What I learned while 4-linking - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Yams
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
I only wanted to quote the part ...But I don't know how.
After you click on quote, you can place your curser in the text and highlight the text you don't want, or the picture, and hit the delete key.

After going to their web site, I see where the mount is one piece, nice setup.

Yams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 58 Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM
TJRHD
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern
Posts: 3,623
wow, everything looks so nice...again Nice job man!

NOT A HATER
TJRHD is offline  
post #48 of 58 Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,868
Great write up, have you been offroad yet? I ask because my attempt at my "double" Tri 4 link resulted in a harsh ride both on and off road.

Plan is to redo the link angles and separation soon with some added weight to the back she should ride well again.
Hendrix is offline  
post #49 of 58 Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
04ovrland
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Meredith
Posts: 246

2004 Overland WJ 4.7ho/545rfe/247/d44a
04ovrland is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
MO2500
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ovrland View Post

The other problem when converting to 4 link and getting rid of the rear sway bar is that the 4 link IS so flexy,the jeep will lean until something stops it. I've never experienced a 4 link with no sway bar but i have heard it makes for a pretty hairy ride with some major body roll.
That behavior is based on the geometry of your 4 link and the height of your roll center. It is not a characteristic of all 4 links. However, I'd still recommend a sway bar no matter the suspension design.

ODonnell Motorsports
Build Thread
Instagram: @omsmike
MO2500 is offline  
post #51 of 58 Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM
geiman
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 2,403
Great thread, don't know how I missed it. I'm looking at doing something very similar in the next year or so, it's always good to see the mistakes others make so that we don't.
geiman is offline  
post #52 of 58 Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Imped
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 20,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ovrland View Post
The other problem when converting to 4 link and getting rid of the rear sway bar is that the 4 link IS so flexy,the jeep will lean until something stops it. I've never experienced a 4 link with no sway bar but i have heard it makes for a pretty hairy ride with some major body roll.
That's actually not accurate at all. The handling and cornering on the road has only improved since getting rid of the stock mounts. As for getting rid of the rear sway bar.....perhaps you meant the track bar. All smart people will keep a sway bar in the back.

FYI, I've been without a rear sway bar for the past couple weeks (ordering rear AR) and if it wasn't for how I've got the suspension setup back there, it wouldn't handle nearly as well as it does with ONLY a front AR. I'm strictly a supporter of sway bars, but you'd be hard pressed to notice the lack of a rear sway bar when on the road unless I told you. So, that pretty much defeats your statement of "the 4 link is so flexy, the jeep will lean until something stops it." The ability to articulate and the ability to prevent roll are not mutually exclusive.

OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline  
post #53 of 58 Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM
loaderopp
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 788
Very nice work. you will love it when it's all done. I built mine over a year ago. and it handles great both on and off road. I tossed the rear track bar while building mine. and have never missed it at all.

Built not bought!!!
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline  
post #54 of 58 Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
dmgiff
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's actually not accurate at all. The handling and cornering on the road has only improved since getting rid of the stock mounts. As for getting rid of the rear sway bar.....perhaps you meant the track bar. All smart people will keep a sway bar in the back.

FYI, I've been without a rear sway bar for the past couple weeks (ordering rear AR) and if it wasn't for how I've got the suspension setup back there, it wouldn't handle nearly as well as it does with ONLY a front AR. I'm strictly a supporter of sway bars, but you'd be hard pressed to notice the lack of a rear sway bar when on the road unless I told you. So, that pretty much defeats your statement of "the 4 link is so flexy, the jeep will lean until something stops it." The ability to articulate and the ability to prevent roll are not mutually exclusive.
What he said. And since I modeled mine almost exactly after Imped's build except for the longer arms, I would guess mine handles similarly as well. It handles better now on road cornering than it did before. Not that it is all that important to me, but I like that it turned out that way.
dmgiff is offline  
post #55 of 58 Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
04ovrland
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Meredith
Posts: 246
sorry, i will erase what i said, i guess i had a misunderstanding.

Sorry about that.

2004 Overland WJ 4.7ho/545rfe/247/d44a
04ovrland is offline  
post #56 of 58 Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
2000GrayTJ
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 668
Great work, definitely going to reference this when it comes to do mine...

not sure if you have a picture of this up or not, but did you butt your brackets up pretty much right to the t-case skid and then go from there?

EDIT: nvm found a pic, did you keep them slightly rearward to maintain a more "mid-arm" setup? Or were that just where they ended up after crunching the #'s?

good from far, far from good.
'99 TJ frame-off rebuild: http://jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-tj-frame-off-rolled-bold-1199954/
2000GrayTJ is offline  
post #57 of 58 Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM
yellow_snocone
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Holloman AFB
Posts: 1,465
Great build, lots of great do's and dont's here. I'm going to re-read over this before I officially get started with my 4 link.

Military Jeepers
S.W. New Mexico region

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline  
post #58 of 58 Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
dmgiff
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GrayTJ View Post
Great work, definitely going to reference this when it comes to do mine...

not sure if you have a picture of this up or not, but did you butt your brackets up pretty much right to the t-case skid and then go from there?

EDIT: nvm found a pic, did you keep them slightly rearward to maintain a more "mid-arm" setup? Or were that just where they ended up after crunching the #'s?
Cool, my thread got resurrected. In answer to the a I've post even though it was months and months ago, I did not want a long arm setup as I did not want all that hanging down. I wanted to keep the arms as short as possible but they needed to be longer than stock due to my design. (And Imped's suggestion) I have had it for over a year now, have completed my front, and swapped in a different engine. I still am very happy with the rear and would not change a thing.
dmgiff is offline  
Reply

Tags
4 link

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
I just learned something noone ever told me! YJsahara YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 07-06-2007 06:40 AM
Learned the hard way! soxlover TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 05-29-2007 09:44 PM
What I've Learned about a YJ DanaT YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 07-03-2004 04:43 PM
Lesson learned.... Level_1 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 11-19-2003 03:12 PM
One more lesson learned mattelderbaum TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 04-13-2003 03:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome