What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 6536 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #98026
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Figured out mounting for my rock lights. 5 down each side. Some are mounted with the nut, some are pressed in a grommet. Used my handy dandy PSU to power them to check overlap. Still have 2 (which are much brighter and whiter than the others) left so may use those for backup lights when I ditch the bumper. Hopefully get them all wired tomorrow. Also ripped the carpet out (actually ripped one piece, oops) and put the safari top on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #98027
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Since my ccfab fenders are on order I went ahead and installed jk turn signals into the grill. I actually started yesterday and got one done before I was interrupted... Then I had to drive around all day feeling like an idiot... Finished up today. Taped the original housings for the next few days of driving. image-4098317690.jpg Also picked up 5 aluminum 15x8's off craigslist for $125. Structurally they are perfect, but the chrome coating is coming off in spots. Just need to clean them up and either paint or plastidip them black. Anyone have suggestions on how to remove the rest of the coating? Sanding? image-830322600.jpg
686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #98028
charles3108
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This morning I tightened the emergency brake cable and I cut the rusted fenders and will install diamond plate covers.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-1607501012.jpg

image-2276622127.jpg

charles3108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #98029
ekpowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got most of the new lift and upgrades done: MC 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5160s, crown HD steering, skid row engine/tranny skid, and misc other stuff. Waitng on new driveshaft to be delivered, OEM bolts from jeep dealer for rear swaybar links, billet remote reservoir shock mounts from Bilstein, and remaining hardware from MC for front swaybar discos. I actually have no vibrations at all with the TC drop spacer removed. Drives like dream compared to the 4" RC lift that the previous owner put on.

Anyone in Houston that wants the Body Armor rock rails can have them for $75. Brand new just paid $250 for them. They don't work very well with the Rubicon diamond plate rock rails. Too much rubbing and popping/squeaking of the body mounts from how they mount. I have tried every way possible to adjust them. I am giving up. If you don't have any other side armor they probably work great.
image-3741156995.jpg

image-3702455462.jpg

image-22716578.jpg

image-2550436439.jpg

image-3068995071.jpg

image-3338103991.jpg

ekpowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #98030
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekpowell View Post
Got most of the new lift and upgrades done: MC 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5160s, crown HD steering, skid row engine/tranny skid, and misc other stuff. Waitng on new driveshaft to be delivered, OEM bolts from jeep dealer for rear swaybar links, billet remote reservoir shock mounts from Bilstein, and remaining hardware from MC for front swaybar discos. I actually have no vibrations at all with the TC drop spacer removed. Drives like dream compared to the 4" RC lift that the previous owner put on.

Anyone in Houston that wants the Body Armor rock rails can have them for $75. Brand new just paid $250 for them. They don't work very well with the Rubicon diamond plate rock rails. Too much rubbing and popping/squeaking of the body mounts from how they mount. I have tried every way possible to adjust them. I am giving up. If you don't have any other side armor they probably work great.
Make sure you check your bumpstops. Looks like you may only have a few inches of uptravel in the rear.

Otherwise congratulations on the install. You replaced rough country parts with the best you can buy!

Edit: it's a good idea to check them if you haven't but the picture was playing tricks on me, it seems I was paying more attention to the reservoir than the actual shock body.
Ljcrawler05 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #98031
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Why not just sell the rubi diamond plate? Those usually go pretty quick in the classifieds for $100 or so

New lift looks good!
Unread 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #98032
ekpowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05
Make sure you check your bumpstops. Looks like you may only have a few inches of uptravel in the rear. Otherwise congratulations on the install. You replaced rough country parts with the best you can buy! Edit: it's a good idea to check them if you haven't but the picture was playing tricks on me, it seems I was paying more attention to the reservoir than the actual shock body.
The angle of the pictures is a little misleading. The shop that did some of the work for me said the compressed and flexed it to set the bump stops. I went out and flexed it some myself yesterday. Front is okay with 2 pucks from the MC adjustable bumpstops. That leaves me still 1" before tire even gets close to fender with no other interference issues up front. I could probably take one out if I wanted. I was worried on the rear that I could actually bottom out the shock before the Jounce bumper flattened out completely. Flexed it as much as I could. Rear track bar is close to the gas tank skid but no issues. I went ahead and inserted a 3rd puck on the rear to be safe. That leaves me with about 5.5" of uptravel with a little safety factor for the shock.

