What is the right way to remove a control arm bracket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is the right way to remove a control arm bracket?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What is the right way to remove a control arm bracket?

So the other day i hit a ditch going a little too fast and bent my driver front lower control arm bracket, i was goint to just bend it back but found some cracks in the metal where the bracket bent and i'm not going to risk anything so i bought a new bracket from Rubicon Express, i just don't know how to go about removing the old bracket, will heat from a torch warp the axle? How should i go about doing ths? Here's some pics

ca-bracket.jpg   ca-bracket-2.jpg   ca-bracket-3.jpg   ca-bracket-4.jpg   ca-bracket-5.jpg  

Unread 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pics are HUGE. sorry about that
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
StvDiego

I'd get a BFH, beat it back in place, weld it and weld on Currie mini-skids, otherwise;

Get a cutting wheel on your grinder, cut off as much as you can (mini/die grinders work well in close quarters), then grind the rest off leaving about 1/8". Switch to a flapper wheel, get a smooth, clean surface, weld on new bracket. Do not weld too long in one place and let the tube cool between welds

Then the add Currie mini-skids or fab your own and help prevent this in the future
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

plasma cutter
oxy-fuel torch
cut off wheel on a grinder

in that order of easy removal. finish up with a flap wheel to get the tube smooth in either case.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys

Tags
axle , control arm , control arm brackets , rubicon express

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.