What are the most common causes of P0300 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
danb303
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What are the most common causes of P0300

I drove my 06 LJ home from work (15 miles) yesterday. After about a 15 minute stop in town I re-started it and I could tell it wasn't hitting on all cylinders. I was less than a mile from home so I started home and the CEL started flashing. It flashed for less than a minute and then went off. The CEL stayed off after if quit flashing.

I had already bought the replacement OPDA so I went ahead and installed it. My old one had very little wear on the gear and a little play, though not much. I drove it around a few minutes after the swap and it was fine

I have 75k miles on the Jeep now. Any chance the ODPA will fix the issue?

The first thing I thought was heat soak. Although, I've driven it all summer with no issues and it was only 91 degrees here yesterday.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited Auto. 35" tires, 538 gears, Speedhealer, IRO 4"lift. Xenon flares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like heat soak issue to me. Mine does it randomly and there doesn't seem to be any logical reason as to if it will do it or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Deuxlatch

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb303 View Post
I drove my 06 LJ home from work (15 miles) yesterday. After about a 15 minute stop in town I re-started it and I could tell it wasn't hitting on all cylinders. I was less than a mile from home so I started home and the CEL started flashing. It flashed for less than a minute and then went off. The CEL stayed off after if quit flashing.

I had already bought the replacement OPDA so I went ahead and installed it. My old one had very little wear on the gear and a little play, though not much. I drove it around a few minutes after the swap and it was fine

The first thing I thought was heat soak. Although, I've driven it all summer with no issues and it was only 91 degrees here yesterday.
Did you buy an OEM or aftermarket OPDA? Also did you use the OEM sensor? The reason I ask is I replaced mine with the Crown OPDA at 72k mi and used a new OEM cam position sensor instead of the one that came on it. Had no problems for a month then the CEL came on and it started throwing random codes, shifting hard and extended cranking starts in the morning. Turns out the sensor was too close to the rotor so I added a small washer to the mounting bolt between the sensor mount and the OPDA case and this increased the gap between the sensor and rotor. Been running fine for a month now. Might be worth trying.

2005 LJ
2006 Wide Glide

"If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes"

post #4 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
danb303
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used the Crown OPDA and the factory sensor.

My issues were before the OPDA change.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited Auto. 35" tires, 538 gears, Speedhealer, IRO 4"lift. Xenon flares
post #5 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Heat soak typically represents as a rough stumbling idle that starts to clear up and improve as the air intake temperature drops. It will typically be normal or nearly back to normal before you get out of most parking lots after a hot start and rarely will there be a CEL.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
danb303
2006 LJ Wrangler 

When I started the jeep it was obvious that it wasn't running on all cylinders. I drove about 200 yards and the CEL started flashing. It ran like that until I got home (less than a mile). After changing clothes, BS-ing with my wife and opening my shop up, I started it up to pull in the shop and everything was fine.

post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Deuxlatch

Garage
Quote:
I used the Crown OPDA and the factory sensor.

My issues were before the OPDA change.
Well I like the crown unit on mine. I hope your issue is something small and cheap and not a bad PCM like many '05 & '06 models. Definitely keep an eye on it and if it starts throwing random codes after you have fixed one then start looking at the PCM.

2005 LJ
2006 Wide Glide

post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Deuxlatch

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Heat soak typically represents as a rough stumbling idle that starts to clear up and improve as the air intake temperature drops. It will typically be normal or nearly back to normal before you get out of most parking lots after a hot start and rarely will there be a CEL.
Could this be why mine starts idling rough in standing traffic on hot days?

2005 LJ
2006 Wide Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.