Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What gear are you running 4.0, auto 3 speed, 33's

26K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  dodgetk81 
#1 ·
I'm going to gear the jeep in fall and was wondering what some people had for gears with the same set-up as mine. I have a 2001 tj 4.0, 3 speed auto, 33 12.5 dana 30 and 35. It's a daily driver with light offroading (no mud).

#2 ·
I wouldn't go higher than 4.56's or it will rev high on the highway.Maybe just slap in some 4.10 geared axles from a junk yard.

#3 ·
Rumor is 4.56 is the preferred gearing for 33's and the 32RH.

Just because someone has to say it...

You can replace your rear d35 with an 8.8 for under a grand. Considering you're probably going to spend close to $500 to regear it... it's something to consider.

Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap

I felt the need to preach since I considered my starting light wheeling too, until I broke my D35 axleshaft and caused great headaches for those I was with that day.

Dave aka Ghan

#6 ·
Ghaniba is spot on. Go with a junk yard Ford 8.8 rear axle with 4.10 gears. I ran this set-up with 33s and it worked great. I would run about 2800 RPMs at about 60MPH with my 3spd auto. I just went to 35s with this set-up and I'm still happy with my acceleration.

#7 ·
I'm running 4.10's with that same trans/tire combo. It's great off road, and pretty decent on the highway. As stated about you'll run about 2800rpm at 60mph. Which puts you in a good place as far as the power band of the engine is concerned. Just expect to burn a little more fuel because of the higher rpms.

#13 ·
For the 3-speed automatic and 4.0L engine, 4.10 is appropriate for 33" tires and 4.56 is appropriate for 35" tires.

My TJ had 4.88 gearing and 35" tires when it had its OE 5-speed transmission. I converted it to the 3-speed automatic and its existing 4.88 gearing stayed. That ratio was too low for my 35" tires after installing the 3-speed automatic. I had to stay in the slow lanes because I had to slow down my highway speed to keep the engine rpms reasonable. 4.56 for my 35" tires would have been ideal but I wasn't going to pay again to regear it to 4.56. So 4.56 with 33" tires and the 3-speed automatic would be too low of an axle ratio, that combination would be just like my 4.88 with 35" tires.

Go with 4.10 for 33" tires and your 3-speed automatic, you won't be disappointed or have excessively high or low highway engine rpms.

#16 ·
My 98 auto ran with 33's and 3.73's for a long time and it was actually pretty good on the street, off-road - well not so much. When I upgraded my axle from a 35 to a 44 I debated for a long time what gears to use. I ended up choosing 4.10's and for me they are the perfect compromise. I can run all day on the freeway and the RPM's are OK. Off road the auto hides a lot of the problems of being geared too high.

I also considered keeping the 3.73's and dropping the gearing in the transfer case for off-road. I can't remember why I didn't do that, but it still seems like an idea.

#17 ·
When I had 33's on my jeep with 4.10 gears, the rpms were a little over 3000 rpms on the highway at 70mph. That sucked. In florida heat and working the motor that hard, the coolant temp was always a tad over 210 (more so than most jeeps). Also the floor boards got rediculously hot.

I'm riding on 35 inch tires now with 4.10 gears and couldnt' be happier. If your jeep is a daily driver w/ 33 inch tires and you see the highway a lot, do not get gearing >4.10 IMO.

#20 ·
what is the optimal cruising rpm for the 4.0 with a 32rh. I have the 3.07's with 31's and i hate it I'm debating on throwing down the cash on one of those bolt in 8.8's but I cant decide on 3.73's or 4.10's my jeep never see's speeds over 60mph and is a spare vehicle. I will eventually upgrade to 33's

#22 ·
I have the d44 and 3.73's (all from factory might i add) and 31's, its just about perfect for me, other than the long highway drives. I will do about 70mph at 3,000rpm which is a bit more than I and the Jeep like, especially since we are doing it in Georgia's low country where our heat index is 110.

I will be moving up to 32's pretty soon and hopefully it will be exactly where I want it. It will be the perfect set up for a DD/trail rider. IMO

#24 ·
I have 32s on my Sahara 5 speed which had a factory D44 with 3.73s that is currently being repaired. This is my DD and that combo was perfect. Was getting 16.5 mpg on my 76 mile commute. I'm running on a temporary D35 with 3.07s right now and it is downright horrible. From the top of 4th gear on, I can't get out of my own way, now get 12 mpg, and and loose speed on the slightest incline. One thing to consider with regearing is that your auto currently has 3.07s in it. To go to any of these gears, you'll not only need the $180 ring and pinion set and the $120 master install kit, but you'll also need a new carrier which is another $100. That's $400 in parts and anywhere from $250-$500 to set it up if you can't do it yourself. This is per axle! A D35 just isn't worth that much investment. If you found a resonably priced D35/D30 combo with 3.73 or 4.10, then fine, but I wouldn't try to convert one to that.

#25 ·
I have had 33s, 3spd and 3.73s in mine. It's not too bad but there are times when I wish i had a somewhat lower gear ratio like the 4.10s - esp when towing the jet-ski or loaded for camping...

I'd go with 4.10s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.