Whatís my next upgrade? - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
TheDALE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Whatís my next upgrade?

New to the forum and I want to spitball some ideas on whatís next.

Bought it a year ago.
Since then Iíve dumped an bunch of money onnn...
Smittybilt bumpers w swing arm
9,500lbs winch
K&N intake
Procomp shocks
Disconnects
And some rims and tires.

I canít go any taller because I wonít fit in the garage. Based on where I live it needs to be in there.

Iíll take any suggestions on how to stay low and climb high. I generally do a lot of overlanding. Log roads and rocky trails. Trying to steer clear the mud.

As far as Lockers. Should I get air? Electric? Do I NEED front and back? Iíve heard that air has a lot of problems. Vehicles always getting leaks. This will probably be my next purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The next thing I would do is find an OEM air box in a salvage yard and sell that K&N intake.

I don't know where you heard of issues wit air lockers, but ARB lockers are considered by most to be top of the line and highly dependable.
I have run them and know quite a lot of other people who have and know of very very little issues that have occurred with them.

You may want to consider upgrading to chromo axles at least in the front when you lock it, as turning and accelerating while offroad is the most common time for a front shaft to break at the u-joint ears.
Have you re-geared the differentials?

EDIT: Also, what axles do you have? D30/35 or D30/44?
Locking the read if it's a D35, even with 32-33" tires could be a bad idea. Have you considered a gear type limited slip in the rear and a selectable locker in the front? (that's if you have a D35)
Ross and TheDALE like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The 2 biggest issues with air lockers that I've heard of is 1) an improper install will cause it to fail. and 2) if they're mounted too low they can suck in water even on the street in winter when there's a bunch of slop on the road. Besides that, you probably hear of more air locker failures since there's more air lockers in use.

Personally I would be careful using a compressor for filling tires and immediately using it for lockers in below or near freezing temps. I wouldn't want condensation to make it's way into the lockers. I'm only just installing ARB lockers now so other people can probably comment on this with more experience.

I'd look into a engine skid and rockers. If you have lots of sticks where you wheel too I think a radiator skid would be worth looking into (unfortunately there's no good solutions for this right now. I just installed Rusty's and it's gotten worse in the last 5 years or so.). I personally like to protect things even if it's not exactly a performance mod.

2x on the stock airbox. Do some searches and you'll see why.
TheDALE likes this.

post #4 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 07:37 AM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Going off of Mailman's edit, unless you have a friend who is good at regearing/locking and is willing to do it for a 6pack, I suggest waiting and buying the final axles you want (a common choice is a junkyard HP30 front out of an XJ and a 44 rear swapped from another TJ.). The labor for regearing and locking is nearly all the same work so it makes sense to do both at once, and the labor is expensive enough imho that it's best to do it on the axles you want to keep.

post #5 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 07:43 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Which Procomp shocks do you have? There are some that I'd consider OK, but most I would consider well down the list and if I had them would want to upgrade them.

Who ever told you ARBs have a lot of problems is wrong. Proper install is important, but once you get beyond that nothing that occurs with enough frequency to worry about on a day to day basis.
post #6 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDALE View Post
I can’t go any taller because I won’t fit in the garage.
You must a tiny garage. Most garage door openings are 6' 8" -7'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?
post #7 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had ARBs for about a decade and a half. Over all those years the combined maintenance they have required has maybe totally maybe an hour or two. I had to replace the rear air line and take it to a shop to find a bad ground, my lame *** couldn't find it. Other than that they have worked flawlessly. Ox lockers are also popular. The MOST IMPORTANT thing about going with OX or ARB is the installation. Pick the person you trust and then choose what they prefer to install.

If you have a dana 35 in the rear up grade it before you do anything else. The I would regear. 4:10 probably. If you want to favor the off-roading vs on roading maybe 4:56s.

Then do a belly up and all the upgrades that can go along with that.

It just depends on how deep your pockets are.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #8 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Recovery equipment
Ham radio
Spare parts
OBA
post #9 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 AM
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It looks like you could also use a steering upgrade: http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm

post #10 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
TheDALE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You must a tiny garage. Most garage door openings are 6' 8" -7'.

I do. Not sure of the exact height. But I juuuust fit. So thatís it.

post #11 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
TheDALE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
The next thing I would do is find an OEM air box in a salvage yard and sell that K&N intake.

I don't know where you heard of issues wit air lockers, but ARB lockers are considered by most to be top of the line and highly dependable.
I have run them and know quite a lot of other people who have and know of very very little issues that have occurred with them.

You may want to consider upgrading to chromo axles at least in the front when you lock it, as turning and accelerating while offroad is the most common time for a front shaft to break at the u-joint ears.

Locking the read if it's a D35, even with 32-33" tires could be a bad idea. Have you considered a gear type limited slip in the rear and a selectable locker in the front? (that's if you have a D35)

Iím not sure which ones I have. I just jumped into the jeep world and trying to figure out and do installs myself. Iíll have to get back to you on that or make another separate post. Appreciate the info. Thatís what Iím lookin for!

post #12 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the rear diff cover.
If you have a metal threaded fill plug you have a D44.
If you have a rubber push in full plug you have a D35.
The D35 will survive running 32-33" tires with a limited slip and chromo shafts.
Or you can get a Super 35 kit with a looker, but then you're probably close to the cost of an axle swap.
I wouldn't go crazy on axle upgrades if you're never going over 33" tires.
TheDALE likes this.

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #13 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
TheDALE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post

Iím not sure which ones I have. I just jumped into the jeep world and trying to figure out and do installs myself. Iíll have to get back to you on that or make another separate post. Appreciate the info. Thatís what Iím lookin for!

post #14 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

keep the same setup.

Cut your fenders OR get Hi Line fenders. That will keep you low. Extend the front shock towers, so you can run a longer shock.

Then do as MJ said...Get recovery equipment if you don't have it. Surprised no one mentioned that other than MJ. Grab some rock sliders if you plan on playing on the rocks...if not its a waste of money.

Upgrading to a bolt in HP30 is a great idea , as they are at every wrecker for cheap. Then find a Ford 8.8 you can throw in the back , unless you have a D44 already.

If you are not doing moderate/challenging rock crawls then I would not spend a dime on a D35 if you have one. The d35 should be able to handle FSRs and Overlanding no problem.
TheDALE likes this.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #15 of 36 Old 09-26-2017, 01:41 PM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you're new to Jeeping, then first learn to how use what you have. Not only will you become a better offroader, but then you'll know what you need and what you don't need.
TheDALE likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.