what locker up front?? D30 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what locker up front?? D30

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know it's not a locker, but the Tru Trac is an aweful nice unit. Just play with the brakes in hard rock gardens and You'll be fine.

Unread 03-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #17
mississippi_xj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running an aussie locker in the front and it is really nice.

Shopping for a WJ to replace my DD Land Rover, Former TJ/YJ/XJ/WRX Builder...
Contribute to my YJ spring rate info thread!
mississippi_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
dcioffjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also recommend going with a hp3O, actually going to go Pick up the one I just brought in a bit. I also have my lp30 locked and I have had no issues so far but it was winter when I put it in so I did no wheeling.
My Jeep: 3in full traction lift, with front and rear upper and lower adjustable rock krawler control arms, front sway bar discos, and 33x12.5 Maxxis big horn tires, advanced adaptors sye with tom woods drive shaft. Hp 30 with 4.88 gears soon to come.
my build thread here: www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rocky-wrangler-1141329/
dcioffjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher242 View Post
I know it's not a locker, but the Tru Trac is an aweful nice unit. Just play with the brakes in hard rock gardens and You'll be fine.

If the tru-trac is based on Torsen technology it is beyond reproach in front wheel drive applications. I could only assume the same for a daily driven 4wd application. The tru-trac also improves braking in turns.

IIRC the Torsen is also used in the front diff on Humvee's.
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
hitman76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so if i found a hp d30 would i have to change the front driveline?
hitman76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
hitman76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete01 View Post
Is this your daily? If so, I'd avoid the detroit and go selectable (ARB). If not, the detroit is bullet proof and amazing. Why not a HP 30 swap? Its cheap, more clearance, and stronger. Food for thought. Also, are you doing chromo shafts?
Yes, its my daily. But i only drive about 6 miles round trip to work. I had an ARB in my Truck prior to my jeep. Loved it. Wish i took the compressor when i sold it though.
hitman76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #22
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
so your friend broke his so it must all be bad. im going on 4.5 years and i even ran "36 TSLs. D30 is perfecty fine with a locker and 35s since most of the strain goes to the rear axle. the locker actually helps releive some of the stress too since your not pouncing on the skinny pedel to climb the rock
This is exactly my thoughts except I feel 35's are the limit with a locker.

I have a D35 in the rear so I got an aussie locker up front for the dana 30 to help take some of the load off the rear and avoid bouncing etc. As a result I find more solid climbing ability and less tire spin which is the easiest way to snap an axle.

I run 33's with confidence. However I'll swap to a HP30 when I go with 35's so that I can be more confident in it holding up well. Though I think a locked D30 can survive on 35's as long as you're reasonable with throttle input.

I'd feel very confident with 35's up front and a tru-trac though I'd prefer 33's and an aussie locker over that setup any day.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
japete01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman76 View Post
Yes, its my daily. But i only drive about 6 miles round trip to work. I had an ARB in my Truck prior to my jeep. Loved it. Wish i took the compressor when i sold it though.
With 4" of lift you should be fine.
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #24
japete01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One thought.... add up how much you are putting into this axle and compare that to prices on some of the aftermarket stuff. I wish I would have spent the extra cash and bought something stronger.
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #25
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm running an ARB in a D30 on my LJ with 33's and yeah it's a pricey choice, but it's nice to turn it on and off when I need to. When I do use it, it gets abused and has held up really good for the past 4 years. I did get some chromo shafts for piece of mind but I have friends (and have read on here) that have been fine w/o the shafts.
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
japete01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You should take the shafts out of your LP D30 for spares if you go with the HP. Either way, I wouldn't leave on a wheeling trip without spares running 35s on a D30.
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
nautikus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've run an Aussie locker on my D30 for a year now with no problems. Also it's my DD and you wouldn't even know it's there.
Fantastic value for money!
nautikus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #28
TheSlowDown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetha View Post
I like the idea of an OX locker, less things to fail.
x 2 kinda' - the cable could still get screwed up - although this can be minimized with good installation - just like an ARB airline. I guess there are some other maintenance items on the ARB lockers though nonetheless as well as the need for OBA.

Just got some Superior Evolution axle shafts for the D30 up front & separately an Ox Locker to match the 30 spline axle shafts (as Superior doesn't offer packages with the Ox Locker anymore).

I don't know about the older style cables on Ox Lockers sold in the past but mine seems to be well built and easy to actuate - install is next week - with a wheeling trip scheduled right after the install.

Bought the Ox Locker because it doesn't require air (I have a Viair portable compressor w/o the OBA tank for the tires though), and comes with a new Diff cover to boot. I've read that the airlines are easier to replace if something goes wrong, but to each his own.

The only caution I would use regarding the Ox Locker is that any support would probably be extremely slow. I've been waiting weeks for a rear Ox Locker bought through Quadratec that's supposedly coming this week direct from the manufacturer.

I guess this is what happens when the company is sold 4x and ends up in the hands of an extremely small company.

Wouldn't put 35" tires on the D30 (f) or D35 (b) for "serious wheeling" but that's just my cautiousness.
TheSlowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
japete01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

x2 w/ LP D30/D35

Tags
35s , arb , aussie locker , d30 , detroit , locker , lunch box locker , selectable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.