What I learned while 4-linking - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What I learned while 4-linking

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #46
Yams
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
I only wanted to quote the part ...But I don't know how.
After you click on quote, you can place your curser in the text and highlight the text you don't want, or the picture, and hit the delete key.

After going to their web site, I see where the mount is one piece, nice setup.

Yams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #47
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow, everything looks so nice...again Nice job man!
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #48
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up, have you been offroad yet? I ask because my attempt at my "double" Tri 4 link resulted in a harsh ride both on and off road.

Plan is to redo the link angles and separation soon with some added weight to the back she should ride well again.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
04ovrland
2004 WJ 

Unread 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #50
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ovrland View Post

The other problem when converting to 4 link and getting rid of the rear sway bar is that the 4 link IS so flexy,the jeep will lean until something stops it. I've never experienced a 4 link with no sway bar but i have heard it makes for a pretty hairy ride with some major body roll.
That behavior is based on the geometry of your 4 link and the height of your roll center. It is not a characteristic of all 4 links. However, I'd still recommend a sway bar no matter the suspension design.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #51
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread, don't know how I missed it. I'm looking at doing something very similar in the next year or so, it's always good to see the mistakes others make so that we don't.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #52
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ovrland View Post
The other problem when converting to 4 link and getting rid of the rear sway bar is that the 4 link IS so flexy,the jeep will lean until something stops it. I've never experienced a 4 link with no sway bar but i have heard it makes for a pretty hairy ride with some major body roll.
That's actually not accurate at all. The handling and cornering on the road has only improved since getting rid of the stock mounts. As for getting rid of the rear sway bar.....perhaps you meant the track bar. All smart people will keep a sway bar in the back.

FYI, I've been without a rear sway bar for the past couple weeks (ordering rear AR) and if it wasn't for how I've got the suspension setup back there, it wouldn't handle nearly as well as it does with ONLY a front AR. I'm strictly a supporter of sway bars, but you'd be hard pressed to notice the lack of a rear sway bar when on the road unless I told you. So, that pretty much defeats your statement of "the 4 link is so flexy, the jeep will lean until something stops it." The ability to articulate and the ability to prevent roll are not mutually exclusive.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #53
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Very nice work. you will love it when it's all done. I built mine over a year ago. and it handles great both on and off road. I tossed the rear track bar while building mine. and have never missed it at all.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #54
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's actually not accurate at all. The handling and cornering on the road has only improved since getting rid of the stock mounts. As for getting rid of the rear sway bar.....perhaps you meant the track bar. All smart people will keep a sway bar in the back.

FYI, I've been without a rear sway bar for the past couple weeks (ordering rear AR) and if it wasn't for how I've got the suspension setup back there, it wouldn't handle nearly as well as it does with ONLY a front AR. I'm strictly a supporter of sway bars, but you'd be hard pressed to notice the lack of a rear sway bar when on the road unless I told you. So, that pretty much defeats your statement of "the 4 link is so flexy, the jeep will lean until something stops it." The ability to articulate and the ability to prevent roll are not mutually exclusive.
What he said. And since I modeled mine almost exactly after Imped's build except for the longer arms, I would guess mine handles similarly as well. It handles better now on road cornering than it did before. Not that it is all that important to me, but I like that it turned out that way.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
04ovrland
2004 WJ 

sorry, i will erase what i said, i guess i had a misunderstanding.

Sorry about that.
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #56
2000GrayTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great work, definitely going to reference this when it comes to do mine...

not sure if you have a picture of this up or not, but did you butt your brackets up pretty much right to the t-case skid and then go from there?

EDIT: nvm found a pic, did you keep them slightly rearward to maintain a more "mid-arm" setup? Or were that just where they ended up after crunching the #'s?
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #57
yellow_snocone
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great build, lots of great do's and dont's here. I'm going to re-read over this before I officially get started with my 4 link.

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #58
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
Great work, definitely going to reference this when it comes to do mine...

not sure if you have a picture of this up or not, but did you butt your brackets up pretty much right to the t-case skid and then go from there?

EDIT: nvm found a pic, did you keep them slightly rearward to maintain a more "mid-arm" setup? Or were that just where they ended up after crunching the #'s?
Cool, my thread got resurrected. In answer to the a I've post even though it was months and months ago, I did not want a long arm setup as I did not want all that hanging down. I wanted to keep the arms as short as possible but they needed to be longer than stock due to my design. (And Imped's suggestion) I have had it for over a year now, have completed my front, and swapped in a different engine. I still am very happy with the rear and would not change a thing.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 link

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.