Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#99,126 ·
Thank you to deogsxr for selling me a monstaliner jeep kit!!! A fellow jeeper here on the forum had advertised the kit, that he did not get the opportunity to use, in the classified section and I was able to take advantage of the lower than retail price. A fellow army vet too!!! So today I sent him the money and he shipped it to me. It should be here Friday or so.

Now if I could just get the guy I gave money to, to ship the clip and bolts he sold me over the forum here.

#99,127 ·
I used a relay to power my lights and on the control side I used 2 diodes from radio shack so they come on when I go in reverse and I can turn them on manualy.
Without looking at your link, I guess you mean run a wire from the reverse lights and the switch with a diode in series with both and then tie them into the toggle for the relay so that I don't energize the reverse lights from the switch. Makes sense, now I guess I'll scoot on over and do some reading. Thanks

#99,128 ·
I'm considering the Morimoto 5LED bar - http://www.theretrofitsource.com/of...oto-x-bar-10-off-road-light.html#.U-Jbhu_mLCQ

Or RyDel Fab's 6LED bar - https://www.rydelfab.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

I'm really torn between the two, but right now I'm leaning towards RyDel Fab's lights. The advantage to the Morimoto is that they are backed by a larger company in case I ever need to get them warrantied. It's a hard choice. What would you guys recommend?
That's a lot of money for a few LEDs! I'm sure either will do great, saying price tag suggests quality! Are they competitors with rigid?

#99,129 ·
Without looking at your link, I guess you mean run a wire from the reverse lights and the switch with a diode in series with both and then tie them into the toggle for the relay so that I don't energize the reverse lights from the switch. Makes sense, now I guess I'll scoot on over and do some reading. Thanks
I taped into the reverse light behind the dash. The diodes go in the control to the relay with one hooked to the reverse and the other to the switch. If you want I could send you the diagram

#99,131 ·
It shouldn't matter what the underlaying material is if there's a good base of paint.
It's not adhesion I was questioning. Seems to me if you kiss a tree or something else with the flare it'd crack the clearcoat. I've knocked mine against many trees and it hasn't harmed the Fusion in the slightest. I don't know why you'd even want to clear over matte black Fusion on a flare.

#99,132 ·
New front and rear shocks for my '05. The fronts weren't bad. Busted my knuckles snapping the top studs off because, well, **** trying to spin those nuts off. The rears though.........
Whoever the sonova***** was that designed and engineered that configuration for the top rear shock mounts is a sadistic bastard and I want him dead. I want him dead. I want his family dead. His dog, his 2nd grade homeroom teacher, dead! I want his house burnt to the ground and I want to go there in the middle of the night to piss on his ashes.

OK, I'm better now. At least I didn't break the bolts. PB Blaster works really well. Next up: Sway bar ends. The clunk has to go.

#99,133 ·
PBRJeepgang said:
New front and rear shocks for my '05. The fronts weren't bad. Busted my knuckles snapping the top studs off because, well, **** trying to spin those nuts off. The rears though......... Whoever the sonova***** was that designed and engineered that configuration for the top rear shock mounts is a sadistic bastard and I want him dead. I want him dead. I want his family dead. His dog, his 2nd grade homeroom teacher, dead! I want his house burnt to the ground and I want to go there in the middle of the night to piss on his ashes. OK, I'm better now. At least I didn't break the bolts. PB Blaster works really well. Next up: Sway bar ends. The clunk has to go.
I'm guessing you're slightly angered.. Haha hope you put anti seize on the bolts to make it a little easier next time.

#99,134 ·
Did a couple of things:

-Changed the oil to Mobil 1 HM 10w30 Synthetic and a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter. Runs excellent now, hopefully it'll work better than the VR1 oil I had in it before, which doesn't last very long in the 4.0 from my experience.

-Added a hidden power outlet behind the glove box. I made a little bracket to bolt it to an existing bolt on the body, screwed the power outlet to the bracket then secured it with a small hose clamp, and then used an "add a fuse" tap to tap into the existing cigarette lighter fuse in the fuse block behind the glove box.

The reason I did this is because I run a dash cam in my TJ 24/7, mainly due to the bad driving and insurance (or lack thereof) scams in Philly. I've had one installed for about year but I had to snake the plug/wiring behind the radio and use the existing cigarette lighter outlet, which was annoying as I often knocked the plug out. Now the wiring is all hidden and eventually I'll get a rear-view mirror mount for the camera so it's hidden a bit better out of plain sight.

#99,135 ·
I'm guessing you're slightly angered.. Haha hope you put anti seize on the bolts to make it a little easier next time.
Oh man, I was. Thermonuclear. I'll accept some blame for my lack of anger management because of the time frame I tried to do it in but........wow. I think I'd rather replace a heater core than deal with that again. OK, maybe not.

And yea. Definitely used anti seize. I feel like I'm wiping it off of everything I touch every time I use it but it's always worth it down the line.