What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 4987 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #74791
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes! Just waiting on the 30's install kit

forumrunner_20120928_144903.jpg

Unread 09-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #74792
Ron2003x
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Put carpet on the trunk I made Sunday afternoon. Turned out ok

image-3347995497.jpg
Ron2003x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #74793
yabo71
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty HAPPY

Well the last couple of weeks my Jeep has been sounding more and more like a Diesel... With a new Tick.... I feared Cracked Manifold even though its a 2 pc, Piston Slap, Or just getting tired and needing some major work (165000 Miles)

Well I decided to take a couple oz of seafoam and run it through the Brake Booster Vacuum Line and see if smoke would poor out the a potential crackin the manifold... And oh WOWWWWW did it. Engine compartment was full of white smoke within seconds.. That told me the it a maifold/exhaust issue... I just need to find it... Well after inspecting it the best I could I found nothing wrong... UNTIL I bumped the rear Flange.... It was So loose it almost wasn't bolted together... 10 Minutes later snug as a bug..... SWEET... Sounds like it should and took care of the ticking and Dieseling sounds.....
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #74794
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabo71
Well the last couple of weeks my Jeep has been sounding more and more like a Diesel... With a new Tick.... I feared Cracked Manifold even though its a 2 pc, Piston Slap, Or just getting tired and needing some major work (165000 Miles)

Well I decided to take a couple oz of seafoam and run it through the Brake Booster Vacuum Line and see if smoke would poor out the a potential crackin the manifold... And oh WOWWWWW did it. Engine compartment was full of white smoke within seconds.. That told me the it a maifold/exhaust issue... I just need to find it... Well after inspecting it the best I could I found nothing wrong... UNTIL I bumped the rear Flange.... It was So loose it almost wasn't bolted together... 10 Minutes later snug as a bug..... SWEET... Sounds like it should and took care of the ticking and Dieseling sounds.....
That's a great find. Mine has sounded like a diesel for years. Maybe this is my problem, rather than a piston slap or lifter.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #74795
XxJeepOrDiexX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Worked 3 hrs on the jeep and got 2 of the 7 u-joints changed. Rear driveshaft is done but I still have to do front driveshaft. I was also going to go ahead and change front axles joints, but they don't look bad at all and are not loose, so I'll wait on those. It took so long because we had to get skid plate off, take driveshaft off, and after using press to break the joints loose, we still had to cut with torch to get joints all the way out of driveshaft. Is there a better way to do this? Most people I've read about and the videos I watch either use torch or grin an angle on the cap then wedge it out.
XxJeepOrDiexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #74796
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Received my 4l60e transmission to transfercase adapter from Advance Adapters and new aluminum conversion radiator for my 5.3 Vortec swap. Now just waiting for my motor mounts from Advance Adapters ship, then the fun begins.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #74797
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJeepOrDiexX View Post
Worked 3 hrs on the jeep and got 2 of the 7 u-joints changed. Rear driveshaft is done but I still have to do front driveshaft. I was also going to go ahead and change front axles joints, but they don't look bad at all and are not loose, so I'll wait on those. It took so long because we had to get skid plate off, take driveshaft off, and after using press to break the joints loose, we still had to cut with torch to get joints all the way out of driveshaft. Is there a better way to do this? Most people I've read about and the videos I watch either use torch or grin an angle on the cap then wedge it out.
With mine I used a u joint press. I rented it from an auto parts store for $200 (then when it was returned, got my whole $200 back! ) I tried it without the press and it was next to impossible. Even with the press though, I happened to bend the ear on one of my axle shafts (I did bend it back with a spring compressor set backwards).

Why did you need the skid plate off though to take off the rear shaft? Ive done it like 3 or 4 times, and not once was the skid plate in the way.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #74798
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally installed my PSC trail corners and began installation of flush mount tail lights... I hate these short days of fall >
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #74799
XxJeepOrDiexX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo

With mine I used a u joint press. I rented it from an auto parts store for $200 (then when it was returned, got my whole $200 back! ) I tried it without the press and it was next to impossible. Even with the press though, I happened to bend the ear on one of my axle shafts (I did bend it back with a spring compressor set backwards).

Why did you need the skid plate off though to take off the rear shaft? Ive done it like 3 or 4 times, and not once was the skid plate in the way.
I went ahead and removed the skid plate because tomorrow I have to replace u-joints on front driveshaft, plus if I have time and can get the chain, I'm going to replace the transfer case chain, so skid plate would have been in the way. Glad I did drop the skid though, it was full of dried mud, I'm going to sand and repaint before I put it back on
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #74800
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJeepOrDiexX View Post
I went ahead and removed the skid plate because tomorrow I have to replace u-joints on front driveshaft, plus if I have time and can get the chain, I'm going to replace the transfer case chain, so skid plate would have been in the way. Glad I did drop the skid though, it was full of dried mud, I'm going to sand and repaint before I put it back on
Ah, makes sense. Just so you know, though, you can take off the front shaft without removing the skid. Its kind of a pain, but easier than dropping the skid, IMO.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #74801
XxJeepOrDiexX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo

Ah, makes sense. Just so you know, though, you can take off the front shaft without removing the skid. Its kind of a pain, but easier than dropping the skid, IMO.
Nice to know, and if I wasn't working on t-case I probably wouldn't have removed the skid...broke off one of the little bolts tying the t-case into the skid plate...I hate rust
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #74802
ivester1992
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got a stock air box to replace a cheapo short ram that came with it. Very glad to have a proper set up
Unread 09-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #74803
Mortalis5509
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Learned I twisted the rear pinion splines and bent a rim. o, yeah someone put my retaining plate on backwards for the rear shaft and I didn't pay attention to it when i installed it causeing it the spray diff fluid and toast a bearing.
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #74804
PacificNWJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New Stretch tank

jeep3.jpg   jeep2.jpg   jeep1.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #74805
RedwoodRubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsteKuste
There's one on Fleabay right now. Any model from a '46 to a '71 should be the same I think. Walcks specializes in Willys parts and has a repop for $60.
Thanks!

OT: Stayed up late to finish PSC hood louvre. Up too early to start the fun all over again working on the lawn mower... Priorities!
image-3872587157.jpg  
RedwoodRubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.