What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 5933 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #88981
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcobosco View Post
What's a Brute project
This is half way through one - my TJ as of today

The new back panels are in place - stock cage and the windshield re-installed along with the doors to make sure the gaps are all good. Tomorrow everything should start getting welded up.

And a big update - the bed set in place to get the body mounts welded on to the frame.

Sharp eyes will note that the line running down the bed and the line on the doors doesn't quite match at this stage - there are no bushings in the rear of the cab or the front of the bed hence the slight banana look When it's done it will of course be straight as an arrow.

The Brute kit is by AEV - American Expedition Vehicles - and stretches the Jeep by 24" between the wheels and 16.5" behind the wheels - makes it a single-cab pick-up with a 5'8" bed. It comes with a new hard top - which you can kinda see in off white leaning against the back wall for now.

A completed one looks something like this:

Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #88982
stockerokie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw

Your alignment, it should be off, I can help you reset it until you get new TR and/or help you put on new TR, if you are not familiar. The V8 ZJ rod should be great on the cheap unless you are looking to blow out the $ on Currie Currectlync, which I'm sure Jason can attest is the best you can get.

Rest of you peanut gallery, all pics tomorrow, promse.

On topic: I also wheeled. New place hadn't been to before...much more challenges than expected. Baby Jeep took quite a spanking on the backside and belly. A little afraid to have a inspection upon unpacking tomorrow
I ordered the moog zj tie rod from rockauto. Ill give you a shout when it comes in.
stockerokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #88983
Ajcobosco
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep

This is half way through one - my TJ as of today

The new back panels are in place - stock cage and the windshield re-installed along with the doors to make sure the gaps are all good. Tomorrow everything should start getting welded up.

And a big update - the bed set in place to get the body mounts welded on to the frame.

Sharp eyes will note that the line running down the bed and the line on the doors doesn't quite match at this stage - there are no bushings in the rear of the cab or the front of the bed hence the slight banana look When it's done it will of course be straight as an arrow.

The Brute kit is by AEV - American Expedition Vehicles - and stretches the Jeep by 24" between the wheels and 16.5" behind the wheels - makes it a single-cab pick-up with a 5'8" bed. It comes with a new hard top - which you can kinda see in off white leaning against the back wall for now.

A completed one looks something like this:
This looks amazing
Ajcobosco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #88984
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockerokie View Post

I ordered the moog zj tie rod from rockauto. Ill give you a shout when it comes in.
Right on, I assume you got the rod, the end, and the adjuster sleeve? Cant recall if R/A sells as a kit or separate. Easy job, would love to help.
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #88985
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

that brewtz conversion looks pretty badass

Here is for the doubters among us, you know who you are

Genright Stealth lights and Windstar cowl mod.
lightsoff.jpg

lightson.jpg

cowl.jpg

SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #88986
stockerokie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw

Right on, I assume you got the rod, the end, and the adjuster sleeve? Cant recall if R/A sells as a kit or separate. Easy job, would love to help.
Thanks to stu's site I ordered off his part numbers. Otherwise I probably would have ordered a trackbar. Jeez sometimes I'm slow! :0
stockerokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #88987
iiTMRii
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is half way through one - my TJ as of today The new back panels are in place - stock cage and the windshield re-installed along with the doors to make sure the gaps are all good. Tomorrow everything should start getting welded up. And a big update - the bed set in place to get the body mounts welded on to the frame. Sharp eyes will note that the line running down the bed and the line on the doors doesn't quite match at this stage - there are no bushings in the rear of the cab or the front of the bed hence the slight banana look When it's done it will of course be straight as an arrow. The Brute kit is by AEV - American Expedition Vehicles - and stretches the Jeep by 24" between the wheels and 16.5" behind the wheels - makes it a single-cab pick-up with a 5'8" bed. It comes with a new hard top - which you can kinda see in off white leaning against the back wall for now. A completed one looks something like this:
How much money do you have in it excluding the TJ to start with?
iiTMRii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #88988
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTMRii View Post
How much money do you have in it excluding the TJ to start with?
Before answering this I really hope it doesn't sound like bragging - trying to keep it educational.

We're going WAY overkill with this project... so do not use mine as an example of "what does it cost to get a Brute done". I really want to challenge the idea that "Jeeps are uncomfortable" and make one that I can comfortably drive on a 3,000 km on / off road trip.

