What parts do I need to replace fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What parts do I need to replace fuel pump?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
zerocool333
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What parts do I need to replace fuel pump?

Had some starting problems in the mornings and found out my fuel pump was gonna have to be replaced. After searching through the forums I decided it would be best to go ahead and replace the whole fuel pump assembly.

I ordered the Bosch 67655 fuel pump assembly.

What other parts will I need?

thanks,
Brandon

zerocool333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
4x4freeks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing much, just the pump. Make sore you have all the tools though. Its pain in the a$$ to take off the gas tank cap so good luck with that ;-)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara; FourReal front bumper, Bushwacker TrailArmor, Rugged Ridge SYE & Driveshaft Angle Reduction Kit, MT CL Wheel 15x10 on 33" Hankook Dynapro MT, BD 3" Lift, POWERTRAX LR Lockers, Dana 44 Rear Dif, AEM AIS
Soon a BESRK Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier
4x4freeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just did mine today during lunch. Fortunatly I have acess to a lift which made it much easier.

Remove the gas cap. Remove the 4 screws that hold the gas filler to the body of the Jeep and the 4 screws that hold the same part to the gas filler neck. Reach into the hole and remove the 2 upper hose clamps, pull the neck out through the hole in the body.

Leave the 2 rubber hoses connected to the gas tank.

Unplug the electrical connector that goes to the gas tank. Unplug the fuel line by squeezing the 2 parts of the clips and slide the fuel line off. Remove the small rubber vacuum hose.

4 nuts on the rear of the tank and 3 on the front and you will have the tank in your lap.

The ring that holds the pump in is pretty big. I used a semi truck oil filter wrench to get mine off.

Pull the pump assembly out. Now you can remove the rest of the fuel line. Same squeeze clips as the other end.

Oil the rubber O-Ring and slide the new pump assembly into the tank.

Put it back together. I was suprized how easy it was.

I did mine on my lunch hr and still had time to eat.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
zerocool333
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
I just did mine today during lunch. Fortunatly I have acess to a lift which made it much easier.

Remove the gas cap. Remove the 4 screws that hold the gas filler to the body of the Jeep and the 4 screws that hold the same part to the gas filler neck. Reach into the hole and remove the 2 upper hose clamps, pull the neck out through the hole in the body.

Leave the 2 rubber hoses connected to the gas tank.

Unplug the electrical connector that goes to the gas tank. Unplug the fuel line by squeezing the 2 parts of the clips and slide the fuel line off. Remove the small rubber vacuum hose.

4 nuts on the rear of the tank and 3 on the front and you will have the tank in your lap.

The ring that holds the pump in is pretty big. I used a semi truck oil filter wrench to get mine off.

Pull the pump assembly out. Now you can remove the rest of the fuel line. Same squeeze clips as the other end.

Oil the rubber O-Ring and slide the new pump assembly into the tank.

Put it back together. I was suprized how easy it was.

I did mine on my lunch hr and still had time to eat.
Really?! I didnt think it was that easy. I thought it took a few hours of labor at least.
Unread 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Aalbury
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool333 View Post
Really?! I didnt think it was that easy. I thought it took a few hours of labor at least.
Took me about 20 min to drop my tank this weekend. A hammer and screwdriver was all I needed to remove the pump retaining ring. Pretty easy job ( though i did break my fuel pump trying to disconnect the fuel line, and am now buying a new one..not the reason I dropped the tank to begin with) I guess its obvious, but the less gas in the tank the easier it is to move around
KD8NKV
Aalbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
zerocool333
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats good to know. I was considering taking it to a shop to have it installed but if its as easy as you guys say then I'll just attempt it myself.

Thanks guys!
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Book time is 1.3 hrs. I was hurrying plus I ran mine almost out of gas on purpose so the tank would be lighter.

I had the Jeep on the lift and set a table under the tank. Just lifted the Jeep up to get to the tank and then lowered the Jeep back onto the tank to bolt it back up.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
DUGA BOY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used one of those irwin quick grip clamps to loosen the retaining ring on my fuel pump. The clamp adjusts quick and clamps hard so it is like a strap wrench. other than that two sets of hands help out when it comes to lowering and raising the tank.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's not a tough job if you have access to a lift and tranny or engine stand. But laying on your garage floor using a floor jack and doing it by yourself can prove to be a challenge. I did this last year and the biggest PIA was lifting the tank back up and getting the holes lined up with just using a floor jack and 2x4.

Also, mine is a 1997, so not only were the gas tanks straps rusted but so was the gas tank skid plate. The tank straps were so rusted they just snapped as I tried to loosen the nuts. Do yourself a favor and try to take a look at the skid plate before you start the job...if it's got holes in it like mine did there's a good chance you'll need new straps and a new skid plate.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
99dodge
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i was wondering if zerocool changed out his fuel pump? I need to do mine. all I have is a floor jack, flat concrete carport, and shade tree mechanic tools. what else will i need?
Unread 08-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dodge View Post
i was wondering if zerocool changed out his fuel pump? I need to do mine. all I have is a floor jack, flat concrete carport, and shade tree mechanic tools. what else will i need?
You should be good to go. I did mine in the driveway with a jack and common tools. Just take your time and watch your harness, hoses as you are lowering it.
pmcjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dodge View Post
A TJ, the replacement pump, and the tank as empty as you can get it.
Unread 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

remember which way the float sits in the tank so you get the new pump in the same way.
JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
99dodge
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks I will tackle it this weekend and let y'all know how it went
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I dropped mine a few days ago in my garage.

- Undo the 4 little torx screws that hold the filler neck to the body. Make sure to cut the zip ties that are holding the axle breather tube.
- I removed the wheel well cover on the right side, so you can get to the evap canister.
- The evap has two fuel clips, DON'T try to remove them, simply push the clip in and the line should pop out. There's a large one and a smaller one.
- On the other side, you have the electrical connection, with 3 other fuel lines with the same clip. Make sure you bleed the fuel pressure off.
With the fuel clips, just really make sure you DON'T pry them out, they will break. I learned that the hard way and had to replace 5 clips because of that.

- Once you got everything disconnected, loosen off the bolts on the skid plate.
I put a jack under mine and slowly lowered with that.
You should have it out in no time.
Hope this helps.
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.