What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 6080 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #91186
Slobert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got out to do some wheeling and test my recent upgrades. Namely BFG mud terrains, a Currie Antirock on the front and Detroit Truetracs front and rear (also a re-gear to 4.88's with Yukon shafts. The antirock flexes just about as good as disconnected, and only a little more body lean on the street. I run mine in the last hole ( loosest ) The truetracs were amazing in the snow, ice and mud that I played in today. I purposely got it crossed up and lifted a tire to see if dragging the brakes worked. Meh, it sorta worked, luckily with the flex of the antirock I just altered the line a bit and the 4.88 gears and truetracs drove right on up. as many have said on this forum, for rock crawling where you will be lifting tires a lot the truetracs are not a replacement for lockers, but for a daily driven rig that sees general all around wheeling I love them. My buddy who wheeled with me today was amazed. We were driving across a frozen water hole when I broke through and dropped up to the hubs. the ice was 3 inces thick and the water about a foot deep. He thought I would have to pull cable but with a little patience, Breaking up the ice with my rig and going easy on the throttle since I am still breaking in the gears I was able to drive through and climb the steep icy bank without much difficulty. Climbs that used to spin the tires a little in the best condition were climbed with ease, even with the ice and snow. I am a happy camper and have finally got my jeep set up just how I want it.

Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #91187
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Nice rig, I love my km2's. I had a ranger with the torsen ls(gear type). In the manual it explained the pedal dance procedure to get it to lock. It was "supposed" to make it work like a locker in about 75% of the situations offroad. With a 5spd, you needed 4 feet to do everything. I never could get it to work right, and the few times I did it was by accident. I've read where guys have engaged the ebrake a few clicks and used steady throttle. It never worked for me, I guess I wasn't holding my mouth right. I understand your reasoning behind a ls in the rear, but why not a locker up front?
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #91188
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bought it and drove it 300 miles home
Tylers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #91189
Slobert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
Nice rig, I love my km2's. I had a ranger with the torsen ls(gear type). In the manual it explained the pedal dance procedure to get it to lock. It was "supposed" to make it work like a locker in about 75% of the situations offroad. With a 5spd, you needed 4 feet to do everything. I never could get it to work right, and the few times I did it was by accident. I've read where guys have engaged the ebrake a few clicks and used steady throttle. It never worked for me, I guess I wasn't holding my mouth right. I understand your reasoning behind a ls in the rear, but why not a locker up front?
Autolocker in the front is not an option for me because we get snow and ice on the roads at times and that is dicey in 4WD. I considered an ARB or an OX for the front but it was a lot more money both in cost, compressor (ARB) and install labor. After weighing my needs I felt the truetrac would meet most of my needs for less money. Also, I think the truetrac will be nicer to my front axles in my D30.

I also had a Ranger with the LSD you described and it was OK, but it seemed to lock up too easy on icy roads, exaggerated because of the light bed and it could get squirrely in snow or ice. I also never got the brake trick to work very well when lifting a tire. Luckily the jeep is pretty flexy and the tires stay on the ground most of the time on the trails I play on.

Some day when this jeep is no longer a daily driver I will bump up the game with custom axles and 35's and all the many mods that go with that to keep it reliable. Until then my little trail runner should give me years of fun.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #91190
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Used it to light up my project car when the day got dark out.

No progress on my Jeep though. 2 jobs, plus this bug is taking up all my time.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #91191
hewesyourdaddy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Puttin' on my JCR Offroad bumper.
hewesyourdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #91192
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Topped off my front and rear diff fluid. Started my front wheel drive adventure.

Looked on Craigslist for a new rear axle.

What's a reasonable price for a used rear dana 35? A reasonable price for a used dana 44?
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #91193
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Topped off my front and rear diff fluid. Started my front wheel drive adventure.

What's a reasonable price for a used rear dana 35? A reasonable price for a used dana 44?
A used dana 35 could probably be had for free if you know the right person. Buying one would cost 100-150 bucks from what I've seen.

If you can find find a dana 44 expect to pay good money for it. Typical is probably 600+. I started with dana 44s f/r so I haven't looked too hard
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #91194
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Iirc, you're in fl? Check out Florida jeepers .net...maybe one will popup there.

D35 should be cheap if you can find one.

D44s are hard to find here. I ended up going with an 8.8, but would still prefer a d44 for the clearance & size.

Also, take note of the understeer, especially in the rain...fwd is interesting in a TJ.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #91195
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05
A used dana 35 could probably be had for free if you know the right person. Buying one would cost 100-150 bucks from what I've seen. If you can find find a dana 44 expect to pay good money for it. Typical is probably 600+. I started with dana 44s f/r so I haven't looked too hard
Lucky you.

I destroyed my d35. I'm Looking for a cheap replacement or an upgrade now.

There's a guy on Craigslist who basically owns a jeep junkyard. Just trying to get some rough estimates before I contact him. His prices were steep last time I contacted him.
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #91196
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Lucky you.

I destroyed my d35. I'm Looking for a cheap replacement or an upgrade now.

There's a guy on Craigslist who basically owns a jeep junkyard. Just trying to get some rough estimates before I contact him. His prices were steep last time I contacted him.
Obviously the cheaper the better, but when looking for either a dana 35 or dana 44 (preferably the 44) make sure you get an axle with the same gear ratio as your current front axle or whatever you plan to swap to if possible. If they're different you'll be paying for a regear on top of the axle price if not.
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #91197
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05
Obviously the cheaper the better, but when looking for either a dana 35 or dana 44 (preferably the 44) make sure you get an axle with the same gear ratio as your current front axle or whatever you plan to swap to if possible. If they're different you'll be paying for a regear on top of the axle price if not.
Very true.

The timing on my d35 dying is horrible. If it had happened a year or two down the road I would just stretch it and throw a 14b back there.
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #91198
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Got the Km2's taken off the Soft 8's, and put on the new to me Ecco's. I definitely need to add my 1.25" spacers to get them out more. Nothing rubs, and the coil buckets aren't really close to the tire, but mainly for looks/stability. I can't believe how much I missed a smooth ride. Between the sye/cv shaft and ditching the bent steelies, it is a smooth as stock.
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #91199
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One step forward, 2 steps back...all I had left to pack the blown motor for core was to remove the dipstick tube. I removed it alright...2 easy pieces, lol, fml
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #91200
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
One step forward, 2 steps back...all I had left to pack the blown motor for core was to remove the dipstick tube. I removed it alright...2 easy pieces, lol, fml
Did you take any pics of the swap?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.