What do you do to make your TJ less "car like" and more "Jeep like" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What do you do to make your TJ less "car like" and more "Jeep like"

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
loudog3114

What do you do to make your TJ less "car like" and more "Jeep like"

Just as the the title says... the TJ is pretty refined as far as the CJ, YJ, TJ line goes. What do you guys do to make yours a little more rugged? In all honesty, since I drove my friends YJ im kinda starting to dislike the refinement of my TJ's interior.

loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
cwlongshot
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If your question is about changes to make to the interior......add a coat of mudd.

If the exterior is the question, lift it (2" BB) add a new set of less BS rims (4" BS AR 767's) and more rugged treaded tires(You choose, I like the BFG MT/AT).

I think having a lugged tire just an inch or so outside the flair really 'toughens" up the looks of a Jeep. Mudd never hurts on the looks outside either!

Go to some rallys, find a Jeep you like, ask them whay they did! Most jeepers love to talk about what they have done to their rigs!! Hell, thats why they are there!!!!!!!!

CW
'99 TJ 4.0 5 spd D30 W/AUSSIE & 8.8 W/ECTED 4:10's http://cave76.org/forums/cromag.php?...g&u=cwlongshot

'89 MJ 4.0 AW4 Hi-Pinion D30 with SPARTAN D44 W/DETROIT LOCKER 4:56's http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1230
cwlongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd ask "JeepCrawler_98", he seems to have figured out a way. He has a complete custom fabricated dash.
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Gundog

With the wet floors, weak or broken heaters, high interior noise levels and farmtruck ride and handling, I don't think I've ever heard someone describe a TJ as "carlike".
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
00Jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundog
With the wet floors, weak or broken heaters, high interior noise levels and farmtruck ride and handling, I don't think I've ever heard someone describe a TJ as "carlike".
x2
Unread 01-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I will agree on the mud...

pull the rear seat, brackets and seatbelt...apply a do-it-yourself bedliner...

then go wheelin' in the mud, with no drain plugs, no doors, and just a bikini top...

a good coat of mud on the inside of the windshield is like food for the soul...

keep it muddy enough the wife refuses to ride in it, and you're set...

and no reason to wash it once you get home...

here's a pic from Monday, June 28th:

and here's one from Sunday, November 14th:

you can tell it's a different day, as the nerf bars from the first pic are gone, and the steel cable on the winch has been replaced with synthetic rope...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #7
JTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hahaha...that made my day, BigWaylon.

I always liked my homemade storage box in the back with rails, not only functional but the chicks dig it!
JTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Soon2AdjustYou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So far I agree with the previous methods, however I have one that should be used before all of them

Dont listen to the *******'s that complain about the TJ being a Car, or that the TJ has a minivan dash.

I guarentee that if Jeep would have made the TJ more like the CJ and YJ.......they'd be out of production. Times change, vehicles change to keep up.

You have a more capable Jeep from the factory then any other Jeep that has been made.

Be happy with it.........I love mine........covered in mud or not.

Branon

ohh........and yes.......I'm planning on a custom dash myself....
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Sammy Jenkins

mud, dirt, and war scars always seems to give a jeep more of a ruggid character. body armour seems to always work as well.

and a mannual tranny
Sammy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
MR.CLIFFORD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I line my dash with empty budweiser cans. Sure makes it seem backass redneckish with a side of white trash! Hell!! It matches all the Chevy trucks around here.
MR.CLIFFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

I added a factory center console and an auto-dimming rear view mirror, and some grab handles on the roll cage, and some better speakers front and rear...

Oh wait, you said LESS car like... sorry
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
got4-Lo

ehh...those are some 33's mt's

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
macb

less car - more jeep...
hmmm...I miss my old CJ sometimes!

pull the carpet and line the interior...
put on some rock rails (drilling is FUN!)...

the plastic glove box has been replaced with a peice of diamond plate as well, and
my winch controls are mounted there.

add some Poison Spyder Trail corners in the rear with LEDs for good measure:

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]

Last edited by macb; 01-04-2005 at 12:01 PM..
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
BlueJ

That is why I chose a TJ, for the refinements!!! Isn't that why we all have them, cause they are coil sprung, round headlights again, new 5 speeds in 2000 and up, dana 44's, and, new interiors?! I love my interior and how modern (if that can be said about a Jeep) it looks.

I know there are a ton of other reasons, but dang, they are Jeeps. Everyone and their mom's know what they are made for and would never say, "Hey, your jeep looks like a caravan on the inside?!"

Same stuff as most of ya got. =)
BlueJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
ricky

Like Big Waylon said, pull the carpet and bed liner it! Blows my mind when I look out the window and see people checking out the bedliner! I did it originally to get the spilled bait stink out of it!! I also pulled the back seat too for more room for gear and such...

Bunch of cool lookin' Manik stuff (black)

2" BB

1" BL

BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #56
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.