New to all this, spent my first real day with my new (to me) 2002 TJ Sport:
- Took the hard top off and took my kids for a ride around the neighborhood. They are now believers!
- Had the check engine light come on. Crap. Was going to spring ~$100 for a code reader but this place saved the day with the on-off-on-off-on trick. It's just a P0138 (O2 sensor voltage), whew. Rolled underneath it and the O2 sensors on the front are pretty easy to get to (and I think P0138 points to one of the lower ones, will confirm before replacing it myself later).
- Took out the rear seat and center console and gave everything a good shop vac and clean.
- Started working on the surface rust. There's no carpet, so I can see the tub is great inside, but has some minor surface rust spots in the foot areas around the rear interior. I've also got a fair amount of rust spots on the outside. My plan is to sand, use paint/rust remover wheel, then rust primer and finally match the PS2 "bright silver" it seems to have from the factory (can't find the paint label sticker anywhere though). If I'm doing something stupid here or missing a step, please let me know.
- Noticed the front right is sitting about 1-2 inches higher than the left, I can see it when looking at the TJ head on. Is this an adjustment issue? Not much experience with suspension, may take some pics and add them tomorrow.
My god those hard tops are heavy. And how I wish the last owner(s) had used anti-seize on some of the bolts. Sheered all 3 remaining back seat bolts in half removing them, even after they sat in PB blaster for an hour. Gonna have to look up how to drill them out.