what kind of plastic is the power steering pump reservoir made of - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what kind of plastic is the power steering pump reservoir made of

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
farinspace

what kind of plastic is the power steering pump reservoir made of

im looking to get some epoxy glue to reattach the low pressure hose elbow back to the reservoir as it snapped off (i dont know why i thought i could remove the hose off the spout, but i tried and the plastic snapped at the elbow of the reservoir)

ive go this 5min epoxy, works on ABS, acrylic, fiberglass, glass, pvc, steel, styrene, vinyl and wood. full strength in 4 hours rated up to 250 degrees F.

Tried it once with a different epoxy and the thing epoxy melted (what a mess that was, had to use kitty litter).

Need to know what type of plastice it is and if the above product as mentioned would work, is the temp rating ok?

Unread 10-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

that would work, heat range is more then hot enough as split loom only good up to 200 degrees, and i believe its abs or pvc
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinspace
im looking to get some epoxy glue to reattach the low pressure hose elbow back to the reservoir as it snapped off (i dont know why i thought i could remove the hose off the spout, but i tried and the plastic snapped at the elbow of the reservoir)

ive go this 5min epoxy, works on ABS, acrylic, fiberglass, glass, pvc, steel, styrene, vinyl and wood. full strength in 4 hours rated up to 250 degrees F.

Tried it once with a different epoxy and the thing epoxy melted (what a mess that was, had to use kitty litter).

Need to know what type of plastice it is and if the above product as mentioned would work, is the temp rating ok?
The reservoir is a glass filled resin and I wouldn't glue it back on. It will fail at the most inopportune time and you will suffer greatly. Go get a new reservoir. The old one unclips and slides off. Reverse and repeat to install the new one.
Unread 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Dcomf

I did a little work on the PS pump and read the stories of people breaking the fitting off. Just hit the hose and fitting with a little PB Blaster or such a minute before you plan to remove it and it slides right off, eliminates having to twist and fight hoses.
Dcomf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Futhy

Most likely it is a glass filled nylon. Using glue to fix it would work ok for a temporary fix (driving it to and from the parts store to pick up a replacement part) but I wouldn't trust it beyond that.
Futhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replace it!!

This is my advice speaking from experience. I have just been on a trip with a guy in our club who had glued the broken elbow back in. Needless to say it failed, luckily at the end of the trip, and we had to fix it overnight, with epoxy, and limp back to town.

He has now fixed it properly.
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.