What should I do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What should I do

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
1964cj6
1964 CJ6 

What should I do

Hey my friend just got back from Afsuckistan and has a 97 SE. He wants to take care of some power issues. So would you recommend Turbo charging the 2.5 or swapping a 4.0 into the Jeep. Any input would be great thanks.

1964cj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

get a 4.0, the turbo will eat it to death.
had a twin turbo Audi, and it ate it from the inside out.
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
StvDiego

4:88 gears, every thing else is a complete waste of money and time

Note the comments here: Just Got My Jeep Regeared
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It would be easier to sell it and then get a similar 6 cylinder one.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddybrit View Post
It would be easier to sell it and then get a similar 6 cylinder one.
I dont like this response. Sorry but it just isn't as easy as people try to make it sound when you say this. Maybe other areas of the country have a better selection of used TJ's? I would have a hard time finding one as nice as mine is, unless of course I went newer which would mean a higher price tag. And not everyone has the ability to just change vehicles due to financial standing.

OP I could be wrong but to my mind an off road rig would be better off with a supercharger over a turbo.

As far as engine swaps You have to change the motor mounts to swap in a 4.0, so with that in mind don't limit it to just 4.0 jeep engines. I mean its going to just as much work as almost ANY other engine you can think of including V8s. I would think any jeep engine the same year or newer would be the easiest due to being compatible with the stock gauges.

Some I would consider are Jeep 4.0 I6, or the 4.7 dodge/jeep V8, Could go with 5.2 or 5.9, or the hemi V8s. Others would include chevy 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8, 5.3 V8. (GM and jeep/dodge probably have the most support) but you could even go with ford engines if you like ford. I dont know ford engine sizes though because I am anti ford LOL.
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
1964cj6
1964 CJ6 

Good advise blazer but here in socal Jeeps are readily available so finding another one would not be hard. The only thing he needs power for is for the higway that would be the reason for the turbo, plus turbos are much easier on the engine than a supercharger. And I manage an auto shop where we have done 2.5 to 4.0 swaps before so that's not an issue either, I was only asking given that money was not an issue which of the options would you go for. I am an old Jeep enthusiasts so not really savy on the avenue he should go for. But to all keep it coming all input is welcome. Thanks
1964cj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 AND regear to 4.88's.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If money wasn't an issue buy a rubicon then throw another $40k at it. LMAO but seriously take mine as an example. My jeep is an 01 yep 10 years old. But is had 23k miles on it when I got it, and I bought it for under $10k. Its like new condition (well was, I have scratched it up a bit).

So lets just say I want to find a similar jeep under 30K miles and under $10k but with a 4.0 rather than the 2.5 I have. Now you get my point of view right?

I just don't like the overused response "Its easier and cheaper to sell your jeep and buy one with a 4.0" That's a false statement that people like to throw out there. Maybe it works in a perfect world where everyone can afford to pay cash outright for a jeep.

Besides I love my jeep! Is kinda like saying hey your son has ears that stick out too far, sell him and get you a new one with better ears.

Now granted a turbo would be great for the highway I would just be afraid of lag while doing the slow stuff. A super charger is always providing boost lower RPM lower boost but its still there and increases WITH the RPM not after the RPM.

Of course I have NEVER ran a supercharger of my own, I have only drove a few a few times but from my very limited experience I would rather supercharge a gasoline engine in a 4x4.

I have seen people say they don't need the extra power off road, just on the road. We are talking about $3000 to $4000 dollars here I want more power EVERYWHERE for that kind of scratch.

I vote do a COOL engine swap! Like a 280hp GM 4.8 out of a caprice cop car! Compared to my 120hp 2.5 that sounds like a whole lot of fun!
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
Is kinda like saying hey your son has ears that stick out too far, sell him and get you a new one with better ears.
I did.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #10
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If youve got gobs of cash drop in a massive V8. If not, regear. Thats it.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #11
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would go for the 4.0 swap with Trans. Get auto too. Better for offroading. But I was interested in a turbo and I found out it would be cheaper and better to do a 4.0 swap. If you do a V8 swap, then you have to worry about driveshafts, axles and a lot of other junk.
[COLOR="Indigo"]Purple Jeep Club member #13[/COLOR]
Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
If youve got gobs of cash drop in a massive V8. If not, regear. Thats it.
Pretty much sums it up.

Engine swap needs a tranny swap with it. Depending on the combination that may require a t-case swap. Since the drivetrain length changed a new driveshaft and probably an SYE. Since you've changed all that you might as well deal with that D35. You do have a garage to work in, all the tools and you can go without the Jeep for a few weeks right?

Don't forget you'll need better braking, probably a bigger radiator, the wiring, computer(s), shifters and linkage, some fab work...

Not to mention that the Jeep will not be drivable for the duration of the swap and if it is registered you may have local smog control issues to deal with.

Alternatively; Re-gear to 4:88's, toss on some new 33's if you don't already have them and even if the work is done at a shop you can drop it off in the morning and pick it up that afternoon. And have all that money you would have spent on a swap to buy other stuff that no Jeep(er) should be without; a lift, good winch, better cage, armor, bumpers, Jeep shirts................

But a Hemi swap would be sorta cool, I'd do it when I win the Lotto
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think Cali will let you register a V8 swapped wrangler will they?
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
I don't think Cali will let you register a V8 swapped wrangler will they?
Yes you can, has to be same year model or newer with all smog equipment for that year model. There's a sweet 5.7 Hemi JK 4-door on 40's with D60's right down the street from me...
Unread 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not a false statement at all.
A) What is a 97 four banger really worth, regardless of condition?
B) What is an equal condition/age 4.0 worth?
C) Now find a decent donor 4.0 motor, harness and compatiable ECU, exhaust and ignition system add in a shed load of time and headache not mention the DMV bureaucracy and then tell me that you cannot find a clean 97 4.0 for less.

Not that it can't be done and I admire people that do it but to me its simple economics.

Trade up or maybe regear would be the only options for me.

Good luck though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.