Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#109,224 ·
I suspect it is all or nothing. I locked my keys inside once with the doors and hardtop on. The locksmith had a terrible time getting in. Fully clothed they seem very secure short of breaking your way in.

The next day I had a spare cut and hid it in a secret spot.
Been there, a screwdriver or other flat object between the rear window and tailgate will pop it open in about 15 seconds. I did it with a Leatherman.

#109,225 ·
Mostly interior stuff:

mounted a 300w 110v (with 2x 2.1a USB) inverter tied to the battery for interior stuff
wired a small solar charger to an 18,000mAh 600A battery that is mounted inside an ammo can under the hood that can jump my Jeep or be removed to jump another vehicle. Tested it last week, works like a champ.
Mounted a hair tie and a Velcro loop so my hockey sticks can be carried out of the way =)

#109,230 ·
I got the front part of the Iron Rock 6" lift 99% complete. I love that there's no passenger side upper arm. 3-link lifts kick ***. The springs and disconnects are vertical, but they don't look like it in the picture for some reason. Everything is good. Will get started on the rear tomorrow. It's triangulated 4-link.

Attachments

#109,235 ·
Locked my keys in it just unzipped a window and got in, not sure what I'm even locking it for with the soft top on
Slows down or detours a thief of convenience. Not much will stop a pro but if it's just some jerk walking past pulling on door handles, if it's locked they move on, doesn't occur to many of them to unzip a window or even if it does it'd would attract a lot more attention from onlookers and they're more likely to just move on unless you have something super-tempting in plain view.

Same reason we remove the rod between the inside LOCK/UNLOCK lever and the actual lock mechanism on half-doors. Then when half doors are on (and no top) people can't just reach inside and press UNLOCK, they actually have to have a key to unlock and open the half-door (of course you have to use a key to lock it as well) but that keeps people from being able to steal your half-doors and even though they can still reach or climb over them to get to things inside, that's likely to draw a lot more attention from on-lookers than if they just reached in, unlocked the door, and climbed in pretending they owned the Jeep while rummaging through anything you have inside. If they reach in and press the UNLOCK lever and the door remains locked, many "thieves of convenience/opportunity" will simply move on, they don't want to be reaching for things over the top of a half-door, or climbing up and over one. Especially if the Jeep is lifted and you didn't leave something "tempting" in plain view.

~

#109,236 ·
willis36 said:
So those cubes are on with your low beams, like all the time? I hate to say it, but that's a real dick move, your going to blind the crap out of people.:frown2:
Yes. They are. And no it's not a dick move. I have the aligned so that they don't blind other people. Definitely less of a dick move than people that retrofit HIDs to their vehicle that aren't aligned in any whatsoever.

#109,237 ·
So those cubes are on with your low beams, like all the time? I hate to say it, but that's a real dick move, your going to blind the crap out of people.:frown2:
No more than driving lights that have to be wired into the low beams and shut off when the high beams come on (here in Va.)

#109,238 ·
No more than driving lights that have to be wired into the low beams and shut off when the high beams come on (here in Va.)
Really? That's interesting to know. Glad I just wired them up that way coincidentally.

What did I do to my TJ [this month]?

I've been doing craploads to the TJ... Completely rewired the accessory electrical by installing a PDM from a 97 Cherokee (6 relay spots!). The extra fuse blocks and wires were driving me insane; this is so much cleaner.

Then I gutted the interior (and audio system) for Raptor lining. Currently installing two "900w" 4 channel amps and a pre-amp in a hide-a-trunk I DIY'd. Waiting on the right RCA cables to finish that...

Today as soon as I get home and say hello to the wifey, I'll be finishing up a rear seat sub-box (Thanks SirGCal for the plans!) and hopefully get that put in with a 10" Kicker.

Coming soon - a double DIN install of a cheap-o Chinese android head unit. I should probably add some sort of alarm with all these goodies on the interior, but at least this will be the extent of the interior work I want to do.

#109,239 ·
Really? That's interesting to know. Glad I just wired them up that way coincidentally.

What did I do to my TJ [this month]?

I've been doing craploads to the TJ... Completely rewired the accessory electrical by installing a PDM from a 97 Cherokee (6 relay spots!). The extra fuse blocks and wires were driving me insane; this is so much cleaner.

Then I gutted the interior (and audio system) for Raptor lining. Currently installing two "900w" 4 channel amps and a pre-amp in a hide-a-trunk I DIY'd. Waiting on the right RCA cables to finish that...

Today as soon as I get home and say hello to the wifey, I'll be finishing up a rear seat sub-box (Thanks SirGCal for the plans!) and hopefully get that put in with a 10" Kicker.

Coming soon - a double DIN install of a cheap-o Chinese android head unit. I should probably add some sort of alarm with all these goodies on the interior, but at least this will be the extent of the interior work I want to do.
Post pics when you're done.

#109,240 ·
Federal lighting regulations require no more than 2 sets (4 lights) on at the same time not including marker lights or turn signals. (blanking on the exact wording). This isn't just a VA thing but some states check others don't.

This is the real reason why fogs turn off when you flip your high beams on in many vehicles.

On one of my vehicles it has the lights that come on in the corner during low speed turns, with the fog lights on they are disabled on North American region vehicles. But you can program the module for rest of world :shhh: