What Have I Done? Skid Plate removal/Transmission Mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What Have I Done? Skid Plate removal/Transmission Mount

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
butterbutterjam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What Have I Done? Skid Plate removal/Transmission Mount

Please help. I have been reading the Jeep Owners Bible, felt I could handle changing my transmission filter/fluid. I have a 2000 TJ Jeep Wrangler Sahara. No mods, not an off roader, just wanted to get my hands dirty when my pan started leaking. Read up on the job a little bit and I started by dropping my skid plate. Didn't know what the transmission mount was, just noticed part of the rubber was on the skid plate and part was still on the transmission housing.

Changed the gasket without a problem and had no one around to help me put the skid plate back on, also no floor jack. Rested it on my stomach and got a corner bolt in to put the opposing bolt in and try and go from there. PROBLEM- could tell right away that the plate had no interest in going up without a fight. It was getting late, things seemed fine with the new gasket, all was well. Had to be at work in the morning, read a little bit deeper into the handbook, noticed it said to "Make sure skidplate reattached before going off-pavement." No problem, definitely not going off pavement. Ended up driving to and from work for 5 days (I am a Marine, suddenly things got very busy). Go to put the skidplate on finally, but do a little research. Now I learn I should have had the transmission jacked up and stabilized before I dropped the plate. Also, now I need to replace the transmission mount. Problem is, It is REALLY HARD TO GET THE SKID PLATE up under the transmission right now. Did I **** up something very badly? The transmission shifts better than before and there are no strange noises. I just have to figure out how to mount the new part and get the skid plate back in place. It doesn't appear that I messed up the transfer case or anything, but what I am asking is How do I know if I didn't just cause some serious sag or screw something up because I bit off a bit more than I had read up on?

Thanks in advance for you help.

butterbutterjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The skid is a bit finicky. You can't put one bolt in all the way and move on. You will need to start one or two on one side then go to the other side and start a couple of them and keep going till you can get them all lined up. make sure you get the transmission mounts lined up as well. It might help if you get another pair of hands in there with ya.
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbutterjam View Post
...had no one around to help me put the skid plate back on, also no floor jack. Rested it on my stomach and got a corner bolt in...

...I am a Marine...
I am impressed! Thanks for your service.
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

if you are in lejeune stop at the auto hobby shop that's down the street by the first gas station as your coming onto base. the guys at the shop are usually really helpful and knowledgeable about most autos. they have lifts and all the tools you will never need. i helped a guy restore a71 Monte Carlo there while i was stationed at HP301 on the traffic circle before the barracks were redone and the MP BN was disbanded and absorbed into a regiment in french creek.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

This may ease your mind some. I made the exact same mistake with my 03 TJ. I dropped the skid to install a cat back exhaust system. After snapping off one of the bolts into the cat, I decided to drive over to the muffler shop for some help. Being a noob to Jeep mechanics I made the trip without first bolting my skid back up. I got about 5 miles down the highway and noticed all kinds of weird creeks and squeaks coming from under the Jeep so I pulled over to take a look. My tranny had slumped down 2+ inches due to the lack of support. Oops! To make a long story short, I parked the Jeep, went back to my garage for the skid, jacked the tranny back up into position and all was fine. That was over a year ago. Now terminal damage was done. I did manage to screw up that rubber mount though.

I did it the right way the second time I had to drop it

1.Support the tranny
2.Remove the 4 center bolts
3.Remove the 6 outer bolts

I
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbutterjam View Post
noticed it said to "Make sure skidplate reattached before going off-pavement." No problem, definitely not going off pavement. Ended up driving to and from work for 5 days (I am a Marine, suddenly things got very busy). Go to put the skidplate on finally,
Not sure If I read this correctly but its prob not a great idea to be driving around with your tanny/Tcase dangling in the wind with no support... I know they have auto hobby shops on MOST bases, they did on K-bay and Foster in oki, I lived in there... They definitely have one on Lejeune as stated above. Go there and get help! Belly pans are too heavy for one guy with no jack... Thats a long time to drive around like that, but everything could be fine... Stubborn Jarheads! LOL! Great name BTW... - Semper
2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 37'' BPR/ 3-4 link/ 103" WB
NYCJC
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...build-2789314/
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
butterbutterjam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate the help.
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
butterbutterjam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulud44 View Post
Not sure If I read this correctly but its prob not a great idea to be driving around with your tanny/Tcase dangling in the wind with no support... I know they have auto hobby shops on MOST bases, they did on K-bay and Foster in oki, I lived in there... They definitely have one on Lejeune as stated above. Go there and get help! Belly pans are too heavy for one guy with no jack... Thats a long time to drive around like that, but everything could be fine... Stubborn Jarheads! LOL! Great name BTW... - Semper
Yeah. Feeling pretty stupid right now. Bought a new jack today. Getting down to business. Thank you. Best.
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
butterbutterjam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did manage to screw up that rubber mount though.

Thank you for replying and for the pictures. I am all set up now to do it right. One question before I get started. It looks like the slats you have supporting the transmission are right under the pan. I can see about providing support that way before you drop the plate. Now that I have to jack up the trans to reaatach the plate, do you think it will be okay. My 2000 TJ looks almost the same under carriage, and there is not many mount choices to life and still be able to put the skid plate back on...

Again, thank you for the help.
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you use a couple of 2x4s you can jack the trans up under the pan. Just don't stick the jack directly against the pan, it could dent it.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget you can always use the stock tire jack to support items such as the transmission if you need to. I've used mine numerous times when I needed my floorjack for something else.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
austonreeves
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman
If you use a couple of 2x4s you can jack the trans up under the pan. Just don't stick the jack directly against the pan, it could dent it.
If you have a jackstand, use that to hold up your tranny by putting it where your driveshaft goes into your transfer case, then you can use the jack to jack up the skid plate
austonreeves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help please , skid plates , transfer case , transmission mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.