What does a track bar do and will i need an adjustable one - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What does a track bar do and will i need an adjustable one

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What does a track bar do and will i need an adjustable one

OK, I know were the track bar goes and what it looks like but: what does it do? will i need a new one when i get my 4 inch rc X lift next month? I am getting pissed because the search feature is not telling me anything. it only telling me info about ones that break.

crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It keeps your axle centered under the Jeep. When you lift your Jeep, the geometry of the track bar changes and it will pull the axle to one side. With a 4" lift you will most likely want to buy adjustable track bars or to at least get something to relocate the track bar mounts.
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am having a local tire shop install the lift. If i have them install it, will i ever have to mess with it? I really dont want to **** with anything since my mechanic skills bite, big time. also, i see a front track bar as well as the rear. should i go ahead and just purchase them both? I dont want my beast to look weird without it. its too purdy right now!
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unbolt it at see what happens when you're installing the lift. It will give you a better idea of its importance. Just don't drive without it.
Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Osmosiz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i suggest you find a friend whos mechanical skills dont bite. then you help him install it. that way if something does break youll know what your looking at, and how it works. and then you wont have to pay some tire place ?? to install a suspension lift. instead.. go buy a six pack of root beer and find some friends who own tool kits. and take your purdy jeep and get to work.

oh yea.. only get the front track bar. and dont instal the dropped pitman arm. and i hope you got the 2.2 shocks. and are you going with the transfer case drop kit? i assume so. also dont forget to hit the rear shock upper bolts with some pb blaster and heat before you try to take them out. also what tires are you getting with this lift? i hope its 33's. and are you sticking with stock rims or getting some with more backspacing? in which case will allow you to get 12.5 width. .. anyway. im not trying to be mean , im just trying to illustrate that you kind of need to know what your doing. and if you dont care to learn, then stick with a 3 inch body lift and some chrome and drive it to the mall.

but yea.. install it yourself. if you do, the people on this forum will gladly help you, including me. and you will thank us for it. its a fun project.

P.s. - theres definatly someone on this forum from that area that would help you out, or at least inpsect what your doing to make sure everything is going smooth.

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

X series comes with an adjustable front track bar and a new bracket that lowers it, so you should install the drop pitman arm. All included though, no need to buy anything extra unless you want an adjustable rear track bar.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
I am having a local tire shop install the lift. If i have them install it, will i ever have to mess with it? I really dont want to **** with anything since my mechanic skills bite, big time. also, i see a front track bar as well as the rear. should i go ahead and just purchase them both? I dont want my beast to look weird without it. its too purdy right now!
Looks like the kit you are purchasing already comes with an adjustable front track bar and a rear track bar bracket. So if they tire shop you are having install the lift actually knows what they are doing and installs and adjusts the kit correctly, then you should be just fine.

Edit: Hyperboarder beat me!
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Osmosiz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i wish mine came with all that... when i bought my x series it came with bare minimum. so i had to buy the adjustable front track bar and and i dropped the pitman arm.. it was such a pita to get the stock one off.... only to put it back on the next day.

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't blame the search function...just blame your inability to find the correct thread. If you get under there and look at your track bars, things will be obvious. One end connects to the frame while the other end connects to the axle on the opposite side of the jeep in order to keep the axle laterally centered under the rig. The rear track bar frame mount is on the passenger side while the front frame mount is on the driver side. Therefore, the axles will be pulled toward the frame mounted side when the suspension height is increased. This is because the track bar is a fixed length that can't compensate for the added suspension height. This is why a cheap fix (relocation bracket) or a good fix (adjustable track bar) are needed. If you go with an adjustable track bar, go with a good unit (not procomp). With a 4" lift, both axles will shift noticeably.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ok, so buying a trackbar

good stuff. I dont really want anything to break because i was cheap. The jeep is mostly a concrete pounder but i do like to get in the hills every once in a while. I would rather buy a new one if you guys think i will break the one i have now. I do like to twist my jeep up pretty good on the trails. Rough country makes one and i'll get it if you think its sufficient.
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you ordered the X series you will get an adjustable front. I would suggest (though it's not required) that you get their adjustable rear to compliment the set up.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
MTSkull
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Imped4now, would you care to elaborate on the procomp tack bar statement?
MTSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull_Unlimited View Post
Imped4now, would you care to elaborate on the procomp tack bar statement?
I'm curious too. I've never used Pro-Comp suspension products. What is so bad about them. Totally not that I believe you, I just liked technical explantions of things. Got any specifics?
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the track bar bracket that came with my OME lift and my rear axle still wasn't centered. You're going to need an adjustable rear bar if one isn't included...if you want your rear axle centered. There's some debate on whether it's imperative that your rear axle is centered. After I installed my bracket my axle was off center by about an inch...I didn't like that.
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow this seems to be an issue

With an off axle, does that mean the jeep walks like a crooked dog? I better buy one. I broke the pins of the rear springs on my 78 chevy 4x4 and it walked like a dog. I had that thing fixed the next day. Do you think the RC prefered track bars would do the trick?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.