Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#98,421 ·
thanks, right on with my reading so far, though I didn't know about the Bosch sensor issues... drove it about 25 miles briskly around here, city and open road - no return of the MIL.
Don't automatically rule out the O2 sensors if the code doesn't come right back. They're notorious for sometimes being bad and only sporadically (or not at all) throwing codes. Mine will throw a code only a couple times a year but I have a pretty good feeling they've been out for the last couple years, or at least not doing well. Plan on replacing them today.

#98,422 ·
Did a bit more after some liquid encouragement lol. Removed the key cylinder from my old door that was damaged in the rollover and was going to put it in my new one but realized I shouldn't until Its painted. So that's ready whenever the paint happens. Then drilled out the broken screws from the door strap loop that snapped in strong winds and threw in some beefy self tapping screws to hold it. Gonna be nice to have a door that doesn't swing into the tub.

Now just waiting on my new tie rod coming in tomorrow.
And may go wheel him tonight around the neighborhood. Friends have been begging me to take them for a couple weeks now.

#98,423 ·
You haven't got it in correctly then. I have to re teach myself how to do it nearly every time (30 second lesson). Just make sure you've got it in the brackets correctly and try it again. I'll snap some pics for ya in a bit if you need them since I need to put mine back in before the mice call it home in the shop
I don't feel like dragging it back upstairs yet but I'm going to re-try sometime this week I think. I think you're right though as far as it not being installed correctly.

probably have the front pins in the holes on the brackets... I struggled with mine earlier this week... the rearward pins should be in the holes, the two front pins will rest in the notches in the front of the brackets... just put mine back in about 2 minutes ago.
Fairly certain you're exactly right as well. I think I did have the longer front pins going through the bracket. I don't remember ever struggling to put the seat back in, but it's been a LONG time! lol! Thanks guys!

#98,425 ·
You haven't got it in correctly then. I have to re teach myself how to do it nearly every time (30 second lesson). Just make sure you've got it in the brackets correctly and try it again. I'll snap some pics for ya in a bit if you need them since I need to put mine back in before the mice call it home in the shop
Your backseat mounts differently than his.

#98,429 ·
No you want an 8.8
^this.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
Hahahahaha!!!!! You might be right.

On topic..... I only drove it to town to my sisters house to say goodbye for her trip to Washington state. Then I put the top and doors back on for the rain coming in for the next couple of days. SUCK!!!!

#98,431 ·
No time like the present to stop lurking and start posting - actually had some time and space to spend with the Jeep which is a rarity for me so:

Changed the oil and spark plugs. Plugs were a PITA to get free, no idea how long they've been in there. Cracked the top of my dipstick off when one of them broke free, so yay for the unexpected fun. I'm amazed the old plugs fired at all they were so far gone. Anti-seize went on the new ones to help avoid this fun again in the future.

Bout it for the maintenance fun. Took out the carpet to dry after the rain we've had here, decided I like it better without, so it's staying out. Took off the bumper caps front and back, surprisingly out of all the bolts, only two were rusted solid and broke off, rest came out pretty easy. Also finally got around to a couple items that have been on hold for way too long - got my CB and antenna mounted and wired, and replaced my pod speakers with some Alpines I had intended to install in my last XJ.

#98,433 ·
Changed all 4 of my O2 sensors and my oil pressure sender (NTK and Mopar). All seems well, Jeep still runs and is now showing a reasonable oil pressure. I'm hoping the O2 sensors work out, last time I tried to replace them I found that the bank 1 sensors my Jeep came with weren't the ones listed as the correct part number for a 2000 Cali TJ. Thanks to Robbie13 I think I have it right. If mine is like his, I need 2000 Cali XJ sensors for bank 1 and 2000 Cali TJ sensors for bank 2. Everything seems to be running right with no codes once up to temp, so I'm crossing my fingers. Anyone know what would happen if I used the wrong sensors? Hopefully it would throw a code before it blew up lol.

#98,434 ·
Still not bedtime and needed the exercise so I removed my rear seat belts and all the brackets for the rear seat. All 4 bolts holding the bracket the seat hinges on snapped off in the floor lol. I thought for sure since I didn't care about them they'd come right out but I guess not. Now I'm torn because I really never plan on using the back seat again but it'll bug me knowing I half assed something if I don't fix it haha. Tuffy security deck enclosure in the (probably long term the way it's been going) works.

#98,439 ·