Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#116,482 ·
The recent spark plug discussion reminded me I hadn't checked mine in the TJ in a while (I stubbornly still usually use plain copper core). Plugs appeared decent with normal wear, so I regapped and reinstalled them again, using a small dab of silicone grease in the boots so they come off just as easy next time around. All opened up about the same amount, the worst sitting right about .042" gap.

Since I had started messing around with the TJ anyway, figured this would be a good time to investigate a slight burning smell I'd get every so often when I kicked the fan on. Pulled the climate control panel out and gave it a good look over: besides being covered in a layer of dust, everything was good and tight with no evidence of melting or getting hot. Decided on a lark to pull the resistor block out, and well.... yeah... found the source. After evicting Mothra and the bit of foam then reassembling everything, no more burning smell. :tea:

Attachments

#116,484 ·
Installed new drive lines. The front (w/ new Atlas) had very little room between cardon and tub. I might hear or feel it on hard twists once in a while.

#116,486 ·
Maybe it's just the picture, but your pinion angle looks way high.
Yes, I took the pic before I adjusted the upper control arms shorter. It took more than I thought to get what you see to a correct/straight angle.

Good eye!!
WSS

#116,488 ·
Time to catch up:

A few weeks ago, changed all 4 brakes to pass inspection. While in there, replaced unit bearings, replaced one side's ball joints (also to pass inspection), and replaced front axle shafts with Grand Cherokee CV shafts (I know they're not as strong, but they were pretty much the same price as new u-joints, and they make sense with my 99+% daily driver usage).

Today, started the radiator and water pump replacement.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

What happened: Saturday I had flushed the coolant and replaced the weak radiator cap. Wednesday I drove it for the first time to take my son to school, and when I got back I opened the hood to see if I could see any leaks (smelled faint whiffs of coolant). Within a few seconds, there was a loud bang, followed by a wall of boiling water arcing over the engine to the hood. Seems the top plastic piece decided to split. After everything cooled down, I noticed the water pump was leaking about a drop every 2-3 seconds.

Lasted at least 140K miles, I'm satisfied.

#116,499 ·
Just replaced the spark plugs in the 06 LJ. It has 126k miles on it.

I installed Autolite XP985 iridium plugs. If all goes as planned, I'll not have to replace them again.
You might, but it will have 350,000 miles on it.:)

Reactions: gsindela