would that be ok to use as a spare for 33x12.5x15?
And would it fit on my spare tire carrier?
Rynoman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #24
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got a flat with 32"s and used the stock 30" to get home. 100 mile drive no problem. Now I've got 33"s and a 32" for a spare. So keep it close! full size is best, but do what you gotta do!
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

285-75-16 = 32.8" diameter x 11.2 wide, although I don't think many tires measure to the advertised size.

Since the thread is alive again,
Say with a new tire and a very used tire in the same size/different brand.

What about an Aussie?

What about a Truetrac LSD?

Anyone?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.