What other axles will work for a TJ besides 44, 8.8, and 60? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What other axles will work for a TJ besides 44, 8.8, and 60?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What other axles will work for a TJ besides 44, 8.8, and 60?

I have cash in hand and having a hard time finding a decent Dana 44 around Atlanta. I have 30/35 with 3.07s and 33s. Wanting to go to 35s or 37s. A buddy of mine is suggesting getting the straight axles off of a 98 dodge ram? Haven't heard of this. What other axles will work? We are willing to relocate spring perches and CA brackets. Just lookin for somethin we can get our hands on that has 4.56 or better gears. If you are reading this and know someone with an axle that will work, and are generally close to Atlanta, please message me. But what else will work? If we were to get D60s, what vehicle should we get them off of?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're already up for some bracket/linkage/perch fabrication then a LOT of things will work. Sure, the Dana 60 is a great option, but so is a Ford 9" or a 14-bolt. What are your thoughts for the front? You mentioned "D60s"...anything else being considered?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Axles

"The Dodge Ram featured a wide variety of axles. For the front axle of 4x4 Rams, a Dana 44 was used on all 1500 Rams and some, early, light duty 2500 Rams. However, most of the 2500 and all 3500 Rams used Dana 60 front axles. The 1500 Rams and some early light duty 2500 Rams used a 9.25 Chrysler axle in the rear. A Dana 60 rear axle was used on heavy duty 2500 V8 Rams. A Dana 70 rear axle was used in 2500 Rams with a V10 or a Diesel/Automatic transmission combination. A Dana 80 rear axle was used on 2500 Rams with a manual transmission and V10/diesel engine combination. Every 3500 Ram was made with a Dana 80. The front drive axles in these rams were unique in the fact they didn't feature Locking hubs, but featured a Center axle disconnect. The 2002 2500 and 3500 Rams saw the eventual phase out of the Center axle disconnect, in favor of front axles that were permanently locked in. Dodge continues to feature front axles like this for their 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500 trucks."
Copied from wikipedia
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Monster747
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn View Post
I have cash in hand and having a hard time finding a decent Dana 44 around Atlanta. I have 30/35 with 3.07s and 33s. Wanting to go to 35s or 37s. A buddy of mine is suggesting getting the straight axles off of a 98 dodge ram? Haven't heard of this. What other axles will work? We are willing to relocate spring perches and CA brackets. Just lookin for somethin we can get our hands on that has 4.56 or better gears. If you are reading this and know someone with an axle that will work, and are generally close to Atlanta, please message me. But what else will work? If we were to get D60s, what vehicle should we get them off of?

I have 30/35 with 4.88 and I am running 37 inch tires without issue. Beat up very hard and still going strong.
Monster747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you looking to run full width axles?
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster747

I have 30/35 with 4.88 and I am running 37 inch tires without issue. Beat up very hard and still going strong.
Do you have lockers?

1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
Are you looking to run full width axles?
I'm looking to run whatever will get these damn 3.07s out from under me. A direct bolt in 30/44 would be my first choice.

Unread 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you have lockers?

Please don't get him started. Search for some of his other posts in the past. Complete nonsense.
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm looking to run whatever will get these damn 3.07s out from under me. A direct bolt in 30/44 would be my first choice.

Direct bolt in rear is only going to be another TJ/LJ. Front would be TJ/LJ or XJ. If you want bolt in (or are only interested in bracket work) then full width axles probably over your head.
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Direct bolt in rear is only going to be another TJ/LJ. Front would be TJ/LJ or XJ. If you want bolt in (or are only interested in bracket work) then full width axles probably over your head.
+2. And if you want to get rid of 3.07 regear job would be the cheapest. As far as axles, anything can be put under a TJ, it just doesn't come cheap. People go as far as putting 2 (two) rear axles in a TJ/LJ for a 6x6, so anything is possible.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
jason m
Web Wheeler

Early Dodge ( pre 93 ) and Chevy 60's where the only two to offer a 4.56's geared axle from the factory. So really there the only two and there on the wrong side drop for you.
3 options are 1 to eather find a Ford front and re-gear it, 2 run a pass side drop case or 3 cut and re-weld a pass side to a driver side.

For the rear find a DRW Chvey 14 bolt with 4.56's very easyly. Swap on some SRW hubs and you have a axle that can without a dought handle 39 and then some.
Dana 70 rears can be found in 4.56's to but they share the same size 29 spline input as a dana 60, so really "if" it were to fail that would be where it would break.

The other option is look for a set of axle's from a CUCV, yes it will be a pass side drop so eather option 2 or 3 are needed but they come factory 4.56's gears, a detroit in the rear and bolth SRW axles.
Weld the front and run it and now you have a set of axles that will live a long happy life under your rig.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also if you are talking about D60 or 14B, what size tire will you be running? Those are pretty large diffs to be hauling over trails if your tires are not sized accordingly.
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also if you are talking about D60 or 14B, what size tire will you be running? Those are pretty large diffs to be hauling over trails if your tires are not sized accordingly.
Shouldn't be too bad with the 37's he was talking about, right? I still vote for the 9" in the rear, though.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
I agree but what they offer as to strength is what attracts most to them. No matter what axle you run you will allways find a rock that will hang your diff up onto.

I ran a 14 bolt rear for years, pulled it from a pile of axle's, was very lucky to find one with a detriot locker if not it would have been welded. Ran it hard for many years, the only mod I did to it was shave the lower lips off the bottom. Once I did that I had a 1/4" more ground clearance than my HP 60 front.
I would run them on 37+ tire's aything under that they will snag more. Plus if it hangs up back and punch it, smash that diff into that rock, it can take it.

If you only knew the power of the dark side.......................axles that is

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

Shouldn't be too bad with the 37's he was talking about, right? I still vote for the 9" in the rear, though.
Don't lose track of who OP is. Do you think 37s is serious? I don't, but I'm bored so i'll play along.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.