What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 4873 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #73081
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderopp View Post
I have a HEAVY MODIFIED winch on the front, a beefed up 8274. and it is my main self recovery or rescue winch.

the M6000 warn on the rear is for those Oh Sh.t moments. i looked at all winches, and decided on the short drum m6000 and here is why.

M6000 pulls
6.000 1 wrap
5.400 2
5.000 3
4 600 4

The M6000 short drum takes up little room, weighs 45.pounds and the little bugger is pretty fast at 10 ft per min full load pull. 50 ft of line is more then enough around the parts i wheel at for a self recovery. and i carry extensions for my main winch for those just incase times.

the M8000 at 50ft of line out pulls just over 6.000 and to get 8.000 you need to have all 100 ft of line less a few wraps to get that pull. and at max pull get around 8 ft per min with a 74 pound foot print. Over the many years i have been wheeling i bet 95 percent of my winch pulls i have used less then 50 ft of line and have only really used all the line when pulling with a snatch block.So most recoverys are using between 3,000 to 6.000 pounds of winching power.

I am not sure how much winching you have done, but i bet 90 plus percent is to the first anchour point you can get to. you may have a 8.000 pound winch but if your hooked to a rig or tree 40 ft out. your not getting 8.000 pull.

and if i am not ever happy with the m6000, a motor or gear change and it's upgraded.

most rear self recovery just needs a tug to get out of a hole you drop into or other some what nasty problem. when one changes ones mind on a line. Some times you just need small tug to get moving again.
Well if it works for you, then good for you. I can tell you that that 8274 is a hoss and can pull you across mountains, so I imagine that M6000 won't get much use anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #73082
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBDUB468 View Post
Dude your Jeep looks like a bad *** hunting/rescue/expidition vehicle. I wouldn't go that route with mine but you get all my respect. Nice ride!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Thanks, it's suits my needs just right! my DD and wheeler does more rescues and DD then wheeling these days, been so busy with work!
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #73083
wyattrhicks
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did the skid rust repairs today..came out good..and took care of other rust aswell
img_2012-08-26-16.59.33.569.jpg   img_2012-08-26-15.19.04.177.jpg   img_2012-08-26-16.59.54.116.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #73084
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderopp

I have a HEAVY MODIFIED winch on the front, a beefed up 8274. and it is my main self recovery or rescue winch.

the M6000 warn on the rear is for those Oh Sh.t moments. i looked at all winches, and decided on the short drum m6000 and here is why.

M6000 pulls
6.000 1 wrap
5.400 2
5.000 3
4 600 4

The M6000 short drum takes up little room, weighs 45.pounds and the little bugger is pretty fast at 10 ft per min full load pull. 50 ft of line is more then enough around the parts i wheel at for a self recovery. and i carry extensions for my main winch for those just incase times.

the M8000 at 50ft of line out pulls just over 6.000 and to get 8.000 you need to have all 100 ft of line less a few wraps to get that pull. and at max pull get around 8 ft per min with a 74 pound foot print. Over the many years i have been wheeling i bet 95 percent of my winch pulls i have used less then 50 ft of line and have only really used all the line when pulling with a snatch block.So most recoverys are using between 3,000 to 6.000 pounds of winching power.

I am not sure how much winching you have done, but i bet 90 plus percent is to the first anchour point you can get to. you may have a 8.000 pound winch but if your hooked to a rig or tree 40 ft out. your not getting 8.000 pull.

and if i am not ever happy with the m6000, a motor or gear change and it's upgraded.

most rear self recovery just needs a tug to get out of a hole you drop into or other some what nasty problem. when one changes ones mind on a line. Some times you just need small tug to get moving again.
Care to share the mods? Just picked up an 8274 myself

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #73085
thonyg523
1998 TJ Wrangler 

