What makes it a Rubicon? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What makes it a Rubicon?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #46
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeep2006 View Post
Lift companies don't provide different springs for different models of TJs. It doesn't matter to them whether it's a Rubicon, X, Sahara, or Sport model. The provide a coil spring with "X" amount of advertised lift. "X" is based on a stock vehicle. It does not take into account all the little upgrades we all do that add weight. More weight up top is going to make the springs compress more.

The coil springs you buy are a very important component of any lift. Manufactures vary greatly in quality and ride. Most will tell you OME, or AEV makes the best coil springs. The bottom line to me is you spent $299 on a kit that included shocks, transfer case spacers and shocks. That would have been my first clue I was not getting a failsafe kit that was going to do exactly what I wanted. Good PAIR of coils cost almost 2 hundred bucks alone. Good shocks run another hundred each. You got exactly what you paid for, CHEAP STUFF. Does it work, yes, but it's not going to be perfect.
The springs offered by lift companies have nothing to do with the subject I now find myself in.

As for what you wrote, I knew all this going in. Someone recommended the kit simply because it is a better deal (ie; ride on highway and off road) than just going with spacers. Which I also knew, and thought that too made sense. My goal was (and still is) to maintain a low COG while stuffing 33's or 35's under flat fenders. Aside from that, my Rubi is also beginning the aluminum diet plan (under the tub, on the tub and both front & rear bumpers).

Anyway, the point isn't what I bought -- The point here is what I was told by Rough Country.

Unread 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #47
BadJeep2006
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja4man View Post
I was told by both Rough Country and Jeep (DC) the springs in all TJ's (ie; 2003 - 2006) are the EXACT SAME SPRING. Check the part numbers for a 2004 Rubi and 2004 X. Their the same. Where the difference is is in the axles. The D44's front & rear on a Rubi sit 1/2" higher than axles on a Sport or X model.

For example, if you were to buy a 2.5" lift from Rough Country, on the Sport and X models, you will achieve 2.5" of lift, where as on the Rubi, you only get 2.0" lift due to the axles - not the springs.

Oh and as for the OP's question -- You can't appreciate the "specs", until you've wheeled a Rubi off road!
I went through and reread what you have had to say. Here is your first comment, which makes no sense at all. And BTW the last two pages of this thread have been a total thread hijack.

Anyway, as you explain it, the rubi axles sit 1/2 higher and that causes you to lose 1/2 of lift. How do you figure this? You would gain 1/2 inch using that ideology, but in actuality, you neither gain, nor lose lift due to the axle size. If the axle sits 1/2 higher, so do the coil buckets that the coils sit in. If the spring is "X" height, then your upper coil bucket will sit that distance from the bottom. You would still net 2 1/2 inches of lift. Your rig will sit 1/2 higher than a Sport, or X model.

I have owned two Rubicons and done extensive work with my axles and know how all this works. I am currently putting Dana 60 axles under my Jeep and we all know these are much bigger than D44s. Had I chose to keep my Rubicon Express 5.5 lift coils, my rig would sit 5.5 inches from the axle coil buckets. In order to keep my COG and ride height down, I had to use 4 inch springs to compensate for the larger mass of the D60.

When Rough Country told you the X and Rubicon coils where the same, they were talking about size. They are identical except the spring rate when they come from the factory. All the coils that RC sells with that kit are identical, as are most other lift manufactures. There are a few that will give you different spring rate choices, but most of the lower end stuff is all the same. Regardless, your axle size is not going to reduce the amount of lift the spring provides. It still sits in coil buckets and still fills the space between point "A" and "B".

Joe
BadJeep Build: D60 front W/ARB and 5.38 gears, Sterling 10.5 rear W/ARB and 5.38, 3 Link front, 4 link rear, 14" ORI Struts, Atlas II transfer case, A to Z Fab full cage, Genright fenders, A to Z Fab front bumper, and Warn M8000 winch. Thinking stroker in the future.
BadJeep2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #48
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, get over it.

Someone made a mistake. It happens.

Its not an important detail that is worth arguing over.

Why is is so important?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #49
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I agree.

And for the record especially to "experts" like Joe and whoever else.... For the last time, allow me to guide you thru this -- everything I posted here regarding D44 heights and springs was exactly what was told TO ME, by RC. I am by no means nor would I ever pretend to be a "expert" when it comes to Jeeps.

Joe to you and the other's who've questioned my comments... I'll give you, I could have done better posting (clear and concise) what I was told by RC (and Jeep). But cheer up Joe, after reading your expertise on the Rubi axles, if you were in the lift business, I'd buy from you before buying from idiots who would either lie or give false facts to customers in order to persuade me from returning their kit.

END OF STORY.

Tags
rubicon , identification

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.