Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#19,761 ·
so then ethan...can I use a wire hanger? or do I need to go get the proper welding rod? Also do I need to wire the batteries in series? Or can I simply use one battery? All I need is one freaking tack weld lol
Welding rod would work best but since only tacking for a short time, get a good thick 1/8" diameter wire or bigger coat hanger. Strip any coating off of it. One battery again will do, since only tacking a couple of places. Do you know how to stick weld?

What you wanna do is put the coat hanger in the jumper cable as it says, and strike the coat hanger across the part until the arc starts and keep the end of the coat hanger about an 1/8" away from the part still maintaining a good arc. Should do it. :2thumbsup:

#19,762 ·
The further away you have the end of the hanger from the part still maintaining the arc, gives the part more heat. Keeping the hanger closer to the part while welding, keeps the heat lower. You might have to just play with it some.

#19,765 ·
I let my TJ sit in the garage today and collect dust. I rode the bike to work since there was no frost in the morning! Tomorrow I am driving the CJ to work with no top at all!!!!! :woot:

#19,766 ·
lol LEARNING CURVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks ethan, tomorrow will be interesting!
Hey no problem. Let me know how it goes. If the coat hanger starts an arc, but tends to just stick to the part, you need another battery hooked up. (Needs more juice and heat)

#19,769 ·
Thanks! I wasnt sure I wanted to tear a something apart 2 weeks after I bought it but I said what the hell and went for it. My father also just purchased a Waxoyl system and we will be applying that to the under side of the Jeep along with his Tundra in the next few weeks.
Be sure and post pics of the finished products... I am at work offshore so it will be a couple weeks for I am home to do the floor in my jeep. :thumbsup:

#19,771 ·
I busted my leg climbing up on my tire and spent 4 hours in the hospital.
How short are you? Or are you running 77" tires? LOL!!!

#19,773 ·
loaded up my jeep for a weekend in the mountains and some white water rafting on the Ocoee River...:2thumbsup:

#19,774 ·
While I wait for the man in the brown truck with some Porsche parts, I installed a Kilby air tank under my Jeep and attached it to my existing OBA system. I also did some touch up painting on my tube doors.

#19,779 ·
yup, I have tried, both wires to power, one at a time of course,and tried grounding to the frame, and back into the jeep wiring ground, and have had several other guys look at, and none of us can figure it out. I have another jeeper friend who's jeep was wired with the leds and we wired it the same way as his and it still wont work, we have also tried two different lights just to make sure that the one we were using wasn't bad. The only way to get it to work is to leave the stock signal wired in and then tie in the led light.

#19,780 ·
yup, I have tried, both wires to power, one at a time of course,and tried grounding to the frame, and back into the jeep wiring ground, and have had several other guys look at, and none of us can figure it out. I have another jeeper friend who's jeep was wired with the leds and we wired it the same way as his and it still wont work, we have also tried two different lights just to make sure that the one we were using wasn't bad. The only way to get it to work is to leave the stock signal wired in and then tie in the led light.
Did you try it dirrectly on the battery terminals? That will determine if it's a light issue or a wiring issue...

Run a tester to see if the wiring is fine. I'm too cheap to buy one so I always tape wires to a dash bulb, and run one to each wire. The bulb should turn on.