what locker up front?? D30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what locker up front?? D30

Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
hitman76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what locker up front?? D30

What locker should i run up front in my D30. Has 4.56's with 33's right now. Plan on running 35's when its time to buy new tires. What od you guys think. I will be getting a D44 with ARB in the rear. Just not sure if i should do ARB up front or something different. Thanks in advance

hitman76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

selectable is nice for sure. i wouldnt mind having an aussie though
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

35's and a locked D30 is bad news. My freind destroyed his dana 30 on 35s without a locker...

if anything install the locker in the new dana 44, at least you will have less a chance of breaking it....

or save up and get a d44 for the front too
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post
35's and a locked D30 is bad news. My freind destroyed his dana 30 on 35s without a locker...

if anything install the locker in the new dana 44, at least you will have less a chance of breaking it....

so your friend broke his so it must all be bad. im going on 4.5 years and i even ran "36 TSLs. D30 is perfecty fine with a locker and 35s since most of the strain goes to the rear axle. the locker actually helps releive some of the stress too since your not pouncing on the skinny pedel to climb the rock
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
sethkins88
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post

Im going to have to disagree with you. The first time I went to Rausch Creek and wheeled I blew out my spider gears on 35s and I was being gentle on the thing.

I threw a lockright auto locker in after and wheel my jeep pretty hard (not abused) atleast atleast 10 times on 35s locked and its held up great.I believe the weak link on the D30 is the spider gears.

Lock it and wheel it
sethkins88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
hitman76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im not an a pro or anything but ive seen on here and many other forums that a lot of jeeps are locked with d30. I just want to know what one i should use and why you recommend your choice.
hitman76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i've been running an aussie locker on 33's
for two + years and love it. its one of the
best , and should be one of the 1st, mods
you can do.
elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
jpschacht
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It really depends on how much you want to spend. You can spend a little and get an aussie ora little more and get a detroit or a little more and get an ARB. They are all good it just depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of performance your looking for.
jpschacht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

aussie gets my vote....been good to me!
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go for an ARB.

I have a spartan locker and REALLY wish I held out for an ARB.
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
lancetkenyon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If I were to lock a D30 again, I would do a Detroit. It replaces the weak carrier that a lunchbox retains, is milder feeling (but still locks solid under any torque) than the Aussie/Spartan/Lockright when under power, and is invisible when in 2wd (not nearly as many pops/clunks/ratcheting). Cheaper than a selectable. Parts and service are available all over the country (unlike Aussies).
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the money, definitely go selectable. However that said, I'm happy with my Aussie locker in my D30. Can't go wrong with it for $250. I don't really foresee myself purchasing a selectable locker for the front anytime soon. I've got quite a few other things on the list before I even get to that.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
japete01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is this your daily? If so, I'd avoid the detroit and go selectable (ARB). If not, the detroit is bullet proof and amazing. Why not a HP 30 swap? Its cheap, more clearance, and stronger. Food for thought. Also, are you doing chromo shafts?
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman76 View Post
What locker should i run up front in my D30. Has 4.56's with 33's right now. Plan on running 35's when its time to buy new tires. What od you guys think. I will be getting a D44 with ARB in the rear. Just not sure if i should do ARB up front or something different. Thanks in advance
Upgrade the axle shafts and put an ARB in it. That's what I did 6 years ago with an HPd30. No problems yet...
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #15
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of an OX locker, less things to fail.
Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
35s , arb , aussie locker , d30 , detroit , locker , lunch box locker , selectable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.