What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 5936 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #89026
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Choose the latter. On the Dubai plated red Wrangler, it's interesting how the AEV highline fenders don't line up with anything. They almost look bent in the middle. That stupid bumper only highlights the poor installation.
That's because they are bent in the middle. The snow-blindness effect of driving in the desert at mid-day combined with looking in the rear view mirror to check on the group as you discover a steep drop-off the hard way will do that.

It sheared the drivers side front body mount right off the chassis. The passenger one split. The frame's not as straight as it should be. The fenders never hit anything but they deformed. The good thing is the tub itself is still fine. Had I been running heavy duty tube fenders, maybe they would have stayed straight and the tub would have been damaged.

The new fenders should be test-fitted tomorrow.

The old ones looked like this when they were first installed. Note we seam welded one of the join lines in the fender, and the join line in the side of the tub for a smooth clean appearance that makes it look more factory.

Glad you like the bumper

Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #89027
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I think it's funny you just said "poor installation" when referring to one of the most detail oriented jeeps on here...not to mention one of the cleanest, if not the cleanest aev high line install I've seen....

Sent by a messenger bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
Am I supposed to assume that your Jeep is better than Oman's? Do you have more money tied into yours than he does? I would think that a company like AEV would be out of business if they made their products like you say they do. I also don't see anything stupid about his bumper.....Seriously though, if you don't like something, keep it to yourself and don't publicly criticize someones Jeep that isn't yours.

Thanks
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #89028
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This happened:

image-101796356.jpg

Tightened up the front end like a boss. My stock bushings were toast!

My TJ Build Thread...
bclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #89029
apayne
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a high lift jack off craigslist for 30 bucks!
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #89030
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaringmove View Post
Well update:

New windshield frame came with some imperfections... So doing something different and getting it powdercoater a textured black to match my fenders. Hoping it will be one of a kind...

Also it seems the roll cage is tweaked I'm going to have to use spacers to fasten the passenger side cage bar to the windshield. It's about 3/4" away from even touching the windshield frame. Hopefully the hardtop still goes on!
I picked up a cage for $200. If its tweaked I feel that it would have a major weak point. I've been upside down too and after seeing how bad my roll cage was I wouldn't chance jerry riggin it. That's your life your talking about

Live Free,
Brad
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #89031
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post

It's not fakey - it's tried and tested! Unfortunately had a head-on collision in the dunes about 6 years ago - that one prompted the AEV Highline install. This time bending the frame prompted the Brute conversion. Gotta find those silver linings on those cloudy moments.

Minor bends in the bumper that were straightened out. Thankfully these days - more people run dune flags.

Too bad those minor bumps on the street come with so much paperwork. Otherwise it would be very tempting!
Not calling the bumper fakey, I'm sure its strong as can be, albit massively heavy, it just looks like a bumper that should be on a mack truck hauling cattle. So on one point I really like the strength, but the onther hand it looks massively heavy and bulky. Now...if you could make that out of aluminum....

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #89032
BadgerOffRd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep - started out as a Road Armor but then I wanted to put more lights on it, and finally add the winch again - I used to have the 10" LED where the winch would have come out.

Redesigned it myself on CAD - had the altered parts cut out on the waterjet, then the old parts of the Road Armor removed with a plasma cutter and the new parts welded in. I also changed the design to raise the side pods to flow with the Highline fenders better.

Nice jeep! What headlights are those on the bottom picture?
BadgerOffRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #89033
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboelts View Post
Not calling the bumper fakey, I'm sure its strong as can be, albit massively heavy, it just looks like a bumper that should be on a mack truck hauling cattle. So on one point I really like the strength, but the onther hand it looks massively heavy and bulky. Now...if you could make that out of aluminum....
It's actually not that bad... The back is open - the front has lots of openings for the lights and grill design... It's never going to be considered light - but I would say compared to some of the 2x4 solid closed beam bumper designs - you might be surprised how close it can be...

I'm happy with how it gets me the winch, amber LED Rigid bars, Daytime Running Lights, Fog Lights and Driving Lights, and a front plate while still having a good approach angle and keeping the radiator unobstructed, and not having to move / remove the plate to access the winch...
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #89034
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks
I really like how you dealt with the line on the body tub that doesn't line up with high lines; yours looks much more like a factory installation.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #89035
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerOffRd View Post
JW Speaker 8700's. His are modded Harley lights but they make drop in TJ/JK headlights. Cost a small fortune though.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #89036
thedaringmove
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC
I picked up a cage for $200. If its tweaked I feel that it would have a major weak point. I've been upside down too and after seeing how bad my roll cage was I wouldn't chance jerry riggin it. That's your life your talking about Live Free, Brad
It will just be a temporary fix. Not terribly worried about it. Next summer when I'm working again I'll pick up a used cage for replacement and use my welding skills to bad *** it out.
thedaringmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #89037
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerOffRd View Post
JW Speaker 7" LED headlight.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_802X_PG.htm

Mine are actually the Harley Davidson branded one (manufactured by JW Speaker) as that's what's available locally - and they're a bit bigger on the back side and the lenses are positioned very slightly differently. A lot of cutting is required to install the Harley ones and your state inspections may have an issue with them saying "MOTORCYCLE" on the lens. Definitely get the JW Speaker branded ones if you can get your hands on them as both those issues are solved.

My problem was the only shop selling the JW Speaker ones here had them with the black reflector and refused to order the chrome ones for me saying "everybody wants black" - "Really? Because I'm the only one standing here right now with cash in my hand to buy a set and I want them chrome, so they look like headlights." Customer Service Fail.

Harley version:

JW Speaker Version:

JW Speaker Black Version that I didn't want...

Lower profile back fins make the JW Speaker one easier to install too.

Unread 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #89038
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I really like how you dealt with the line on the body tub that doesn't line up with high lines; yours looks much more like a factory installation.

Sent by a messenger bird
Yep - we also slightly thickened up the line at the base of the windshield that used to go into the hood and now goes into the top of the fender. On the TJ tub that actually tapers in slightly while the fenders are straight so you get a slight step. Don't know exactly how they did it because there was a slight language barrier at the time - this time an American friend is doing all the fabrication body and paint work so it makes things easier. When we strip down the old paint maybe we'll see what they did

Also there is a seam where the top edge of the Highline Fender meets the formed front section that has the turn signal - this was also filled in. AEV recommends this step - we went ahead with all the others on our own initiative
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #89039
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
JW Speaker 8700's. His are modded Harley lights but they make drop in TJ/JK headlights. Cost a small fortune though.
Worth it though
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #89040
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Worth it though
No argument here. They're on my very long to-buy list.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.