What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 6606 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 08-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #99076
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedawgshow
Although I have not purchased them yet, I like A to Z Fabrication. USA made and seem like the right stuff!!!
I absolutely love mine. They have taken a serious beating and still are in great shape. I went with the wheel well to wheel well version. image-354143626.jpg

OT: replaced my battery over the weekend only to have my alternator give up the ghost today... It seized on my way to work. Smoke pouring from the hood as the belt shredded. Had to get my wife to wake up the kids and bring her Saturn to tow me home. Stole her car for the day to get to work. Picked up a new alternator and belt on the way home. Surprisingly, my 5yr old son actually helped this time. Normally he "helps" for a max of 5 minutes until a neighborhood kid asks him to come play. He helped route the belt and tighten down the alternator. Went for a quick test drive to return the core and we are back in business.

While at the store my son repeatedly asked the sales rep if they had winches that would fit his power wheels truck... I may have to rig something up for him.

686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #99077
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686keydragon View Post
I absolutely love mine. They have taken a serious beating and still are in great shape. I went with the wheel well to wheel well version. Attachment 1524394

OT: replaced my battery over the weekend only to have my alternator give up the ghost today... It seized on my way to work. Smoke pouring from the hood as the belt shredded. Had to get my wife to wake up the kids and bring her Saturn to tow me home. Stole her car for the day to get to work. Picked up a new alternator and belt on the way home. Surprisingly, my 5yr old son actually helped this time. Normally he "helps" for a max of 5 minutes until a neighborhood kid asks him to come play. He helped route the belt and tighten down the alternator. Went for a quick test drive to return the core and we are back in business.

While at the store my son repeatedly asked the sales rep if they had winches that would fit his power wheels truck... I may have to rig something up for him.
Pics of the Saturn towing the Jeep? Lol!

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #99078
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoLoco View Post
Swapped my 7 year old 3" Full Traction springs for some Savvy/Currie 3" ones. Whilst performing the swap, I discovered the following:

Air tools are still awesome.

Spring compressors still give me the willies.

For a quick trail repair, JB Weld does a nice job of holding a front lower bumpstop puck on the spring perch after you somehow break the bolt.

A front spring is kind of a pain in the *** to remove if you can't get the JB Weld to let go of your bumpstop puck.

It's probably not a good idea to JB Weld your bumpstops to your axle.
Took her for a drive and definitely could tell a difference in ride. Made as much if not more of a difference as swapping my Bilstein 5100s for Zone hydros recently. I always heard most of your ride harshness is from your shocks but these springs really helped a lot. They measure out to be right at 3" of lift in the front and probably 3" to 3.5" in the rear (kind of hard to measure the length of a banana... do you measure to the highest point?) STILL have 2.5" of rake as measured from the tires to the flares. I'm blaming higher perches on my 8.8, but it is a little annoying lol.

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #99079
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got the death wobble again today. I don't get it, my Jeep has been fine ever since I put a class 12.9 screw in my track bar a few days ago. And then driving to the freeway on my way to work today my steering wheel started oscillating, then when I got on I5 the speed wobbles came back very randomly at 60-65. I need some serious help, I've tried everything!!!!
kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #99080
77midget
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmccar View Post
Got the death wobble again today. I don't get it, my Jeep has been fine ever since I put a class 12.9 screw in my track bar a few days ago. And then driving I the freeway on my way to work today my steering wheel started oscillating, then when I got on I5 the speed wobbles came back very randomly at 60-65. I need some serious help, I've tried everything!!!!
I have had the DW a couple times from various worn components, and each time I learned that the best way to diagnose is to ignore newer / replaced parts, and start diagnosis from the beginning- dry steer test, check each connection/pivot point list and eliminate as you go. I have, at different times, had to replace a ball joint, a trackbar, and a tie-rod-end. The next part for me to go will be my CA bushings, and I am going to do those before the DW starts again. I find that doing a dry steer test with my iphone on a bucket watching the front suspension is a great method.

Regarding the new TB bolt that you installed- did it fit tight? Was the hole wallowed in any way? If you tightened up one end of the TB, is it now stressing the other end?
77midget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #99081
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77midget
Regarding the new TB bolt that you installed- did it fit tight? Was the hole wallowed in any way? If you tightened up one end of the TB, is it now stressing the other end?
Yeah, it was just a normal m10x1.5 screw - I'm still using the stock weld nut even.

What do you mean "wallowed?"
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #99082
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah, it was just a normal m10x1.5 screw - I'm still using the stock weld nut even.

What do you mean "wallowed?"
Egg shaped hole that that bolt went through

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using my thumb
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #99083
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj
Egg shaped hole that that bolt went through Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using my thumb
I didn't specifically check that, but I'm 90% sure that the hole was good, and it's a brand new track bar so the bushing should also be OK.

I'll do another dry steering test when I get home and see if it reviles anything.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #99084
77midget
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
Egg shaped hole that that bolt went through

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using my thumb
^^This.
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #99085
77midget
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't specifically check that, but I'm 90% sure that the hole was good, and it's a brand new track bar so the bushing should also be OK.

I'll do another dry steering test when I get home and see if it reviles anything.
The bushing might be fine, but the hole on the mount might be damaged-in my case it was both, but the PO had installed a TB lowering bracket, and that was the one that was damaged. removed that, replaced with an adjustable TB into the original mount, and voila- no more shimmy on the TB. Also, the movement was diagnosed on a dry steer test showing the lower TB mount shifting.
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #99086
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just bought a cargo net and safari top for the jeep. So I can roll almost with no top but still beable to trust the dog in the back seat and be safe from the sun.

Also picked out the new "paint" and paint scheme for the jeep. Going with monstaliner all the way around, from the top of the flares on down will be black and up including hood, grill, and windshield will be predator green. Then later on I will paint the hard top black, and paint the interior to match with the green and black, as well as steering components and stuff like that later on.
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #99087
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed the cause of my previous DW by getting my tires rebalanced yesterday (although technically it was rear roughness since I had rotated the bad tires to the back). DT agreed they were out, although when I first talked to the manager, he stated out-of-balance wouldn't cause DW. I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #99088
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Gave it a bath.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #99089
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Gave my wife's TJ and my TJ an much needed bath, now it will rain tonight.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #99090
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I fixed the cause of my previous DW by getting my tires rebalanced yesterday (although technically it was rear roughness since I had rotated the bad tires to the back). DT agreed they were out, although when I first talked to the manager, he stated out-of-balance wouldn't cause DW. I laughed.
Im sure he doesn't drive a Jeep

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.