JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   What Have I Done? Skid Plate removal/Transmission Mount (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/what-have-i-done-skid-plate-removal-transmission-mount-1244458/)

butterbutterjam 07-25-2011 07:29 PM

What Have I Done? Skid Plate removal/Transmission Mount

Please help. I have been reading the Jeep Owners Bible, felt I could handle changing my transmission filter/fluid. I have a 2000 TJ Jeep Wrangler Sahara. No mods, not an off roader, just wanted to get my hands dirty when my pan started leaking. Read up on the job a little bit and I started by dropping my skid plate. Didn't know what the transmission mount was, just noticed part of the rubber was on the skid plate and part was still on the transmission housing.

Changed the gasket without a problem and had no one around to help me put the skid plate back on, also no floor jack. Rested it on my stomach and got a corner bolt in to put the opposing bolt in and try and go from there. PROBLEM- could tell right away that the plate had no interest in going up without a fight. It was getting late, things seemed fine with the new gasket, all was well. Had to be at work in the morning, read a little bit deeper into the handbook, noticed it said to "Make sure skidplate reattached before going off-pavement." No problem, definitely not going off pavement. Ended up driving to and from work for 5 days (I am a Marine, suddenly things got very busy). Go to put the skidplate on finally, but do a little research. Now I learn I should have had the transmission jacked up and stabilized before I dropped the plate. Also, now I need to replace the transmission mount. Problem is, It is REALLY HARD TO GET THE SKID PLATE up under the transmission right now. Did I **** up something very badly? The transmission shifts better than before and there are no strange noises. I just have to figure out how to mount the new part and get the skid plate back in place. It doesn't appear that I messed up the transfer case or anything, but what I am asking is How do I know if I didn't just cause some serious sag or screw something up because I bit off a bit more than I had read up on?

Thanks in advance for you help.

j_niko 07-25-2011 07:39 PM

The skid is a bit finicky. You can't put one bolt in all the way and move on. You will need to start one or two on one side then go to the other side and start a couple of them and keep going till you can get them all lined up. make sure you get the transmission mounts lined up as well. It might help if you get another pair of hands in there with ya.

explorerlyon 07-25-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterbutterjam (Post 11915811)
...had no one around to help me put the skid plate back on, also no floor jack. Rested it on my stomach and got a corner bolt in...

...I am a Marine...

I am impressed! Thanks for your service. :2thumbsup:

mike_breaker_5 07-25-2011 08:25 PM

if you are in lejeune stop at the auto hobby shop that's down the street by the first gas station as your coming onto base. the guys at the shop are usually really helpful and knowledgeable about most autos. they have lifts and all the tools you will never need. i helped a guy restore a71 Monte Carlo there while i was stationed at HP301 on the traffic circle before the barracks were redone and the MP BN was disbanded and absorbed into a regiment in french creek.

T-Jay 07-25-2011 10:59 PM

This may ease your mind some. I made the exact same mistake with my 03 TJ. I dropped the skid to install a cat back exhaust system. After snapping off one of the bolts into the cat, I decided to drive over to the muffler shop for some help. Being a noob to Jeep mechanics I made the trip without first bolting my skid back up. I got about 5 miles down the highway and noticed all kinds of weird creeks and squeaks coming from under the Jeep so I pulled over to take a look. My tranny had slumped down 2+ inches due to the lack of support. Oops! To make a long story short, I parked the Jeep, went back to my garage for the skid, jacked the tranny back up into position and all was fine. That was over a year ago. Now terminal damage was done. I did manage to screw up that rubber mount though.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...0/DSC00435.JPG

I did it the right way the second time I had to drop it :rofl:

1.Support the tranny
2.Remove the 4 center bolts
3.Remove the 6 outer bolts
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...0/DSC00441.JPG

I

hulud44 07-26-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterbutterjam (Post 11915811)
noticed it said to "Make sure skidplate reattached before going off-pavement." No problem, definitely not going off pavement. Ended up driving to and from work for 5 days (I am a Marine, suddenly things got very busy). Go to put the skidplate on finally,

Not sure If I read this correctly but its prob not a great idea to be driving around with your tanny/Tcase dangling in the wind with no support... :nono: I know they have auto hobby shops on MOST bases, they did on K-bay and Foster in oki, I lived in there... They definitely have one on Lejeune as stated above. Go there and get help! Belly pans are too heavy for one guy with no jack... Thats a long time to drive around like that, but everything could be fine... Stubborn Jarheads! LOL! Great name BTW... - Semper

butterbutterjam 07-26-2011 07:22 PM

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate the help.

butterbutterjam 07-26-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hulud44 (Post 11917846)
Not sure If I read this correctly but its prob not a great idea to be driving around with your tanny/Tcase dangling in the wind with no support... :nono: I know they have auto hobby shops on MOST bases, they did on K-bay and Foster in oki, I lived in there... They definitely have one on Lejeune as stated above. Go there and get help! Belly pans are too heavy for one guy with no jack... Thats a long time to drive around like that, but everything could be fine... Stubborn Jarheads! LOL! Great name BTW... - Semper

Yeah. Feeling pretty stupid right now. Bought a new jack today. Getting down to business. Thank you. Best.

butterbutterjam 07-26-2011 07:31 PM

I did manage to screw up that rubber mount though.

Thank you for replying and for the pictures. I am all set up now to do it right. One question before I get started. It looks like the slats you have supporting the transmission are right under the pan. I can see about providing support that way before you drop the plate. Now that I have to jack up the trans to reaatach the plate, do you think it will be okay. My 2000 TJ looks almost the same under carriage, and there is not many mount choices to life and still be able to put the skid plate back on...

Again, thank you for the help.

NotURMailman 07-26-2011 07:42 PM

If you use a couple of 2x4s you can jack the trans up under the pan. Just don't stick the jack directly against the pan, it could dent it.

J-Mox 07-26-2011 09:03 PM

Don't forget you can always use the stock tire jack to support items such as the transmission if you need to. I've used mine numerous times when I needed my floorjack for something else.

austonreeves 07-26-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotURMailman
If you use a couple of 2x4s you can jack the trans up under the pan. Just don't stick the jack directly against the pan, it could dent it.

If you have a jackstand, use that to hold up your tranny by putting it where your driveshaft goes into your transfer case, then you can use the jack to jack up the skid plate

The time now is 12:07 AM.