Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What gears do you recommend?

Tags
33 4.0 gears
2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Muddybrit 
#1 ·
I am running 33's on my 01 TJ 4.0 automatic. Right now it has the stock 3.07 gears and it's a real dog on hills etc. Anyone have a recommendation for gearing? I do a lot of highway driving so I don't want to go too high. I was thinking 4.10's would be best but I'm not sure.

#3 ·
I have the same setup and like my 4.10's they are good for highway driving also.

#8 ·
... should I or shouldn't I put in lockers.....
Assume, based on how you word the question, you have a LSD now? I would leave it be. LSD is good for mild off road and if your doing serious off road (rock crawling) you don't want to keep the D35 axle. It won't hold up!
Either way, for off roading, I would (I did) add chrome moly axles! Many here will tell you "don't put any money in a D35 rear axle" but it depends on how/where you drive.
RJ

#10 ·
You can use the link in my sig to figure out any combo you like. Gear Calculator :cheers2:

#17 ·
Does anyone have any experience on getting this done? I have the stock differentials - Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front. I have been told I need a new case if I go over 3.73. Is this correct? Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? I honestly have no idea how to do this, but I love doing the work for myself if I can. Any advice? At the very least if I can't do the work myself I want to get all the parts myself so I know exactly what is going in.

#23 ·
I have been told I need a new case if I go over 3.73. Is this correct? .....
Yes, if you go lower gears (higher #) than 3.73, you will need a new Carrier (about $60.00).

rwilson93 said:
.... I honestly have no idea how to do this, but I love doing the work for myself if I can. Any advice? .......
Read HERE
Great "How to" write up by first timer!
You can decide for yourself if you can handle it. Professionals will charge you for 4-5 hrs labor x their hrly rate.
IMO, doing it is not that hard for average weekend mechanic. Doing it right can be tricky... it's precision work.

RJ

#19 ·
Here is my take on the situation. Go to 3.73 max. I was running 3.07 gears up until a couple months ago with the 3 speed auto and 35 inch tires. I was happy as heck with my gas mileage. I was averaging about 16 MPG, and on a trip out on the highway I was pushing 19MPG. Everyone told me I needed to regear to get good gas mileage so the engine could run in a range where it was happy. The numbers of 4.56, and 4.88 were tossed around like it was law. I ended up going to 4.10 to get back to stock-like performance using gear calculators. Now I get 13.4 MPG on average and even worse on long trip on the highway. It performs much better off-road but my wife *****es at me constantly about how often I stop at the gas station to the point where I am now looking for a **** box work beater for gas milage.

#24 ·
I have a 2003 Jeep TJ with a 42LE auto and an I6 with a D44. It came with 3.73s and like 28" tires. I am now on 33 MTRs with 4.56s and a detroit in the rear. It's at factory power since 28 / 3.73 is close to 33 /4.56. I am getting 16 mpg but then i am heavy with armor and hard top too down from 18 when i got it un modified 7 years ago. 2100 rpm in overdrive at 60. 2450 at 70. 3000 at 60 in 3rd and, of course 3500 at 70 in third.
I think it is just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.