Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#118,601 ·
^^ What did they do wrong or to your Jeep that made them clean it up for you?

Like when I bring my wife flowers, the first words out of her mouth are always... "What did you do now?"

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
#118,602 ·
^^ What did they do wrong or to your Jeep that made them clean it up for you?

Like when I bring my wife flowers, the first words out of her mouth are always... "What did you do now?"
I kept the keys when I left it there. They were trying new products on their vehicles and figured they'd do mine too.

Reactions: ChadH and 99sajeep
#118,603 ·
Today I started looking at new engine options for my 2000 TJ Sport 4.0L.
I purchased it as a restoration project from the original owner.
It is in very nice condition, but needs a new head gasket or new head.
I plan to replace the gasket or head for now, but as part of my project I plan to rebuild the original engine or replace it with a new one.

#118,606 ·
Last weekend I fixed an issue with the back glass on our hardtop. The rear has always leaked since we bought the LJ 1.5 yrs ago. Particularly, it seemed the rear glass has never set completely firm on the hardtop seal. In looking into it, it looked like the hinges were bent, so I ordered a new set of hinges just for * & giggles.

Before...

After...

Comparing the hinges side by side... (new on left, old on right)
Yep! Definitely bent!

Now just need to wait on a rain storm and see the difference! ;)

#118,607 ·
So, was able to install the upgraded zj tie rod and drag link after installing ball joints. Unfortunately I stripped the bolt holding the steering stabilizer To the tie rod. But, otherwise all went smoothly. I will firmly attest to the fact a cheap ball joint press will bend and then be basically useless to install the new joints. Had to go borrow one from Autozone and they went right in.

#118,609 ·
Today it was a sunny and warm 70 degrees, so I decided it was time to start tearing into the engine to repair the head gasket or replace the head on my 2000 TJ.
Once I remove the head, I’ll have it checked.
If it isn’t cracked I’ll just get the valves done and put it back on with a new gasket.
I’m planning a complete rebuild of the engine and the entire Jeep later this year and will put on a new later model head at that time.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

#118,610 ·
Interesting that the hinges bent like that. As if snow and ice had built up underneath.
I don’t think it’s a snow or ice issue. This LJ was originally sold in Houston and has lived its life Southwest of there until we bought it. It currently lives in San Antonio.
it’s more likely to have been corrosion on the hinge pins due to the salt air, although they move quite freely. There are obvious indentions on the inside edges of the hinges, like something had been pinched underneath them at some point.

#118,611 ·
Today I removed the power steering pump, the serpentine belt, and a couple other small thing’s in my way.
Do I really need to remove the ac compressor?
Neither the compressor nor its bracket attaches to the head, intake or the exhaust on my 4.0L.

Another quick question:
The service manual says to do the fuel pressure release procedure before disconnecting the fuel rail.
My Jeep hasn’t been run for several days and the manual says the pressure will drop to 0 psi by the time the engine cools off.
Do I need to do the procedure or should the fuel pressure in the system be gone by now?

#118,612 ·
This morning I finally finished reassembling and installing full doors. The internal locking mechanism, latch, key cylinders, door handles and window crank all gave me problems. At one point the locks refused to unlock while the door was closed on the tub. That was frustrating.

Sanding, rust reforming, priming, cleaning, painting, dying door cards, cleaning, lubing, disassembling lock mechanisms, etc.

I guess it comes with the territory of refurbishing >22 year old automotive parts.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Window

#118,614 ·
Today I got the phone call from the machine shop letting me know the oem head on my 2000 4.0L TJ was cracked in three separate places.
I started looking for a new TUPY head and so far no luck.
Does anyone have any suggestions on who sells a real good replacement?
I’ve found a few on line but the companies have some really poor reviews.
Thanks!