Was supposed to be 5100s but the supplier ran out after I ordered and shipped 5160s for no charge, so not complaining.
Unread 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #98033
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Looks great!!

Why not grind the bottom of the rubi rails so there is more room? Or is it squeaking at the mounting points on the body mounts?
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #98034
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The angle of the pictures is a little misleading. The shop that did some of the work for me said the compressed and flexed it to set the bump stops. I went out and flexed it some myself yesterday. Front is okay with 2 pucks from the MC adjustable bumpstops. That leaves me still 1" before tire even gets close to fender with no other interference issues up front. I could probably take one out if I wanted. I was worried on the rear that I could actually bottom out the shock before the Jounce bumper flattened out completely. Flexed it as much as I could. Rear track bar is close to the gas tank skid but no issues. I went ahead and inserted a 3rd puck on the rear to be safe. That leaves me with about 5.5" of uptravel with a little safety factor for the shock.

Was supposed to be 5100s but the supplier ran out after I ordered and shipped 5160s for no charge, so not complaining.
Ah OK cool stuff... and that's a good free upgrade!
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #98035
ekpowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ
Looks great!! Why not grind the bottom of the rubi rails so there is more room? Or is it squeaking at the mounting points on the body mounts?
I added washers on top of the body mount between the arm on the rail and the body mount (it becomes not flimsy when doing this). I ground down and rounded the edges of the arms on the rock rails to help prevent metal on metal rubbing from the arm to the metal on the body mount outriggers. They are fine driving in straight line on flat surface. As soon as you turn or hit bumps or stress the vehicle in any way is when the noise starts. It is hard to pin down exactly what is going on. Just not a good fit and design. I like the Rubicon diamond plate rocker guards. Don't really want to take them off and then drill new holes in the tub for something else. This jeep has less than 9k miles in it. Maybe I can pull the Rubicon guards off and cut the tubes off the Body armor rails and weld them on the Rubicon guards? Only reason I need a tube/step is for my wife who is all of 5' tall, but rarely rides or drives in the jeep anyway. I just don't want to here the complaints when I want us to drive the jeep somewhere instead of her car (which I barely fit in) or my truck.
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #98036
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I added washers on top of the body mount between the arm on the rail and the body mount (it becomes not flimsy when doing this). I ground down and rounded the edges of the arms on the rock rails to help prevent metal on metal rubbing from the arm to the metal on the body mount outriggers. They are fine driving in straight line on flat surface. As soon as you turn or hit bumps or stress the vehicle in any way is when the noise starts. It is hard to pin down exactly what is going on. Just not a good fit and design. I like the Rubicon diamond plate rocker guards. Don't really want to take them off and then drill new holes in the tub for something else. This jeep has less than 9k miles in it. Maybe I can pull the Rubicon guards off and cut the tubes off the Body armor rails and weld them on the Rubicon guards? Only reason I need a tube/step is for my wife who is all of 5' tall, but rarely rides or drives in the jeep anyway. I just don't want to here the complaints when I want us to drive the jeep somewhere instead of her car (which I barely fit in) or my truck.
In that case you can sell the body armor sliders and look for products like under cover fab rock sliders. They replace the rubi sliders and use the same mounting holes. The ucf sliders are thicker and you can weld the tube to the side of them. Companies also sell the add on tube or you can get a shop to bend some tube and weld that on. Either way, there is plenty of options out there for you

http://www.undercoverfab.com/rocker-...r-jeep-tj.html
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #98037
ekpowell
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ
In that case you can sell the body armor sliders and look for products like under cover fab rock sliders. They replace the rubi sliders and use the same mounting holes. The ucf sliders are thicker and you can weld the tube to the side of them. Companies also sell the add on tube or you can get a shop to bend some tube and weld that on. Either way, there is plenty of options out there for you http://www.undercoverfab.com/rocker-...r-jeep-tj.html
Thanks for the advice. I had already contacted Matt at UCF and he said he could weld on some tubes to their Rubicon bolt in replacement rocker guards for $150 I think I am leaning that way.
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #98038
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did my final flex test with bump stop extensions. All clear.

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Sent from my JeepForum using iPhone...oh wait...what?...
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #98039
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Built some brackets to hold in an old net from my gf's old car

We shall see how it works out

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #98040
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pics of my first ramp flex after some wheeling behind my local Jeep dealership
10446705_807550989269772_1428284185999421835_n.jpg   10435129_807551102603094_4082646410486796880_n.jpg  

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.