What Gears w/ 35s and 6 Cyl. /4-Speed Auto - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What Gears w/ 35s and 6 Cyl. /4-Speed Auto

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Pog
1984 CJ7 

What Gears w/ 35s and 6 Cyl. /4-Speed Auto

Guys, I am about to make a big investment and would like some real world opinion on gear selection. I have already run all the gear ratio calculators and feel comfortable with their results but I am not ready to sink a couple of grand on sheer theoretics. Hince, I want your feedback. Here's the application:

- 2004 Sahara w/ 6 Cyl. and 4 Speed Auto
- D44 Rear w/ Trash-Loc / D30 Front
- Plan on 35" BFG MTs (Currently Running 32" BFG ATs)
- Mostly street with mud for offroad. No Rocks.

Should I be looking at 4.56s or 4.88s? My biggest concern on the driveline is the crappy OD and shift characteristics of the 42RLE, 4-Speed Auto.

Thanks

Pog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
cspoffroad

you'll probably want to go with the 4.56's since you have the automatic. If you went 4.88's, your highway driving might be a little unbearable. Hope this is correct info.

Skykacker 4inch, 33x12.50 BFG M/T's, kilby steering skid, optima red top, flowmaster 40 series, airaid intake and TBS, bestop bikini and halftop, lock-right in Dana 30

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/665152/4]http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/665152/4[/URL]

"Are you locked up?

Yup, both doors!!!!"
cspoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am planning on 4.56 with 33's and the 4 sp auto. I may go to 35's someday so I'm kinda interested in this too. With 33's and the stock 3.73's it's probably comparable to your situation. Liveable but leaves much to be desired.
jim
Unread 06-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend 4.88s.

I run 35s/4.56/3 spd auto and I wish I would have went with 4.88. And I don't even have an OD.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.