What I learned while 4-linking - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What I learned while 4-linking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple more. I need to redo the brake line on the passenger side. Not happy with it right now. I also need to take one of the rear tires off and get a shot at ride height so the control arm angle can be seen.

photo.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice work , good welds...etc. Got one question though.
Why grease fittings facing down?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just to clarify, you used the 10 degree LCA axle brackets?
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Just to clarify, you used the 10 degree LCA axle brackets?
Yup. Axle side lowers are 10 degree brackets.
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Very nice work , good welds...etc. Got one question though.
Why grease fittings facing down?
Mainly because I couldn't get my grease gun in there with them up, so figured I'd mock them up this way and still haven't gotten around to changing them.
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you had it out on the trails yet? Just wondering how the setup is performing for you.
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice work. Inspired me...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you had it out on the trails yet? Just wondering how the setup is performing for you.
Nope, not yet. Hoping for some time in the next couple weeks. Work is all I can think about the last few weeks. Very little room left for fun stuff.

It is my daily driver and it rides far better than it did before. Much more compliance from the rear. Especially with the new Fox shocks. Worlds better than anything I've had in the past. The only down side right now is the front and rear are horribly imbalanced. I'm getting ready to start on the front though. Already have the Currie/Savvy progressive springs to go in and a new Currie Track Bar. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the arms stock length or go a little longer.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Very nice work. Inspired me...
Good, I'm glad. That's kind of what it took me to get going on it also.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That looks so good. Factory even.

I still don't fully understand what a 4-link is but this has got me wanting to build one.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
The only down side right now is the front and rear are horribly imbalanced.
Can you elaborate or are you meaning that the front suspension is still the stock SA setup?
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #27
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

great work man. i've been wanting to do this for a long time now.....will get there some day.

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #28
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
That looks so good. Factory even.

I still don't fully understand what a 4-link is but this has got me wanting to build one.
Thanks a lot. I was trying to make it look like it was supposed to be there and not like someone cobbled it together in their barn.

A four link is just the term for how the axle is connected to the frame. There are four links all in a relatively straight line. There is actually a fifth link, the track bar, which locates the axle from side to side. There is some argument as to whether it is actually a 4-Link or 5-Link in stock form. I can't remember the general answer.

However, usually, nowadays when someone says "4-Link," he or she is usually describing the removal of the track bar from the system. This necessitates some way to locate the axle laterally. This is where the triangulation comes in. Take either the two upper arms or the two lower arms and triangulate them so they either meet over top or beneath the differential housing or on the other side. A little more to it, but that's it in a nutshell. Getting rid of the track bar results ina smoother ride and less binding. Generally speaking.
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #29
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can you elaborate or are you meaning that the front suspension is still the stock SA setup?
Well, it is stock as far as length, but I have Currie lowers, Rough Country springs, track bar and uppers. I also have ACOS spacers on springs due to my heavy Warn 8274. I plan to put my new Currie front springs and track bar on and then see where I'm at. I am going to take off the ACOS stuff and hopefully it will ride much better. I am going to shoot for 9-10" of travel in the front. As soon as I tear it apart and cycle it, I will decide on shocks. I am okay with modifying the mounts to get a longer travel shock in there.

I would like to lessen the front control arm angle either by moving the axle mounts up or by lengthening the arms or both. But I don't want my Jeep down for that long again, so might put it off for awhile.
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #30
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
Take either the two upper arms or the two lower arms and triangulate them so they either meet over top or beneath the differential housing or on the other side.
Triangulated lowers will converge at the frame end and will always be wide at the axle. Triangulated uppers will always converge at the axle. I've never seen it done another way, likely due to some funky numbers that would cause.....especially with converging lowers below the diff, where you'd also experience a huge loss of clearance.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.