took a photo of my tj and GF's new 2012 JK
jk11.jpg   jk66.jpg  
thonyg523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #73086
StuddMuffinz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattrhicks
Did the skid rust repairs today..came out good..and took care of other rust aswell
Liking the toe-shoes...
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #73087
awake07
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is what a jeep is all about. Camping is not the mall, it is not the city streets choked in traffic. Get back to nature with limited distraction and let your jeep take you there. Look around with eyes unclouded by the daily distractions. Heading to harpers ferry in October with wife, kid, dog, and jeep. Any trails I should check out around there?
awake07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #73088
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So I installed a Teraflex SYE, TW Drive Shaft, Currie rear UCAs and Currie Rear adjustable Track bar with Rock Jock bracket this weekend. It's all together and boy does it make a difference.
Here are some lessons learned:
1. If you have a Zone 3" lift, I think you can get away without the rear track bar and bracket. The pinion angle changes but I don't think it is enough to require the angled bracket. The bracket they provide should suffice. I ended up installing it as I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back plus I had already mounted the bracket before I had adjusted the pinion angle. Plus it was the original track bar anyways and could use the replacement.
2. Make sure to verify the JJ will fit in the bracket before mounting it. I didn't and I think the bracket was a smidge too narrow for the JJ. I ended up using a pry bar to get it in. Would have been a lot easier off the jeep
3. Not only have a good pair of Snap Ring pliers. Have a good pair of Lock Ring pliers. The snap ring is really only needed for taking off the snap ring that holds the gears onto the old drive shaft. The lock ring pliers are used 4 times (and I HATE lock rings now!!)
4. The Teraflex instructions are lacking/wrong in three spots:
- You need a 12 point 5/16" socket for the bolts that come with the SYE. The bolts that came with TW drive shaft worked
but they are 11mm and you cannot torque them cause you can't get a socket onto them properly. So you have to use a
wrench to get them on and it gets really tight once you hit the bottom
- no mention of lock ring pliers (grrr)
- Step 11 mentions needing 15mm socket to remove the rear output housing. You need a 13mm (obvious typo).
5. Definitely confirm all the parts are there before starting. I noticed on the Currie rear track bar that the instructions mentioned a greasable bolt. There was none to be seen and also the bolt for the frame side was too big for it. I ended up using the original bolt that I had there for the frame and the non-greasable for the axle. Contacted Gerry from Savvy to let him know and am waiting a response (which shouldn't be long once the left coast wakes up.
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #73089
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddMuffinz View Post
Liking the toe-shoes...
Those Fila P.o.S.'s? I'd rather walk on nails. I love how they are too cheap to add the 5th toe...

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #73090
XxJeepOrDiexX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaderopp

Thanks, it's suits my needs just right! my DD and wheeler does more rescues and DD then wheeling these days, been so busy with work!
I agree, you rig looks BA, but where did you get the diamond plate cover behind the front seats? Looks awesome
XxJeepOrDiexX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #73091
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Refilled the trans case, rebuilt the parking brake on the 8.8 to pass inspection, welded my read UCA's brackets back onto the frame.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #73092
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Replaced my original Mopar battery, which could niner longer crank my jeep.

forumrunner_20120827_080704.jpg

Swapped in one of these...

forumrunner_20120827_080841.jpg

And....dumped the RP synthetic with 7k miles on it and put 6 fresh quarts RP HPS 10w30. The HPS has a high zinc/phosph porous content - something like 1400ppm.

forumrunner_20120827_081234.jpg
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #73093
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep can't hide from the rain in le' garage any longer. Top & doors are going back on this morning. Thanks Isaac. Has anyone put a seal on the rear window bar? The exterior side of it to close against the tailgate? I might try to find a seal. Some rain came in when Beryl & Debbie blew over.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #73094
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLowrey83 View Post
Jeep can't hide from the rain in le' garage any longer. Top & doors are going back on this morning. Thanks Isaac. Has anyone put a seal on the rear window bar? The exterior side of it to close against the tailgate? I might try to find a seal. Some rain came in when Beryl & Debbie blew over.
I've had to piddle with that, yes, rubber side makes direct contact with the tailgate. The idea is that the tailgate pushes against that and makes a seal under the canvas. Since I re-did mine, it has not leaked at all but one side of the stitching on the canvas tabs is coming un-done.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #73095
jLowrey83
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
I've had to piddle with that, yes, rubber side makes direct contact with the tailgate. The idea is that the tailgate pushes against that and makes a seal under the canvas. Since I re-did mine, it has not leaked at all but one side of the stitching on the canvas tabs is coming un-done.
Yeah, I just need to find a roll of sticky seal in the garage somewhere.

Now that I've got the top, windows and doors on, the rain has stopped and the sun is shining. That's my life.

After I got everything buttoned up, I usually throw a folded up heavy duty moving blanket in the tub where the back seat goes. Cut's down on noise and heat. Well, i got a little overzealous while flinging the blanket in there this morning and the aforementioned rear window bar bit me right on top of my skull. I've got a pretty high threshold for pain, but man did that hurt. I was looking for blood.

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.