what does Trail Rated mean - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > what does Trail Rated mean

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
yamaha450
2004 TJ Wrangler 

what does Trail Rated mean

just got my frist jeep and have lots of question. i'll start with a couple; what does trail rated mean? also my jeep has 31" tires and my speedometer is off, how much trouble is that to fix and how? thanks

yamaha450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Trail Rated is really just a marketing thing added several years ago, it doesn't mean a Jeep with a Trail Rated badge has any better offroad capability than an earlier version without the Trail Rated badge.

And yes, a larger tire size will throw your speedometer off. It is easily recalibrated with a new speedometer gear that snaps into the gear holder mounted onto the side of the transfer case. The following link will show you how to do the gear swap which only takes a few minutes with nothing more than a 1/2" wrench. You will need to know your axle ratio to know what speedometer gear tooth count to go with. You can find your axle ratio stamped onto a small metal tag bolted onto your axle's differential cover at its 9 o'clock position. It will say 3 07, 3 55, 3 73, or 4 10 or within .01 of those ratios.

Changing Your Jeep Speedometer Gear

When you get to that page, click on the chart to make it big enough to read. And a big welcome to JF.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
yamaha450
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks
yamaha450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Trail rated mean it has successfully run the "rubicon trail" without winch or help from another vehicle.

....At least it used to mean that.
AVNINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNINE View Post
Trail rated mean it has successfully run the "rubicon trail" without winch or help from another vehicle.

....At least it used to mean that.
??? says who?

Its a marketing thing, back in 2004 they basically took a list of specs that their vehicles already met and called it trail rated... vehicle has to be able to articulate so much and ford water of a certain depth and blah blah blah...

Jeep - 4x4 Basics - Trail-Rated Certification - 4WD SUVs
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yea specs they took from the original vehicles they tested on the rubicon trail. I'm at work can't find it now. Will post up link later.
AVNINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNINE View Post
Yea specs they took from the original vehicles they tested on the rubicon trail. I'm at work can't find it now. Will post up link later.
Ok, I don't remember that but then again I have forgotten more important things... (anniversary...)

I thought Trail Rated was always a fairly arbitrary thing. I thought the only Jeep they actually tested on the Rubicon were the original first year of the Rubicon TJ's... hence the name Rubicon. Like I said though, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if I am wrong on this one.

Bottom line for the OP though, its just an excuse to put a badge on the Jeep thought up by some marketing genius... I just don't understand why they only put em on the driver side... LOL

Quote:
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep - 4x4 Basics - Trail-Rated Certification - 4WD SUVs
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
lancetkenyon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What does the badging mean? Absolutely nothing. Just something else to scrape off the side.
lancetkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
yep, this was in post 5... not seeing anything there that says anything about the Rubicon trail though...

Quote:
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
LostJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It means you just spent 15 bucks for that badge. lol look at the paper work from when jeep was new it says right there lol
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
kd006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha450 View Post
just got my frist jeep and have lots of question. i'll start with a couple; what does trail rated mean? also my jeep has 31" tires and my speedometer is off, how much trouble is that to fix and how? thanks
"Mrs. Olsen Hushes A Husband (Try Folgers. The Mountain Grown Coffee. Mountain Grown For Better Flavour.)" (1957)
Mad Ave strikes again.
kd006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Trail Rated is really just a marketing thing added several years ago, it doesn't mean a Jeep with a Trail Rated badge has any better offroad capability than an earlier version without the Trail Rated badge.
Mine doesn't have a badge, but wooo does that baby go

What do you think would give me a better performance gain? front locker, 35's or a Trail Rated badge?
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Shortening your air intake tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86992 View Post

What do you think would give me a better performance gain? front locker, 35's or a Trail Rated badge?
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Shortening your air intake tube?
Don't hate on the ghetto snorkel
I've got a real one now
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.