What is a good Alarm System for a Wrangler ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is a good Alarm System for a Wrangler ?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 02-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
jtice
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What is a good Alarm System for a Wrangler ?

One of the first add-ons I want to do is a nice Alarm System.
I dont have much expereince with them, but I do know that some have optional radar sensors.
That would work well with the soft top, with the top down, or even off.

Does anyone know of a good alarm that works well with the Wrangler?

Thanks
~John

jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most alarms go off with a good wind with a soft top.I just put a warning sticker on my window and carry a gun.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The best alarm for a Wrangler is NO alarm, at least in my opinion. They just cause too many problems and how many really pay attention to a car alarm going off, let alone get involved and actually call the cops if it did go off. Plus any thief worth his salt knows how to easily defeat a car alarm, and be able to likely easily convince a curious onlooker that it's their Jeep and that they're just having an alarm problem.

And when one causes problems for the Jeep it's installed in, it can be a veritable nightmare to troubleshoot what the problem is... whether it's the Jeep that has the problem or if the problem is really being caused by the alarm... like if the Jeep won't start.

I'm no fan of alarms in a Jeep.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
jtice
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I do carry a gun, but that wont do the Jeep all that much good when I am not with the Jeep

I am hoping to find one that I can rely on teh radar (proximity) part more than the shock.

~John
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The best alarm for a Wrangler is NO alarm, at least in my opinion. They just cause too many problems and how many really pay attention to a car alarm going off, let alone get involved and actually call the cops if it did go off. Plus any thief worth his salt knows how to easily defeat a car alarm, and be able to likely easily convince a curious onlooker that it's their Jeep and that they're just having an alarm problem.

And when one causes problems for the Jeep it's installed in, it can be a veritable nightmare to troubleshoot what the problem is... whether it's the Jeep that has the problem or if the problem is really being caused by the alarm... like if the Jeep won't start.

I'm no fan of alarms in a Jeep.

Best alarm system i found is to leave all doors unlocked, take all valuables out, and take your fuel injector fuse out so that if they try to start it, it will NOT start
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
MtnHighTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got a dog! Let him hang out in there, probably love to be with you anyway
1 1/4 JKS BL Brown Dog 1" MML
RE monos Nasty's Disco's
15"x 8" soft 8's w/ 35"x12.5'' MT Baja MTZ
A to Z sliders. Nth degree oil pan skid
Rokmen gas skid steering skid Warn dif plate
Superwinch EPi 9000
Currie HD Tie rod
BESRK rear bumper w/swing out

Colorado Jeep Club Member #85[INDENT][/INDENT]
MtnHighTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
victory red
2012 JK Wrangler 

http://securbar.com/simularm.htm
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have to disagree with the alarm naysayers. I had an alarm put in my TJ (with soft top) the day after I bought it. The alarm has a motion sensor for when the top is down, and the sensativity is adjustable. Will an alarm stop a professional theif? No. Will it deter the young high school punks from taking my Jeep for a joyride? Absolutely. I still don't lock my doors, however. Would I get an alarm again? Definitely.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDolly
I have to disagree with the alarm naysayers. I had an alarm put in my TJ (with soft top) the day after I bought it. The alarm has a motion sensor for when the top is down, and the sensativity is adjustable. Will an alarm stop a professional theif? No. Will it deter the young high school punks from taking my Jeep for a joyride? Absolutely. I still don't lock my doors, however. Would I get an alarm again? Definitely.

True! And don't most alarms now have a 2 way pager? Anyway, most professional car thieves say they will move on to the next car if one has an alarm or a club... So, I'd take those chances any day.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
RON310
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I agree...

A motion sensor alarm also stops idiot kids from sitting on and in your jeep when they are hanging out at night.
RON310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone even pay attention to car alarms anymore? Every time I hear one, "Turn that damn thing off!" goes through my mind.

On a side note, do alarms come with an alternate power source? If not, all it would take on a Wrangler is to open the hood, cut one of the battery cables, and no more alarm.
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've thought about getting this
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...oup?Ntt=sentry
but there's other things I'd rather spend my money on so I haven't gotten around to it. the jeep isn't my dd and it's garaged so I don't wory too much about theft (unless my wife takes it out joy riding )
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON310
I agree...

A motion sensor alarm also stops idiot kids from sitting on and in your jeep when they are hanging out at night.
And bums from sleeping in your jeep and peeing on your steering wheel... maybe I am just paranoid.
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13
Does anyone even pay attention to car alarms anymore? Every time I hear one, "Turn that damn thing off!" goes through my mind.
I think you just answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13
On a side note, do alarms come with an alternate power source? If not, all it would take on a Wrangler is to open the hood, cut one of the battery cables, and no more alarm.
A hood lock will fix this. And you can get a secondary battery to feed the alarm.

Seriously though, I am still considering an alarm but I do agree with Jerry on the troubleshooting aspect. If the installer is not worth his salt then it can be trouble.

If I do get one it will have a proximity sensor.
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
90SaharaJeep

the best alarm...

90SaharaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.