What extensions are needed for a 1" body lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What extensions are needed for a 1" body lift?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 12-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Wrangler_Boy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What extensions are needed for a 1" body lift?

hey guys, i have a 97 tj wrangler with a 2" suspension lift, when i put this in i had to drop my TC so it wouldnt rattle. now my body mounts are rusting through and i need to replace them. the issue is i cant find a replacement kit that comes with everything (i need the bolts)(if you know of a complete stock body mount kit that would be great) so im looking at a 1" BL kit. if i put one in with my SL what all would i need to have adjusted or lengthened so nothing is pulling in a bad way?

Wrangler_Boy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You shouldn't need to do a TC drop with just a 2" lift. When doing a BL you will need to relocate the TC shift linkage. I used the one from Novak like this one. http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/novak/novak-1.htm
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your body mounts are rusting through, then a body lift will not help. Can you post some pics of the rusted mounts? You might be in for a much bigger repair job to replace some of the body structure.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
robncar
We're BACK!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Crown Automotive #55176180K

Then source the bolts at a hardware store, grade 5 or 8, there are 11 of them.
|_____|
(O|||||||O)
|______|

[]====o=[]

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #430
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Wrangler_Boy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the body where the mounts go has rusted through but i will be welding new steel plates over this part of the body frame.
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Wrangler_Boy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if i can find the bolts at the hardware store then i need a standard bushing kit. ive found a daystar one ( http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...n=DAYKJ04008BK ) has anyone found or used anything better?
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
CommonSense
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why not put a BL on if your going there? Granted it can't hurt to THEN put a MML on her... ( minus the obvious extra cost... but itll help the driveline angle and you may not need your T case drop Also the T case shift linkage will be misaligned so a bracket or Novak may be involved... This is jus me but I would;
1) Pull a body mount bolt. ( preferably from most rusted/ bad one(s). if the captured nut spins, this will give you knowledge to weld in new nut(s)
2) Go to hardware store and buy 11 of those in gr. 8. (incl. nuts if needed.)
3) Jack up body and pull all bad body mounts, clean up area, and re-weld in good steel.
4) Install a BL and MML.
5) Remove T case drop and while down there install the bracket that came with said BL OR install NOVAK. (search for NOVAK install on here for detailed install guide)
6) Be Happy!
.....hope this helps
CommonSense is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.