Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#118,561 · (Edited)
i'm looking at rockjock, along with their motor mounts.
WAY overpriced on the BL and if your stock motor mount rubber bushings are still good, a waste of money.

#118,563 ·
fighting with my soft top for 3 days to get the dam thing on. been off 7 months. the idiots that design these should be made to put them on in a rain storm. yes i put it out in the sun, but its only been 50 here the last week.
I knew right away when I removed mine it would never be re-installed lol...

#118,564 ·
fighting with my soft top for 3 days to get the dam thing on. been off 7 months. the idiots that design these should be made to put them on in a rain storm. yes i put it out in the sun, but its only been 50 here the last week.
You need more practice. I put a brand new soft top on when it was in the upper 40s and windy.

Reactions: Phreaq
#118,565 ·
You need more practice. I put a brand new soft top on when it was in the upper 40s and windy.
i think mine is some bastardized affair besides. the frame has snaps on the center cross bar and the top has velcro. i don't think i have the front of it in the front bow correct yet either. doesn't look quit right. maybe nest summer i'll build my own like i did for the 8. but is i do that then my girlfriend is going to bug me to weld on 2 more cylinders

#118,566 ·
I got motivated to get my TJ under carriage cleaned and painted before spring . Just did the middle today I’m about 2/3 done. Next I need to pull each wheel and do the corners to finish up.

Attachments

Reactions: TheBoogieman
#118,567 ·
Got sick and tired of AAMCO endlessly screwing around with an electrical problem they created while "repairing" my transmission - it's been almost a year, and multiple mechanics in three states have been unable to figure it out - got under there with a meter and a schematic scrounged from here, and had it fixed in half an hour.

Fun discovery: the way they had miswired it, if the "reverse" bulbs in my taillights blew out, I wouldn't have been able to start the truck. Troubleshooting THAT would have made somebody's year...

Yeah, feeling pretty damn proud of myself. But also a little pissed that I didn't do it before.

#118,571 ·
Decided to move the hi-lift from the bed to the fender. Got a Bolt j-mount for pass side. Went pretty easy, and the mount is sturdy enough to use the jack to rock the jeep side to side.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

The magnetic antenna is for my work radio, it's not there if I'm not working.

Decided to change the plugs today. Bosch double iridiums got the nod, and after I finished up and cranked it, she fired right up, and ran smoother than the old plugs did. The gaps were huge on the old ones. Getting ready to head into the great white north shortly, so I decided to winterize my south Florida jeep. Oil and filter change, and decided to change the belt as well. Checking the pullies after the belt was pulled revealed the idler was sounding "crunchy" and the tensioner was tight. Pulled them both, but the big lug on the back of the tensioner was "welded" into the alternator bracket, and snapped off when I removed the tensioner from the bracket.

Helmet Automotive tire Wood Finger Auto part

Fire wouldn't loosen the broken off tit, so I had to drill it out. New one got slathered with anti-seize on the back, so it wouldn't happen again. So, new pullies, tensioner, belt, oil and filter, plugs today. Cranked her again, and she was so smooth and quiet, it was really a huge difference. Tomorrow is rad flush, and replace coolant. Replaced washer fluid with de-icer fluid. Snagged a couple of king size fleece blankets from chinamart. Going to cut them to fit the inside of the soft top from the windshield to the floor at the tailgate, and the side windows too. Should keep it warm, and quiet for the road trip, and time spent in frozen hell.

#118,572 ·
Hood Building Automotive tire Grille Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tree Mode of transport

fleece lined interior. looked all summer for a used hardtop in the area, but couldn't find one. 20 bucks at chinamart solved the issue. maybe. going out for a highway run shortly, to see if the road noise has cut down at all.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport Automotive exterior

pics are pre-cut and fit with zipties. if i had a hardtop i'd just insulate it, then carpet it. sold the original when i was in oregon, and had got the bestop halftop to run.

#118,573 ·
Idle RPM seemed high leaving work. No MIL but decided to scan for codes with my ScanguageII. P0443 and P0138 came up. Rear O2 sensor was unplugged and connector was melted a bit. Must have not connected it up last time I had the exhaust off. Checked purge solenoid which ohmed out OK at 33Ω - spec is 30-40 it seems. Didn't hear or feel it click when 12V was applied across terminals though. Ordered new O2 and solenoid from Rockauto.

#118,576 ·
Most are 1.25". Black Magic Brakes makes an excellent quality and looking BL. I recently replaced my Zone Offroad one with a BM.

View attachment 4232138
Those look nice with the larger diameter.

If I ever get around to changing my lift I was thinking about cutting my body lift in half. I'll have to look into These Black Magic "pucks" should I decide to spend more money.

What I did to my jeep:
Took take off JK headlights, put in amazon LEDs, bought adapter harness, cause I was being lazy. (I still think I will splice it in since the OE connectors are aged and wires are loosing insulation.) Hooked one up to check the difference. O_O
I'm old school and like the sealed beam glass ... but the light output from the LEDs again, wow. Still need to make some time to put them in and adjust.

#118,578 ·
took off the side steps from my old ramcharger, changed oil in both diffs, trans and transfer case. greased the core 4x4 control arms, and added some more fleece blankets on top of the bikini top and above the back behind the sound bar. (more for sound dampening than for heat. 22 hours of wind noise sucks @$$) :LOL:

#118,579 ·
Today I started looking online for a new battery. The Jeep’s battery finally died once and for all. This one lasted for over 5 years. I guess I can’t complain.

I’ll probably install new battery cables/terminals and organize the accessory wires better. It’s an ugly mess in there currently. :-/

#118,580 ·
Today I started looking online for a new battery. The Jeep’s battery finally died once and for all. This one lasted for over 5 years. I guess I can’t complain.

I’ll probably install new battery cables/terminals and organize the accessory wires better. It’s an ugly mess in there currently. :-/
The battery the PO put in mine lasted 8 years before I recently replaced it just because of the age. I bought another Walmart special. :cool: