What makes it a Rubicon? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What makes it a Rubicon?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't the springs different depending on the options on the X?

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the sake of completeness, I'll also bring up the fact the Rubicon has 1/2" spacers welded to the top of the front bump stop pads to decrease the wheel travel a bit to clear the 31's when they're stuffed.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige2533 View Post
Aren't the springs different depending on the options on the X?
Springs have different load ratings. Rubicons have the second highest(104,105) next to the LJ(106,105).

A rubicon will sit higher because it has stiffer springs and bigger tires, no lift.
Same principle as if you took new dual top LJ springs and put them on a 97 4cyl with a soft top and 150k miles. The 97 would sit higher.

Rubis also have a different rear driveshaft(flange type) and no ABS. The front driveshaft is also made of bigger u-joints and centering ball i believe.
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was told by both Rough Country and Jeep (DC) the springs in all TJ's (ie; 2003 - 2006) are the EXACT SAME SPRING. Check the part numbers for a 2004 Rubi and 2004 X. Their the same. Where the difference is is in the axles. The D44's front & rear on a Rubi sit 1/2" higher than axles on a Sport or X model.

For example, if you were to buy a 2.5" lift from Rough Country, on the Sport and X models, you will achieve 2.5" of lift, where as on the Rubi, you only get 2.0" lift due to the axles - not the springs.

Oh and as for the OP's question -- You can't appreciate the "specs", until you've wheeled a Rubi off road!
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja4man View Post
I was told by both Rough Country and Jeep (DC) the springs in all TJ's (ie; 2003 - 2006) are the EXACT SAME SPRING. Check the part numbers for a 2004 Rubi and 2004 X. Their the same. Where the difference is is in the axles. The D44's front & rear on a Rubi sit 1/2" higher than axles on a Sport or X model.
That's completely incorrect. The axle tube diameter and wall thickness are the exact same on D30, D35, and D44. The spring rates are indeed different.

The only reason a Rubi will yield less suspension lift than a comparable X or Sport is only due to the fact that the stiffer coils have sagged less over time than the softer springs.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So then RC and Jeep both lied to me?
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #22
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's completely incorrect. The axle tube diameter and wall thickness are the exact same on D30, D35, and D44.
Technically he's correct that the axles sit higher on the Rubicon. That's because they're attached to larger diameter wheels.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So then RC and Jeep both lied to me?
Yep.

Below is from the parts manuals listing all the different springs.

2006:
tj-springs-06.jpg

1998:
tj-spring-98.jpg
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting. I could see a vendor lying or at least being incorrect, but Jeep (DC) telling me the same thing? Interesting.
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #25
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interesting. I could see a vendor lying or at least being incorrect, but Jeep (DC) telling me the same thing? Interesting.
who at DC, some random call operator or an actual jeep engineer?
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

It is possible for both an X model and a Rubicon to have the same part # springs.

You won't find an unaltered 4 banger model with the same springs as a Rubi model, but the 6 cylinder TJs used all sorts of spring combinations.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #27
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
who at DC, some random call operator or an actual jeep engineer?
I inquired thru (email) Jeep technical owner support from the Jeep site. Someone got back to me a day later stating the springs in my '04 Rubi (4.0 / auto tranny) are the same as a equivalent equipped '04 Sport and X model. My build sheet doesn't list spring p/n or rating.
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #28
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

For example, if you were to buy a 2.5" lift from Rough Country, on the Sport and X models, you will achieve 2.5" of lift, where as on the Rubi, you only get 2.0" lift due to the axles - not the springs.

Oh and as for the OP's question -- You can't appreciate the "specs", until you've wheeled a Rubi off road!
the only way this would be considered truw is do to the fact the rubi comes with slightly larger tires which would slighlty lift the axles higher. technically other than going with HP axles the only way to lift them is by bigger tire size.
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

It is possible for both an X model and a Rubicon to have the same part # springs.

You won't find an unaltered 4 banger model with the same springs as a Rubi model, but the 6 cylinder TJs used all sorts of spring combinations.
This.

Hard top, AC, full doors and what they had available usually determines what springs were to go on what vehicles.

But since the actual sizes both in length and diam. are the same amongst all those part numbers it would not be crazy for the factory to use what was on hand...with the exception of the 4 cylinder type.
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #30
ja4man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Isn't RC a vendor here?

Fwiw, my Rubi has full doors, soft top only, AC and auto tranny -- yet neither Jeep nor RC knew this when I questioned the lift (@ RC) and what they told me thru my inquiry at Jeep.

Tags
rubicon , identification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.