What makes rubicon desireable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What makes rubicon desireable?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Smelt_1

What makes rubicon desireable?

What is it that the Rubi seems like the truck to have? I guess it is the latest model with all the bells and whistles? Does it drive like a car?

Smelt_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Stronger Dana 44 axles, short shaft transfer case with 4:1 ratio, lockers in both axles. Pretty much it. That's about 5-6k worth of stuff that you'd have to do to a regular TJ for only a couple grand more over the Sport price with the same interior options.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
MCanavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJVigilante
Stronger Dana 44 axles, short shaft transfer case with 4:1 ratio, lockers in both axles. Pretty much it. That's about 5-6k worth of stuff that you'd have to do to a regular TJ for only a couple grand more over the Sport price with the same interior options.
Also the fact you don't need a SYE which will save you about $200-$250 if you lift it over 3".
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
got_4_lo

1. D44 axles
2. selectable lockers f/r
3. true 4:1 low gear
4. SYE
5. decals
6. maybe the best - the MOAB rims that come with it can fetch some good $$$$ on those MTR's when you swap in bigger tires / wheels.
7. 4-disk brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanavan
Also the fact you don't need a SYE which will save you about $200-$250 if you lift it over 3".

"short shaft kit"

I DID forget the rear disks though.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to have a Rubicon. But the price premium and the fact that they are geared too low for my daily driver requirements makes the standard TJ a better fit. Plus they are overkill for my needs (although I have to keep convincing myself I don't really need a Rubicon).
Unread 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
MCanavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov
I would love to have a Rubicon. But the price premium and the fact that they are geared too low for my daily driver requirements makes the standard TJ a better fit. Plus they are overkill for my needs (although I have to keep convincing myself I don't really need a Rubicon).
3.5" lift and 33s will make the gearing perfect for daily driving.
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
CJM

yall forgot they also come with 4.11s

[URL=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/CJM1/Jeep%20Pictures/43377.jpg]Pic of my Rubi.[/URL]
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
koheed
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to have a Rubicon, but I am attached to my TJ Sport. If I sold her, it would be like giving away my dog. (I love dogs, screw the guy who made the dog hating thread.)
4" SA Skyjacker/BDS Hybrid, 33" MT/R's
Jeeperman Front & Rear Swing-Away Bumpers
Skid Row Engine/Oil Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid
Flowmaster 40
Herculiner
NEXT PROJECT: SYE and CV Drive Shaft
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/27018750@N00/"]My Pics[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
koheed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
IOTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelt_1
What is it that the Rubi seems like the truck to have? I guess it is the latest model with all the bells and whistles? Does it drive like a car?

It most certainly will not drive like a car. Especially off-road.
IOTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I ever got a Rubicon, I'd keep my 99 Sport and really get sick with it.
BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

It has nothing to do with being the latest and greatest, it has to do with being the best. And no it WILL NOT DRIVE LIKE A CAR!!!<They should put that on the stickers on the visors.
Unread 04-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov
Hows it geared to loo for a daily driver? Its got the same tranny, yeah the tcase is diff but that only matters in 4lo. The only diff is the 4.10 gears in the diffs, which I think gives it better acceleration and power on the road. Of course I don't get this anymore with 35s, which is why I will be upgrading to 4.88s.

As far as price I got mine for 22,500 new. With the better tcase and lockers, I think the price is resonable. Yeah ARB lockers might be better, and same goes an atlas tcase, but this is my DD and I can't have the downtime.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
televisionary

Well, my Rubicon is my daily driver. From work to school, groceries, out of town visits with the parents, plus all of my off roading adventures--I'm in the Rubicon.

Before I bought the Rubicon, I had a Honda Accord and a 1983 CJ 7.

I miss the Honda when it comes to daily driving, or commuting routine. I especially miss the gas mileage it got!

And I miss the vintage vibe of the CJ.

But the two vehicle's insurance and unreliability (mostly on the CJ side), forced me to sell them, and to buy one newer, more reliable vehicle.

And of course, I had to have a Jeep, right?!

Basically, if you didn't mind stop and go traffic in a CJ, a Rubicon is a step up! It has AC!
televisionary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
Hows it geared to loo for a daily driver? Its got the same tranny, yeah the tcase is diff but that only matters in 4lo. The only diff is the 4.10 gears in the diffs, which I think gives it better acceleration and power on the road. Of course I don't get this anymore with 35s, which is why I will be upgrading to 4.88s.

As far as price I got mine for 22,500 new. With the better tcase and lockers, I think the price is resonable. Yeah ARB lockers might be better, and same goes an atlas tcase, but this is my DD and I can't have the downtime.
I test drove two Rubis before I got my ''99 Sahara., an '04 with a 5-speed and an '06 with a 6-speed. My initial impression was that the Rubis were geared low enough to hurt gas mileage significantly when used as a daily driver compared to a standard Wrangler. That may or may not be correct. I preferred the 5-speed, the 6-speed gears are so close that it feels too specialized for off-road for my purposes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.