What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 6186 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Reply
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #92776
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes
Brown Santa brought uniden 520xl and 3' fire stik. Going to mount it in my center console with the speaker facing out where the console sub used to be. Pics when I get them
I did that as well. Mounted two radios in the center console. Looks good when complete.

2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #92777
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLJeeper View Post
Ordered some from Amazon. What exactly needs to be done to prep it correctly?
Just make sure everything is clean. They sell plastic prep wipes & things at the autoparts stores....but I've not used those.

I was instructed by the local paint place not to use stuff like MEK for cleaning on the plastic b/c it is too harsh.

I have used alcohol on some of the parts, but not too much of it.

I usually rinse, scrub with a hard brush & dish soap, rinse, scrub with dish soap, rinse, scuff with fairly fine sandpaper (nothing too aggressive), rinse, scrub/soap, rinse, air dry & wipe down with microfiber.

Then I use the adhesion promoter (usually 2 coats), wait 15min, then a very light coat of color, wait 5-10min, then 3 coats of color (last 2 pretty thick) with about 10 min between coats, then 1-2 coats of clear....I recently tried a rustoleum matte clear over SEM satin black & I love the finish, but can't say how it holds up yet.

My photobucket isn't loading right now, but you can check out my "build" thread....& an old thread I have titled "painted my console" or something

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #92778
Youngster
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montgomery, Alabama (AL)
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix333 View Post
Hey, I'm in Auburn too! Everyone said to stay off the streets... but I couldn't resist

Yeah I was cruising around this morning. I saw you riding around campus a week or so ago, sharp looking jeep
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #92779
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Just make sure everything is clean. They sell plastic prep wipes & things at the autoparts stores....but I've not used those.

I was instructed by the local paint place not to use stuff like MEK for cleaning on the plastic b/c it is too harsh.

I have used alcohol on some of the parts, but not too much of it.

I usually rinse, scrub with a hard brush & dish soap, rinse, scrub with dish soap, rinse, scuff with fairly fine sandpaper (nothing too aggressive), rinse, scrub/soap, rinse, air dry & wipe down with microfiber.

Then I use the adhesion promoter (usually 2 coats), wait 15min, then a very light coat of color, wait 5-10min, then 3 coats of color (last 2 pretty thick) with about 10 min between coats, then 1-2 coats of clear....I recently tried a rustoleum matte clear over SEM satin black & I love the finish, but can't say how it holds up yet.

My photobucket isn't loading right now, but you can check out my "build" thread....& an old thread I have titled "painted my console" or something

Sent by a messenger bird
SEM makes a low sheen clear in their color coat line with a UV inhibitor in it. I've been testing a fuel filler bezel I painted and laid in the sun. It has been there for 2 years and looks the same as the day I painted it.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #92780
trentinator55
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
I got backed into!?!? Stay with a stock fender, or upgrade??? 33's on a 4"lift
trentinator55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #92781
thedaringmove
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Luis Obispo, California
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentinator55
I got backed into!?!? Stay with a stock fender, or upgrade??? 33's on a 4"lift
collect the check from insurance and throw some ccfab hoodlines on. 190$ and then you'll be ready for 35s
thedaringmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #92782
DezertTJ
Lost
 
DezertTJ's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 4,597
Purchased a set of front Currie 4" coils for the LJ
__________________
06 LJ Rubicon: AZ Backcountry LJ Build
DezertTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #92783
jjvw
Hipster Jeep
 
jjvw's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,337
The ZJ tie rod went on a couple hours ago.
__________________
'03 Rubicon
jjvw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #92784
ThatWhiteJeep
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw
The ZJ tie rod went on a couple hours ago.
How is it? Did you just reuse your old drag link?
__________________
Like my GrandPappy said, only way to learn is to do it yourself. Even if you break some things along the way.
ThatWhiteJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #92785
LukeADukes
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wayne, New Jersey
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
I did that as well. Mounted two radios in the center console. Looks good when complete.
Did you run the wires with the console in or out? What do you think is easier
__________________
Always look both ways before crossing the stream.
LukeADukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #92786
Mattific
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentinator55
I got backed into!?!? Stay with a stock fender, or upgrade??? 33's on a 4"lift
I love how the steel bumper just didn't quite protect it. On that note it just depends on how you want it to look. I personally like tube fenders but you probably won't get enough from insurance to completely cover that cost
__________________
2004 Wrangler Sport - Yeller
Mattific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #92787
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

SEM makes a low sheen clear in their color coat line with a UV inhibitor in it. I've been testing a fuel filler bezel I painted and laid in the sun. It has been there for 2 years and looks the same as the day I painted it.
I actually picked up a can of that; I was going to see how it does on the dash. My only concern is if it is going to be flat enough.

I had painted my gauge trim & dash center bezel gloss black to match my exterior...but got tired of getting blinded by the reflection it was changed soon after

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #92788
jjvw
Hipster Jeep
 
jjvw's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteJeep View Post
How is it? Did you just reuse your old drag link?
I kept the original drag link. It seems to be fine as far as I can tell. The swap, tape measure alignment and front end lube took about an hour. Everything was fine during the low speed, 4 mile drive home from work.
__________________
'03 Rubicon
jjvw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #92789
686keydragon
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 297
Nothing today, but thanks to Gerald at savvy I have plans for tomorrow night or this weekend. . New front uppers and some bushings to rebuild one of my rear uppers.

image-3159388003.jpg
686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #92790
KoolAidMan888
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ashford, CT
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathfarm View Post
Gave it a good bath to get rid of the road salt....of course it is suppose to snow 3-6 inches tonight!
I love when that happens
__________________
Aerospace CNC tube bending.
KoolAidMan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
modifications , tj
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.