Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#43,082 ·
added some spacers for now till i can do a MML and BL. Jeep just needs to get towed the damn shop never fixed my electrical short in my running lights/blinkers and charged me $250 and I think the jeep needs a new batt. just need tires, axles, and a BL if i decide 37"s over 35"s but i have 6 months till i get back from school again

Attachments

#43,087 ·
:drool::drool::drool: That jeep looks so sick, are there flare requirments in your state?

#43,089 ·
Not so much today, but the last 3 days sorta just blended into one

Im working on two different jeeps, my first one TJ '97 that was in a rollover accident, im restoring it. And my DD Tj 98'

The green jeep tj 97' had a bit of body damage, i had to unbend alot of the tub, and come up with innovative ways to unbend it.

-I redid the exhaust on the green jeep
-I redid the exhaust on the red jeep ( it was running with no muffler for a long time, man its whisper quiet now...)
-I unbent the major dents in the tub of the green jeep
-I installed a new tire rod on the green jeep
-I made some custom corner guards for the green jeep to hide the damged tub
-I installed replacement roll bars on the green jeep
-I redrilled holes for the tailgate
-I test fit the tail gate
-I painted my custom corner guards
-I repainted other areas that were damaged on the green jeep\
-I replaced a broken wheel stud

#43,091 ·
Replaced old style bushings on my rear RE LCAs. Glad I went to the hobby shop to use their press. Them bastards were in there good. Followed the directions on Stu's site. Found one of the flex joints was real loose too. Now I know what was clunking. Tightened and lubed it and the other arm's also.

#43,092 ·

Got this done today, added the 45 degree peaces and welded most of it up. its really strong, i put the tire on it and stood on it and jumped a little, moved a little but i dont have the latch yet so that will help some. Still need to add the hi lift mount gas can mounts and shovel and axe. a lot of things to do but atleast its moving along.

These are my welds, I think they are pretty good. Be nice im only 17 and have only used the welder like 5 times.
let me know what you guys think.
Clayton

#43,093 ·
getting the water pump and thermostat and valve gasket replaced today. Local shop guy is charging me $430 for all of it.

please tell me im not getting ripped off.... i figured there would be a lot of labor so the price sounded good. I would have attempted to do it myself but I dont have a garage or good tools
Get on NC4X4.com and ask for some help!!! You can do it yourself for a LOT cheaper!!! As stated earlier!

#43,094 ·
First, just had to snap a picture of how ridiculous it is where I live. This is everyday.

Today I got my ddmtuning HID kit and installed one, I'm waiting for the second E Code housing to come in for the drivers side. The difference is unbelievable and with the E Code housings the cutoff is incredibly crisp. I highly recommend this to anyone that wants more light.

#43,095 ·

Attachments

#43,097 ·
Your getting ripped off. With core charge you can get a reman from Autozone for about $60 and $20 of that is refundable when you turn the old water pump in and if you think that crooked ******* mechanic is giving you one any different than the cheapo one they sell at the local autpart store your very naive. A water pump for a pro mechanic should be done well under 2 hours at the max. A valve cover gasket is about $30 and a pro mechanic can do one in about 20 minutes if he is using hand tools instead of air tools. So thats $90 retail cost, which the shop pays about 25% less than you do on parts because they have a corperate account, so knock that cost down to about $50 in parts for them. Add in some coolant fluid which they mark up about 50% in cost from what you would pay at the parts store even though they pay less. Add in 2 hours of labor at $70-80 an hour even though the mechanic probably only makes $15-18 an hour and then tack on $100+.

Rough estimate
Parts - $50-60
Labor - 2 hours @ $80 per hour = $160
Shop fluids $30
Tax and other BS $20

So ballpark around $270 for a realistic shop estimate

+$160 profit fee because shop knows customer is clueless charge

here is a write up on doing a 4.0 water pump, the vehicle model is different but the concept is pretty much the same on all Jeep stright 4 cyl or 6 cyl motors http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/jeep-4-0-water-pump-writeup-1117618/
FML FML FML

after all those comments I feel like THE most idiotic jeep owner on the forum. I always thought the valve cover was more complicated :eek:
I was going to try and find someone on NC4x4.com but I figured they wouldnt want a noob asking for help.

hate my life right now