post #1 of Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what are oil pressure norms?

Have a 97with the 2.5. Was having a tick...sorta sounded like I had a diesel running...lol anyways, it was running good oil pressure fluctuating like it should as the RPM's increased. I decided to put some Lucas oil treatment in it to see if it helped with the knocking. Now I think my oil pressure is too high. It's running around 40psi at idle. Wasn't that high before I put the damn super molasses in it. Also knock/tick is still there. I did put the correct amount and did not over fill. So my question is what is the normal range for this engine and any other ideas ?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
post #2 of Old 12-29-2015, 09:21 PM
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After the engine is fully warmed up, you should be somewhere between 10 and 20 psi at idle, and as the engine revs go up to 40 - 50psi.
40 at idle on a cold engine is normal.
post #3 of Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I let it warm up...actually took it for a drive and its not going below 40. I know too much pressure is as bad as too low sometimes. My pressure, according to the gauge, was fine. Concerned that the Lucas is so thick its might hurt the engine. It has 150k on it. My oil levels are good its just not fluctuating like it was prior to the oil change with the Lucas additive.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
post #4 of Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 PM
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It could have clogged up the sender unit; I had one go bad on a 6cly and it always read 40psi too high. It was really nerve wracking until I had a chance to change it out and the readings went back to normal. You might try a mechanical gauge on it to see what the reading really is.
But if that stuff really increased oil pressure that much they would be selling truck loads of it!
post #5 of Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
lander2312
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They do sell truck loads of it...lol the Indianapolis Colts play at Lucas stadium for a reason. (Def not being a smartass) I am just trying g to find out what the factory specs are to see if I have a too high issue. I am running 40-60 depending on rpm's

George Orwell
post #6 of Old 12-30-2015, 02:25 AM
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Since putting a mechanical gauge in mine; I have 60PSI as soon as I start it up; and then after a while of running, it will be around 20PSI at idle. It takes a while for it to drop to 20PSI though, it doesnt just drop as soon as it hits operating temp...
post #7 of Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 AM
Jeepsr4me

Get a real gauge as others said... too much pressure is never a bad thing for the engine... Bad for the pump and the cam gear turning it... But.. meh..

Also how much of that snake oil stuff you put in there? If just a quart you are fine... That stuff dilutes in the oil and is not as thick once it does that. Like mixing water with honey...
post #8 of Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 AM
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Hi lander, I'm from the WJ side but let me give you my opinion;
1. Dump the Lucus
2.stop worrying about what oil pressure is at idle speed. Your highway readings are normal.
post #9 of Old 12-30-2015, 10:54 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't listen to the opinions you just got.
post #10 of Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM
union414
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
Don't listen to the opinions you just got.
What should the OP listen to?

TJ's are meant to wheel, not cruise the mall! Drive it like you stole it!
post #11 of Old 12-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Get a real gauge as others said...
Contrary to some misconceptions, early TJs like the OP's '97 have true and accurate oil pressure gauges. It wasn't until around 2001 that they were reprogrammed to only show a mid-scale reading if the real pressure is ok.

Getting Savvy...

When you have a choice, buy American.
post #12 of Old 12-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Jeepsr4me

Still dont mean the sensor is working right...
post #13 of Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM
wkndwarrior

1997 TJ Wrangler 

tuning in to see.

after an oil change, then months later rms replacement with 2nd oil change, the wife's has a pretty good knock now. i used a wood broom stick and seems like the sound is very noticeable when the stick was on 1st cylinder. funny i had just the tap sound and found cracked exhaust manifold and changed that then the "knock" appeared. when i took off oil pan there was no metal and very little sludge in the bottom everything looked good considering 200k+ miles. went back into jeep log po kept and saw he had used lucas several times.....thought about trying that to quiet the knock for now (have a engine swap planned for maybe this spring/summer).
post #14 of Old 12-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwarrior View Post
tuning in to see.

after an oil change, then months later rms replacement with 2nd oil change, the wife's has a pretty good knock now. i used a wood broom stick and seems like the sound is very noticeable when the stick was on 1st cylinder. funny i had just the tap sound and found cracked exhaust manifold and changed that then the "knock" appeared. when i took off oil pan there was no metal and very little sludge in the bottom everything looked good considering 200k+ miles. went back into jeep log po kept and saw he had used lucas several times.....thought about trying that to quiet the knock for now (have a engine swap planned for maybe this spring/summer).
Lucas Oil Stabilizer is not a product I'd ever add to an engine. It can allow the oil to capture more air/froth which was demonstrated years ago in an online test. Lucas of course suppresses that test through various strategies whenever archived copies of it show up anywhere.

Getting Savvy...

When you have a choice, buy American.
post #15 of Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Horacio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My FIL is retired after 30 years as an automotive research technician in "fuels and lubricants" He does not advocate the use of the above mentioned products.