Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#99,101 ·
Got my 20" led light bar wired up in all of about 20 minutes while my fiance was getting ready for our date, of which she wanted to take the lj for. All I've gotta say is that per dollar spent on light output these are amazing. Ready to get a 50" on there now, but unfortunately it'll be a while. Anyways my 2×4" led pods came in today so now I've just gotta get my game plan ready for the wiring into the reverse lights. Suppose I'll just run a 5 pin relay with the reverse light signal being the toggle since both are 18 watt lights and that seems high to be using the stock circuit... another option is a 3way switch ... I've got some time to think about it.

#99,105 ·
Anyways my 2×4" led pods came in today so now I've just gotta get my game plan ready for the wiring into the reverse lights. Suppose I'll just run a 5 pin relay with the reverse light signal being the toggle since both are 18 watt lights and that seems high to be using the stock circuit... another option is a 3way switch ... I've got some time to think about it.
Not LED's but this link is to the instructions to the PIAA 1500 lights that I have. It has a diagram for install with a 3-way switch into the reverse lights.

http://www.piaa.com/Shared/instructions/1500 Backup.pdf

As for accessing the reverse light wiring, do you have a temp/compass mirror?

Even if you don't, your Jeep may be wired for it (mine is). There could be a wiring loom under the defrost grill on the top of your dash. The end of the loom should be resting just above the glove box and have a white connector at the end facing the passenger A pillar.

IIRC it is the green wire/white tracer or vice versa.

That wiring loom runs down into the dash behind the stereo over to below the steering wheel.

Just behind the stereo is where I tapped the reverse wire for the switch that is mounted on the panel to the right of the rear wiper, defrost, locker switches.

#99,106 ·
Got my 20" led light bar wired up in all of about 20 minutes while my fiance was getting ready for our date, of which she wanted to take the lj for. All I've gotta say is that per dollar spent on light output these are amazing. Ready to get a 50" on there now, but unfortunately it'll be a while. Anyways my 2×4" led pods came in today so now I've just gotta get my game plan ready for the wiring into the reverse lights. Suppose I'll just run a 5 pin relay with the reverse light signal being the toggle since both are 18 watt lights and that seems high to be using the stock circuit... another option is a 3way switch ... I've got some time to think about it.
where did you buy your LEDs from?

#99,107 ·
Pics. :nono:

#99,109 ·
I used a relay to power my lights and on the control side I used 2 diodes from radio shack so they come on when I go in reverse and I can turn them on manualy.

#99,112 ·
#99,114 ·
Attempted to paint my fender flares yesterday and they didn't come out so great. The fronts are decent, the rears I am going to have to redo.
Maybe it was my prep?
Washed with soap and water, then rubbing alcohol, soap and water again, used a mr clean magic eraser on everything, rubbing alcohol, and then paint.
I did 5 light coats 15 min apart.

Any suggestions for next time? Should I do anything different now that they have fresh paint on them?

#99,115 ·
dougiefresh131 said:
Should I do anything different now that they have fresh paint on them?
I would we stand the existing pain it 36hrs or so to get it really smooth. Then re apply new paint over it. If you want to try and make it look professional you can lightly wet sand your final coat of paint to even it out, and then apply a clear coat over it.

#99,116 ·
Attempted to paint my fender flares yesterday and they didn't come out so great. The fronts are decent, the rears I am going to have to redo.
Maybe it was my prep?
Washed with soap and water, then rubbing alcohol, soap and water again, used a mr clean magic eraser on everything, rubbing alcohol, and then paint.
I did 5 light coats 15 min apart.

Any suggestions for next time? Should I do anything different now that they have fresh paint on them?
What paint did you use?

I did mine in the middle of winter in a cold garage (wood stove pipe rusted through and was down for repair) with a heat gun and still got a fantastic finish with Fusion.

#99,117 ·
I would we stand the existing pain it 36hrs or so to get it really smooth. Then re apply new paint over it. If you want to try and make it look professional you can lightly wet sand your final coat of paint to even it out, and then apply a clear coat over it.
On plastic flares? Something tells me a clear coat wouldn't do so hot there.

#99,119 ·
What paint did you use?

I did mine in the middle of winter in a cold garage (wood stove pipe rusted through and was down for repair) with a heat gun and still got a fantastic finish with Fusion.
I used Krylon Fusion - Satin Black.
I painted my fake plastic rocker guard with the same, and that came out great, but its likely a different type of plastic.