What size of spare do I need to use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What size of spare do I need to use?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

What size of spare do I need to use?

Okay..I put a new set of 33X1250 BFGs ATs on my TJ this week. I took the stock spare off the tailgate since it looked a bit silly and I would probably have to disconnect the sway bar to get the spare to touch the ground should the need arise to use it.

So my question is, what is the smallest spare I can get away with? It would only be needed to get me home and last for a day or so until I could get my tire repaired/replaced. Could I get by with a 31 or 32? Smaller would be easier on my tailgate (until I can afford a new bumper and tire carrier) but I also want to be able to drive home on it.

In order to keep costs low I plan on getting a used tire, put it on a takeoff or something and cover it up with a tire cover.

2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited-Current Vehicle
325/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT XD Addicts
2.5 inch BB, 1.25 RC Body Lift, Dual Top
s
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You need to have the same height tire. Even on space saver tires the overall height is the same as the others.
Especially if you're offroad. You don't want to get stuck because of one smaller crappy tire.
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't drive it without a 33" spare.Mine fit on the stock carrier with no problems.3 years on my brother's jeep with no problems either.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
ballallday89
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use a 35 with my 35's
ballallday89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you have open diffs (no lockers or limited slip) and don't use 4wd, you can get away with a different size spare.
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

I guess that answers my question...

Thanks

2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited-Current Vehicle
325/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT XD Addicts
2.5 inch BB, 1.25 RC Body Lift, Dual Top
s
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Running a smaller tire on one side will have your axle shafts spinning at different speeds. Thus your spider gears are going to be working over time till they go BOOM! No point in stacking the cards against the D35 more than they are already.

I would consider it for a short drive home but a bad solution. NO way would I run different size tires with a limited slip or an auto locker.

I have been running without my rear seat and have my full size spare strapped down till I can build a rear bumper. Actually I just finished a bracket last night to move my 35" out and up on the stock mount. I plan to use that only for on road use so I can get my seat back in and make the move out of my apartment at the end of the school year easier.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkOutdoors View Post
Okay..I put a new set of 33X1250 BFGs ATs on my TJ this week.
So my question is, what is the smallest spare I can get away with?
you just answered your own question - you need a 33" tire. the smallest you can go with is 33x9.5. Most people run a full size spare, for you: 33x12.5.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed with Unlimited04. Your best bet would be running the same size for a spare. It can be a narrower tire but for me I just run the same size

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
BloodThirsty
Hoosier

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got my 32" spare cause I want to do a five tire rotation. I assume everybody else does the five tire rotation?
BloodThirsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah i agree with everyone. Find a used 33 inch tire + buy a bracket to have it fit on your tailgate. It shouldnt be more than 100 total for everything. Try craigslist or a local offroad club for a good price.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinRoss View Post
You need to have the same height tire. Even on space saver tires the overall height is the same as the others.
Not true. Most space saver spares are smaller than the OE wheels. Note even vhehicles with limited slip rears have space saver spares. There will be wear but the diff is not going to self destruct in a few miles. Now I cannot say what the maximum difference should be before it gets risky. 4x4 obviously is out.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
Not true. Most space saver spares are smaller than the OE wheels. Note even vhehicles with limited slip rears have space saver spares. There will be wear but the diff is not going to self destruct in a few miles. Now I cannot say what the maximum difference should be before it gets risky. 4x4 obviously is out.
You mean narrower and yes many vehicles with an LSD come with space saver tires. The 2006+ Honda Civic Si for example.
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
I got my 32" spare cause I want to do a five tire rotation. I assume everybody else does the five tire rotation?
I was doing a 6-tire rotation (bought an extra wheel), but one defectively siped tire was replaced by Discount Tire and now I'm back to 4 tire since I don't want to introduce one brand new tire halfway through the life of the others.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
Not me,4 tires cost enough.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.