For example, the end result is going to include MetalCloak 6-pak suspension, custom made long arms, King bump stops, GenRight fuel tanks, Macs Tie Down tracks, Electronic Hand Throttle, Electric Mirrors, Electric tonnau cover, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Electric sliding rear window borrowed from a Ranger, Recaro seats, high-end heat and sound insulation, Carbon Fibre Roof top tent, custom cargo rack, awnings, you name it. Also - we're doing all this to a 0-miles brand new chassis from spare parts as my old one has seen better days.

The goal:

The Brute conversion alone will set you back $9k + maybe $1k shipping and whatever your bodyshop will charge. If your resulting Brute is in all other ways identical to your donor Jeep - you won't be spending that much really.

So far though, I'm at $34k and still going. There's another $5k in parts I've yet to order and a lot more labour still to go, and of course paint. And that doesn't include the small fortune I've spent on it getting it to this stage when we started:

This is my 12th year with this Jeep though... it's taken a long time to get it to this stage. I don't ever plan to part with it so resale isn't a concern

I think "how much does a Brute cost" isn't an easy question to answer... it's more like start at maybe $12-14k and from then on - "how much do you want to spend" - there's just so many things that fall into the "if we're going to do it, might as well do it now category" that it really can snowball out of control. The sky is the limit.

It's crazy to think that all this is still with the stock motor and stock axles and relatively normal wheels. Future engine swap / Dana 44 / Dana 60 swap, Hutchinson beadlock wheels, AiRock air suspension - it never ends!

Just Empty Every Pocket.
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #88989
iiTMRii
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Before answering this I really hope it doesn't sound like bragging - trying to keep it educational. We're going WAY overkill with this project... so do not use mine as an example of "what does it cost to get a Brute done". I really want to challenge the idea that "Jeeps are uncomfortable" and make one that I can comfortably drive on a 3,000 km on / off road trip. For example, the end result is going to include MetalCloak 6-pak suspension, custom made long arms, King bump stops, GenRight fuel tanks, Macs Tie Down tracks, Electronic Hand Throttle, Electric Mirrors, Electric tonnau cover, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Electric sliding rear window borrowed from a Ranger, Recaro seats, high-end heat and sound insulation, Carbon Fibre Roof top tent, custom cargo rack, awnings, you name it. Also - we're doing all this to a 0-miles brand new chassis from spare parts as my old one has seen better days. The goal: The Brute conversion alone will set you back $9k + maybe $1k shipping and whatever your bodyshop will charge. If your resulting Brute is in all other ways identical to your donor Jeep - you won't be spending that much really. So far though, I'm at $34k and still going. There's another $5k in parts I've yet to order and a lot more labour still to go, and of course paint. And that doesn't include the small fortune I've spent on it getting it to this stage when we started: This is my 12th year with this Jeep though... it's taken a long time to get it to this stage. I don't ever plan to part with it so resale isn't a concern I think "how much does a Brute cost" isn't an easy question to answer... it's more like start at maybe $12-14k and from then on - "how much do you want to spend" - there's just so many things that fall into the "if we're going to do it, might as well do it now category" that it really can snowball out of control. The sky is the limit. It's crazy to think that all this is still with the stock motor and stock axles and relatively normal wheels. Future engine swap / Dana 44 / Dana 60 swap, Hutchinson beadlock wheels, AiRock air suspension - it never ends! Just Empty Every Pocket.
In no way do you sound like you are bragging. I have a pretty built TJ and just wanted to see what it would cost to convert, but I would want a V8 of some sort if I ever went through with it.
Bad *** jeep man can't wait to see it finished!
iiTMRii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #88990
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTMRii View Post
In no way do you sound like you are bragging. I have a pretty built TJ and just wanted to see what it would cost to convert, but I would want a V8 of some sort if I ever went through with it.
Bad *** jeep man can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks

Yeah a V8 would be awesome but I want to do that at the same time, or shortly after upgrading the axles - so saving that for another year
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #88991
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
This is my 12th year with this Jeep though... it's taken a long time to get it to this stage. I don't ever plan to part with it so resale isn't a concern
I like the way you think, Oman. I agree!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #88992
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Got a new windshield. I can see clearly now!
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #88993
Ajcobosco
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want to build a brute now!
Ajcobosco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #88994
Navydoc1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

If it's from a Rubicon it has 4.10 gears...

Which would match if your profile is up to date.
Guess I need to update my profile, I'm running 4.56 gears right now
Navydoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #88995
Mr_Speakeasy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got my mml from Brown Dog today, gonna install the Savvy bl and this mml first thing tomorrow!
Mr_Speakeasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.