Originally Posted by bbradUSMC
I can't wait to get some time to do mine. How many gallons did you use and did you go over the seam sealer or remove it? For the the bottom of the door are I am just going to stay at the last edge and bring it all the way up to the door strap mount.
I see you used ear plugs for your bolt holes. How did those work out and at what point did you pull them out. And last question, if you pulled your roll cage how was the install back on top of the ML? Did the ML crack or compress at all?
First off, Semper Fi Devil. For your questions, I didn't use any type of seam sealers, just the plain ol' 5 finger press job. I do live in Hawaii which made the install progress quickly and Monstaliner dries very fast with the humidity out here. I Monstalined my previous Jeep, so I kind of knew what to expect going into it. Might sound crazy, but i Applied the second coat in less than two hours after I got on the first one because it was drying so fast.
I only used the 1 gallon kit but I used every last drop of it but def lost some from the fruit roll up film that would be created on the top even after I resealed the can. I only did the "entry guard" spots as of right now but might go ahead and do the whole door entry part in the future. I also did the tailgate. All had two coats.
Yes I used the ear plugs to fill all of the screw holes. They worked great but in a few areas I had to combine about 3 for them to work and a few areas I had to cut them in half (long ways) because the holes were to small. I guess I could of used the rolled newspaper method but didn't have any newspaper at the time. The part that I wasn't expecting was that the liner would dry so fast so I had to "adapt & overcome" on the fly. I noticed that even after 2 hours when I was about to put on the second coat that this stuff was already drying around each ear plug, which would create problems if I let it dry any longer around the plugs once I went to remove them. I went ahead and pulled all the ear plugs after 1 coat and put new ones in, which were removed directly after the second coat was applied.
I really didn't do anything with the roll cage except for unzip the black fabric and pull it up some. I only put the liner up far enough that you couldn't see the line with the fabric zipped back down.
The tape lines for the entry guard spots were done the same way. After the first coat, I wanted to check to see how dry they were so I pulled up one piece of tape and noticed I better get this tape off quick because it was already drying. After I took the tape off, i reapplied all the tape using the same lines. I was worried that I wouldn't get the same lines but it seems it turned out all good.
All in all, I was a bit shocked how quick the liner dried this time around. My timeline looked like this:
Wednesday- took out all the interior (except for the drivers seat, it's my DD)
Thursday- Sanded, removed the permanent drain plugs both front and back, primed, M.E.K'ed, and put all the tape on Turkey day ( I highly do not recommend having any plans of this after eating yourself into a coma on Thanksgiving haha).
Friday-Starting Lining at about 0800, second coat about 1100 (after having to redo the ear plugs and tape), spray misted about 1600, spray misted again about 2200.
Saturday- Checked about 1000 and this stuff was rock hard. I know some people might say that it has to have time to fully cure. I started installing stuff like the seat belts, brackets, and other little stuff. I actually waited until Sunday to install the rest and give it one more day to dry (just in case)
Sunday- Reinstalled all the interior, center console, etc. Took it for a drive around town and have had zero problems with it since.
One note for the general pop, I sanded and repainted some of my bolts that were starting to look aged. One thing I did not redo is the rear seat brackets and now I have orange rust on the part where the seat bracket on the seat catches on the bracket attached to the floor. Looks like I know what i'll be doing this weekend. I was amazed it only took one rain with the windows out for it to look like this. Also, since this stuff was drying so fast, I missed a few spots where you are suppose to go back over to "texture" the end result and have some areas that appear to be a little flat. I've already ordered the 1 qt repair kit and will probably go back over a few areas or to have just in case.
Hope I answered everything, I just realized I kind of rambled haha. Good luck with doing it and I highly recommend. Also I seen a great idea after I did the install was to take a sharpie and outline your center console and other areas the liner will/won't be.