What is the ideal tire size for a TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is the ideal tire size for a TJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What is the ideal tire size for a TJ?

What is the best all around tire size for a street legal Jeep TJ?

I know everyone's needs are different but what is your idea of perfect?

I think 33's are the good--not too big, offer decent ground clearance, work with stock brakes, stock engine, mild suspension lift etc.

What do you think and why?

240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My plan is go to 33's soon after the lift I'm doing in a few weeks. But I may wait to build some cash again.
33's with a mild lift just fit the wheel wells, My Jeep is also my DD. Any bigger and I'd have to buy a 2nd car, 33's I can still drive it on the road.
I know alot of people run 35's on DD's as well,I just wouldn't...
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just put on 33" BFG Mud Terrains on mine with a 4" Tomken lift and no body lift. I still have power to run on the highway. I have a 4.0L 6cyl running 3.73 gears. I have stock breaks and axles " For Now " Just accuired a Ford 8.8 for a later this year project. Doing mine aon a budget.

It will still wheel too.

Hope this helps

BV Jeep

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer 35s. My 33s have shrunk on me

33s is a good balance for everything and you won't necessarily have to upgrade steering and brakes like you would if you ran 35s. 33s can make a very capable DD, but 35s generally makes a more capable off road DD.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
plowe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

IMHO, 33's are the biggest I'd go. Price wise, they're way cheaper all the way around than 35's. Breakage, lifts and brakes, they all add up. With 33's, you can run stock if you don't beat hard on it, and in tough situations go easy on the skinny pedal. 35's require all those upgrades at a minimum. Plus your only talking 1" of ground clearence difference. I do like the look of a lifted Jeep on 35's, its just too tall for my comfort as a daily driver.
plowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
edmond
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think somewhere between 33's and 35's, but if you look at the overall picture, then 33's. You can keep you stock axles, maybe keep your gears the same, it is fairly easy for everyone to get in/out of, your milage is still bad...but not terrible, the lift isn't too expensive, etc etc

SOLD -2006 LJ, 38" BFG's on KMC Beadlocks, Sway-A-Way coilovers, FT LA, D60 ProRocks,ARB's,Rock Hard Cage, Prestige Billet Products Etc..
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
Mike
oooh you almost had it

to chime in on the above a 33" is a good choice for a DD if, you choose the right tire. I've had 3 jeeps, one with 35's and the others with 33's. I do miss the 35's though......
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ideal tire size is stock.My 35's have shrunk and even they look small to me now.Things don't magically start breaking when you go from 33's to 35's.Common sense goes a long way when driving.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

gonna have to go with 35's
Unread 05-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
smcurry83
2009 JK Wrangler 

I say 35's.......sorry in advance for the blabbering to come:

I love how everyone says that certain things MUST accompany a 35" tire. (brakes, axles, gears, etc.) I have a lift, and bone stock drivetrain with 35's and I've wheeled some pretty nasty stuff with no breakage. Now I will say, that gears would make it better, axles would give me some insurance against breakage, and brakes might make a small difference to me. But not having these things isn't going to kill you. I'm getting by just fine. I say don't fix it if it ain't broke. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and is all based on how I wheel and what I comfortable driving.

On the other hand, some people want to go balls to the wall when they wheel and will probably destroy a stock drivetrain with 35's. Depending on how you wheel, 35's are fine without a ton of other upgrades....
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #11
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
What is the best all around tire size for a street legal Jeep TJ?

I know everyone's needs are different but what is your idea of perfect?

I think 33's are the good--not too big, offer decent ground clearance, work with stock brakes, stock engine, mild suspension lift etc.

What do you think and why?
I think you answered your own question!

I agree on the 33's
MikeUnlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have 35s, but I'd agree with 33s being the ideal size for a DD.
Unread 05-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
hyzershot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have 33's on my DD, tkink it's a good on/off road combo.

and in response to 35's only giving an extra inch of ground clearance, you can easily gain that plus a little if you do a tummy tuck and keep the 33's.
hyzershot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcurry83 View Post
I say 35's.......sorry in advance for the blabbering to come:

I love how everyone says that certain things MUST accompany a 35" tire. (brakes, axles, gears, etc.) I have a lift, and bone stock drivetrain with 35's and I've wheeled some pretty nasty stuff with no breakage. Now I will say, that gears would make it better, axles would give me some insurance against breakage, and brakes might make a small difference to me. But not having these things isn't going to kill you. I'm getting by just fine. I say don't fix it if it ain't broke. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and is all based on how I wheel and what I comfortable driving.

On the other hand, some people want to go balls to the wall when they wheel and will probably destroy a stock drivetrain with 35's. Depending on how you wheel, 35's are fine without a ton of other upgrades....
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
odwaud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have 33's on my rig, but if I could I would stick bigger ones on. 35's would just have too much tire rub on the trail for me. The ideal tires size, in my opinion, is the biggest tire you can stick on your rig without too much rubbing...
odwaud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.